Berlins...

Check out salon zur wilden Renate ressie Paramida - she plays outstanding records. Caught her on friday at bar a bar on kingsland rd. (Wicked club) Plays really dark, unclassifiable house, sometimes it was just a simple, menacing kickdrum for what felt like ages - And then she'd tease in some paperclip people or something. Ace!

Nice one! Been meaning to check Bar a Bar

Cheers for the heads up to your berlin thread mate. I was there 2 weekends ago, just wondered what other peoples experiences were of the clubs. Our plan was for a city break doing the touristy stuff with a night out thrown in rather than it being a clubbing break. I was reading a fair few of the write ups on tripadvisor for Berghain prior to going to Berlin, ended up writing one myself, will copy and paste it here for others who might be going or considering going.

Just returned from a long weekend to Berlin, our brief was history, culture and techno :).

We know people who had been to the club in the past and also read / heard enough about the notorious door policy to know what we were letting ourselves in for and what to expect.

Advice and info we were given from various people were to either go when it opens, go early in the morning i.e 7am, the scuzzier you dress the better, just act normal and you'll get in, don't be drunk, there's always a line no matter what time you go at etc etc yadda ya.

We decided to go around midnight and joined the already huge queue, having a look at what people were wearing confirmed what others have said on here and what you may have read elsewhere, very dressed down, very casual, street, skater, lots of black / dark, not too much effort, possibly just picked clothes up off the bedroom floor type of look, scuzzy student dress style etc. I quite liked that as there was no pretence of being label orientated and flashy and therefore people were (hopefully) there for the music, party and to have a good time. Also I wouldn't say it was a diverse mix of people in terms of a 'look' as everyone was sort of similar really.

Anyway as we got nearer to the front of the line we were then able to see people get turned away, what we noticed was there was no pattern, no formula and it certainly didn't matter that you weren't drunk, wore dark clothes, were or weren't gay, acted normal, wore a backpack, didn't breath / blink, didn't say a word, weren't in a group of guys etc, they'll basically turn you away for whatever reason they have decided. We saw male female couples get turned away, girls get turned away, gay male couples turned away, single guy getting turned away, little japanese manga girl turned away, all of whom were acting normal, weren't drunk, and were dressed along the lines as mentioned above. In-between seeing that succession of people turned away we also saw that same demographic being granted entry, there really is no rhyme or reason that you will be able to figure out, you'll either be in or you won't.

We were also the ones who didn't get in, a wag of the finger and shake of the head as if we had been naughty little boys coupled with the words 'no entry tonight' put an end to our two hour wait. I'd at a rough guess say 50% didn't get in but that was only a guess from when the door became visible to us, anyone who tries for Berghain should know what to expect in regards to will they or won't they get in so no point in being pissed off about it, it's either going to be a Yes or No, a 50 / 50 chance of getting in.

Like I mentioned previously it didn't seem to matter what people were wearing as we saw people get turned away who were dressed similarly to people who got in, no one in line was drunk or acting up, it will purely be pot luck as you get closer to the door. Being German wasn't a guarantee of getting in either as we saw plenty of German spoken people being turned away. Also there is no one 'working' the line sussing out who should be let in and who shouldn't, that will happen as you approach the front of the line.

Sven was on the door the night we tried but he wasn't doing the decision making as to who was in and who wasn't, perhaps he may have been later in the night. Also, a couple I met while on holiday a few year back who live in Berlin had told us of times they had been to Berghain, some visits they were let in and others they weren't, sometimes they'd go on a Friday and be in, the next Friday they wouldn't be, same for times they went on a Saturday.

So there you have it, a gay male couple, who are genuinely into the music etc following the same do's and don't as everyone else didn't make it past the front door, we did have a night out at Watergate the night before so at least our brief of history, culture and techno was fulfilled :).

I'm not slagging Berghain off but I've given the rating as average as I can't submit a review without a rating, pretty sure once in that it'll be a great night of music and partying.
  • berghain.jpg

Just returned from a long weekend to Berlin, being an avid clubber a couple of nights out were definitely on the cards.

Having done a bit of research as to what was on and who was playing where we decided on Watergate on the Friday night for the BPitch Control record label night, Ellen Allien who I had heard before along with a guy by the name Chaim who I hadn't heard of prior to this.

We got into the club a bit after 2am, sussed out the layout, who was playing in which room and after grabbing a drink at the bar headed down the dance floor towards the dj booth for a bit of techno action. Music was awesome, right up my street, nice wee vibe going on and plenty people getting into it, Ellen was on at this point and pretty sure she was on until 4am so we were probably catching the 2nd half of her set. We caught most of Chaim's set until we decided to leave about 7:30, certainly one to listen out for, really liked his set and spent a fair amount of time dancing on the raised area that runs down the wall of that room.

