Beware, San Antonio rip off.

blackswan555

Beware of the cafe`s on the front from the west end down wards especially the one on the corner at the bottom, Stopped for a canya and a cider there yesterday, I had a canya ( small beer about 1/3 pint ) they had no cider so the other half had a coke and a small water ( the smallest you get ) we did notice that the price of none of these things was on the menu, The coke came in pint glass of about 1/2 pint of flat brown stuff and a lot of ice, the canya about 1/3 rd pint, The bill came, €2.80 for the canya, €3.60 for the coke and €1.50 for the water FFS !!!! we stopped and looked at the next 2 restaurants, again no prices for anything besides wine, we asked at 1 with a strongbow sign , €3.80 for a little bottle !!!!! I also noticed a lot of grumpy ( about their food) English, and a lot left on the plates.

Have a good one
Tim

PS I asked the waiter to tell his boss he was a thief, He agreed with me :lol:

Apply exchange rate of a couple of years ago, equals about 2 quid for the small beer, 2 quid something for the coke & a quid for the water.

and your strongbow is less that 3 quid for a bottle.

where do you live.

the cokes a bit much, but i can find places all over the city of manchester that will cost you more.

the rates out of the hand of the bar owner ya?

I think he's trying to say that even by local standards (where exchange rates don't factor) the prices are high.

But the most high-profile locations in a tourist zone always have higher prices! Not a rip off, just regular commercial practice.

I'm sure there's a place a block away with a pint for a euro fifty ;)

here come the ultra-defensive. cue mr l k for a lesson in economics, followed by an unconvincing argument about how sh*t the uk is.

cheers for the heads-up, blackswan :)

just apply stephen's golden rule of boozing - never booze on the main drag - just go one street back and you'll find god's greatest gift to mankind at reasonable prices. it worked for me in santander on monday!

100_5211.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
dont forget the front bars pay a highter tax than those on the back streets.plus your paying for the view ect.

Excellent advice Stephen.

Also, bear in mind that the brightness of the lighting in a Spanish bar is inversely proportional to the cost of the drinks they sell.... :lol:

Just walk up from the front towards the square where the church. Pop into Cafe Babel and Diego will sort you a reasonably priced beer and some nice tapas. Sorted.

Plenty of cheaper places up the west end, Delila`s up the top is a good one, and many more, as said the further into the back end you go the cheaper, I am just saying, and I do live here and don`t mind the odd canya or 2 and am more than used to paying for "my surroundings" as they say, €2.80 for a canya and not displaying their price`s, bringing you a sh*e coke then charging that for it is ripping you off,
As for the food, The menu looks good but the remains on the plate say different.

Just trying to save you from being shafted like I was :spank:

Have a good one
Tim

When buying alcohol in San An (from supermarkets and bars/cafes) it's best to stay off the main drag. I think the West End in general is quite reasonable for prices but you are right about those cafes on the front.

The closer you get to the sunset strip the higher it becomes- try 6.50 E for a pint of Coke in Sun Sea Bar for example or 5 E for a bottle of San Miguel in Mambo...
These places are in the busiest areas of San An so they are just looking to maximise their profits.

Supermarkets too are well worth the watching. The one on the corner near the fountains (Wips) charges 1.80 for a can of San Miguel but if you walk away down past Bar M there is one off the main drag which charges only 80 cents for the same can- well worth the walk!

Do Café Mambo still have their same policy as last year ? You could buy a pint up to 6 pm @ around €3.50 ish, After 6 you could only buy silly priced bottle`s

Have a good one
Tim

Edited to add, Shop around for your take-out`s, a 33cl can of Heineken should be around 90 cents, Estrella Damm ( my favorite, replaces Stella ) about 60 ish , San mig 65 ish, petrol stations are expensive. back street supermarkets (Spar)are usually better, worth a look in the off licence sometime`s, We get big strongbow cans for €1.30 from Santa Eu offy

Do Cafe Mambo still have their same policy as last year ? You could buy a pint up to 6 pm @ around €3.50 ish, After 6 you could only buy silly priced bottle`s

Have a good one
Tim

Not sure mate only bought drinks at night although it's prob best to bring your own by day and sit outside- just don't buy from the shop next to Mambo- way too expensive!

just don't sit on stairs of the promenade with your own beverages your get chucked off for being naughty :oops: :p:lol:

just don't sit on stairs of the promenade with your own beverages your get chucked off for being naughty :oops: :p:lol:

Often see signs saying this but to be honest theyve gota bit of a cheek, even trying to say you cant sit on the beach in front of the bar if you have your own drink although i never see it policed by anyone from the bars though and ive never had a problem yet

Often see signs saying this but to be honest theyve gota bit of a cheek, even trying to say you cant sit on the beach in front of the bar if you have your own drink although i never see it policed by anyone from the bars though and ive never had a problem yet
I had a manager try to throw me off of Mambo's terrace last summer because he insisted I'd brought my beer (a Mambo-sold bottle of San Miguel) from outside. He insisted he'd seen me down on the beach sipping store-bought booze.

After a good long yell at him, during the course of which I reminded him that not all black people look alike, he relented :rolleyes:
(my wife was in shock... I'm normally very calm and relaxed :lol:)

If you think the beer prices in mambo are bad. Paid 25 euro for jug of Sangria- and still went back for more. Its all about getting ripped off in style.

If you think the beer prices in mambo are bad. Paid 25 euro for jug of Sangria- and still went back for more. Its all about getting ripped off in style.

Thats the way isee it mate. I dont mind paying the 5 euros for a beer in mambo and 10 euros for a coctail for the missus as you are getting ripped off in style. Its got a great atmpsphere, great music and a great view...plus we dont drink that much anyway. ;)

Back