Best Mozzie Defence??

Bez

No longer active
Can any of the people living on the Island help me with some advise, on the best ways to protect yourself from Mozzie bites?

I know deodorants, perfumes and aftershaves attract them like magnets, but does anybody have any other tips that work?

Thanks.

bottles that plug in your room are good.stop them coming in.lemon soap is good as well.and aftersun cream with anti mozzie.boots brand is good.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]If you get bitten[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] and the spot is itchy, try 'ironing' it with a hot cup of tea or coffee - it will magically disappear for ever! Hmmm.
Alternatively squeeze lemon juice onto it[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Avoid wearing perfumes[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] and shower off your body odour as soon as you can, as mosquitoes use smell to track their victims[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Outdoors, wear light colours - mosquitoes know their camouflage - long trousers and long sleeves.
Take especial care of bare ankles underneath restaurant tables, it's the mosquito's favourite dining area, a lovely cluster of veins close to the ground in discreet darkness. Mmm, yummy.
And they'll get you through thin clothes too, so apply repellent to thin fabrics in key places e.g. socks, T-shirt shoulders

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Indoors, hunt to splat. Look under beds, shake curtains, check dark places. In extremis spray the room with [esp. pyrethrum] insecticide, if it has window nets or air conditioning.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1].[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Over here in Benidorm I use Autan. It's like a deodorant stick, and you just apply it to any exposed areas of skin. It smells a bit dodgy but it works!! Or for a cheaper alternative, rub lemon juice on yourself, does go a bit sticky but also works!! :)

Thanks very much guys. Wood, that practical advise that is so useful, thanks again.

Ibiza mozzies are supposed to be 24h party hard animals.....

Just wanted to know did they take extra repellent like a Barry Manilow 12" thumped out at them!

i am sure if anyone played Barry Manilow in there rooms.you would not also clear the mozzie.but everyone else.

Bez where you staying anyway.and when you going out.

i am sure if anyone played Barry Manilow in there rooms.you would not also clear the mozzie.but everyone else.

Bez where you staying anyway.and when you going out.

Heading out early July for ten days. Taking it most easily up north near San Miguel, chilling and re-charging the dilithium crystals.

Hopefully by mid mid holiday I might make it out to a club. Tiesto on Monday looks the Favourite at present. Will stick to the Restaurant mile and the Beaches for most of the Holiday.

San Miguel

you should be ok up that end of the island.they don;t travel that far from the saltlakes anyway in playa den bossa.thats the worst area to get bitten.i 'll let you know how bad they are in late may/early june.i have a letter in spainish saying what needles to give me if i get bitten on my face.i blow up like elephant man.this happen about 4 years ago in costa del sol.thats why i know alot.that bad i could not even put my glasses on right.

Patchouli Oil,a light dab around the wrists and ankles,if there is plenty of air circulation you could risk a touch at the neck.
The oil should be diluted to 5% or less in a carrier oil before direct use on skin.
Problem is Patchouli is the Marmite of perfumes,you love it or hate it !
I Have Marmite everyday..

Last edited by a moderator:
i am sure if anyone played Barry Manilow in there rooms ...
:lol:

ps:
i normally hate such chemical stuff but last year we had terrible mozzie-trouble @
ibiza´s north coast (na xamena) ... so that many people used that stuff below ...
and it helped:
261htgk.jpg

I dont think i have ever go bit in ibiza dont know why. But if you do find yourself having problems deet is prob the best thing you can get tho 100% deet you cant put directly on your skin just around on your clothes. Tho 50% stuff should do the trick in ibiza as the 100% is ment for jungle treks etc.

Im a mobile smorgasbord for Mozzies. There is nothing worse than going around looking like a Leper after being bitten.

I got eaten alive last year, but I was told after all the rain in May and June the mozzies were particularly troublesome.

Its the sneaky, little feckers that wait in hiding in your room that usually get me. Im told that when you hear them, they usually have bitten you and its too late. Most locals tell me that you build up a resistance to them over time and they leave you alone. Juicy fresh tourists they prefer!

Thanks very much for all the practical advise from above posters.

Im a mobile smorgasbord for Mozzies. There is nothing worse than going around looking like a Leper after being bitten.

I got eaten alive last year, but I was told after all the rain in May and June the mozzies were particularly troublesome.

Its the sneaky, little feckers that wait in hiding in your room that usually get me. Im told that when you hear them, they usually have bitten you and its too late. Most locals tell me that you build up a resistance to them over time and they leave you alone. Juicy fresh tourists they prefer!

Thanks very much for all the practical advise from above posters.

Blesss ya Bez - my husband is the same. He ends up covered in huge lumps, the Doctor recommended taking Vit B1 tablets for approx 2-3 weeks before travelling to Ibiza and whilst we were out there, he also recommended antihistamine cream such as Anthisan or Benydryl and taking aniti histamine tablets with us to take daily.

Strangely enough we were recommended Avon's Skin So Soft dry oil spray and its the dogs bollocks 8) - I read about it being a squaddie favourite whilst they were stationed out in Kabul - and thought "in for a penny....." and bought some...... bugger me!! it worked on Phil, he only got bitten on the last 2 days of the hols - when we had run out of spray....:lol:

Also, if you spray the room an hour or so before you go to bed (even in the wardrobes, on the curtains and under the bed) then leave the air con on - that should help too...

like i have said .get the plug ins your room.ok cost a bit but work very well.no smell at all.plus try to get a good tan.making your skin harder.before you go if possible

you can buy the plug ins from any good supermaket.i use 3 in all.last ages as well.so don;t throw the top away.does not matter how drunk i may be at night.i still do a towel check round the room.when you 1st check the room out.check the walls.the more blood marks on it.you know its gonna be bad.like said they are worsted when its damp and wet.or just after its rained.

you can buy a little device thats you press on the bite and its gives it a little shock.its just amatter of finding the right products that work for you.without buying the whole shop.i'll let you know how i get on in may/june.

Yeah Icebaer69, that's the stuff I meant, Autan. But you can get it in like a roll on stick thingy so it's easier to put on, rather than just squirting it all over willy nilly!!!

We use vitaminB for 2weeks before we go and use avon skin so soft shower gel and dry body oil. Also have a plug in for our room. Have used these for the last few years and we are ok while those around us were getting bitten alive. The only bite my husband got last year ws the night we were going home and he did not use the dry skin oil.

Back