We headed to the downstairs room here and there but always ended up back upstairs, downstairs had more of a housey sound going on, still good music though.

A few people on here have mentioned about the door policy, we did see people get turned away but nothing to the extent of what goes on at Berghain. Even though the club wasn't mobbed when we got in our wait was still an hour long, we did notice it was mostly guys in the queue but it was more mixed once we got inside. As far as what people were wearing and dress code, have a read of the Berghain reviews on here and dress in that vain.

All in all we had a great night although certainly nothing any better or wow than we've had at other venues we like to go to that have similar music / dj's. Then venue itself isn't massive, has that dark underground feel to it, no hassle inside.

If you are into techno / underground music then you should be ok here, if you are going just so you can say you've been to Watergate you might want to rethink your plans. Also if Aviici, Calvin Harris, David Guetta are your musical preference you'll definitely want to rethink your plans.
  • photo1jpg.jpg
  • photo0jpg.jpg

Hard luck mate...the time I got in was my 3rd or 4th pop - not that day/night but I had been refused on previous visits. It does hit hard as you know you are really into the music and not just a chancer who wants to see what the fuss is about.

As you say, its pretty random as to who gets in and who doesn't...all i can say is be polite and respectful if they say no, and keep trying! I honestly do not believe there is anything malicious in their decision, they just want to create a good party - it isn't about image or exclusivity.

Glad you enjoyed Watergate! I hope not getting into Berghain didn't have any effect on the rest of your stay.

Hard luck mate...the time I got in was my 3rd or 4th pop - not that day/night but I had been refused on previous visits. It does hit hard as you know you are really into the music and not just a chancer who wants to see what the fuss is about.

As you say, its pretty random as to who gets in and who doesn't...all i can say is be polite and respectful if they say no, and keep trying! I honestly do not believe there is anything malicious in their decision, they just want to create a good party - it isn't about image or exclusivity.

Glad you enjoyed Watergate! I hope not getting into Berghain didn't have any effect on the rest of your stay.

Nah it didn't effect our enjoyment of the weekend at all, obviously a bit disappointing but like I said you don't go there without having heard about the erratic door policy. We did hear from a couple of lads back home that if you have been into Laboratory which is the men only club within the building at the left hand side that you'll pretty much be guaranteed to get into berghain, that is what they had done, they had said you get your hand stamped when you go in there too and therefore show it to berghain door staff when you head there. The theme of Laboratory the night we tried for berghain wasn't really our thing, yellow party..........................doesn't take much working out eh :D.

Always enjoy reading about peoples experiences in Berlin as it underlines that our stress f*ck was normal! First time a very nice chap sorted G List for watergate out for us and loved the place. Thought we would explore this time.

Tip - A couple of nights, Ritter Butzke being one for the weekend we went has resident advisor tickets on sale. It's a bit touristy, but a proper house club, stacks of smiles and tunes. We got tickets and went there first night.

Then rocked up to Berghain about 9am, split our three into two and a one (me the one). Even had my leather on. 'Not for you tonight'. Mates got the same two minutes later.

Came back at 7 that evening (sunday). Also knocked back. Then to Kater Blau. Knocked back. Then to Goldengate. Closed. Then got resident advisor out and found a deep house night so caught a cab. T'was an industry showcase at a leisure centre. That had finished. Finally ended up in club de visionaire, which was a bit shit TBH.

Looking back at the pics, we look like we were off the debenhams mid 30's catalogue, so to be fair if I was charged with letting in the coolest kids in europe, I'd have knocked myself back.

Looking back at the pics, we look like we were off the debenhams mid 30's catalogue, so to be fair if I was charged with letting in the coolest kids in europe, I'd have knocked myself back.

I remember vaguely coming out of the temple to meet Minimarc in the loser-boozer round the corner, trying to cover up his "English lad abroad" custard yellow t-shirt with a scarf or some other "Continental accessory" to have a go at getting us in, but that finger got wagged with something of a stifled snigger and it was off to Wilde Renate to explore toilet cubicles with adjoining doors ! Oh the memories ....

I went to Berghain with my girlfriend a couple of years ago, we had set out alarms for 6am with the intention of going then. slept through the alarm but no drama we went to club de visionaire in the afternoon got pretty pissed then thought fck it lets try berghain at about 6pm. there was no queue and we walked straight in, I think I might have even been wearing a white t shirt. just lucky I guess but it was bloody brilliant in there. we smashed it until 2am then back to club de visionaire for a nightcap. great day.

Most of the clubs are dotted around Kreuzberg or Friedrichschien so aim to stay there if that's what you are going for - loads of cheap options on Airbnb.

Otherwise, Berlin is a very spread out city...although the U-Bahn (tube) is really good and cheap so relatively easy to get about.

Airport is around 30 mins taxi from all these places....taxis generally quite reasonable.

Back