Avicii has died!

Yep - I first met him at Space in 2000 during Pete Tong's Sat night party... he had the table next to us and I didn't really know of him at that time. We were chatting and he's like 'i have to go play a quick set' which he then played a very good deep house set at 7am on the Space terrace amongs djs like Tong, Deep Dish, etc. ... of course within a year he had started to blow up with the more melodic commercial stuff.
He had a table at space when he was 10/11 years old??

Very sad, regardless of thoughts on music he was a legit superstar of his scene. Pretty sad story that I’m sure will come out though and can’t help but feel that those should have looked after him didn’t. Saw him a couple of times because I happened to be wherever and he never seemed entirely comfortable or confident.

My mate was part of a brand that did a Sunday in Magaluf at BCM, then Tuesday at Eden in Ibiza around 2013 I think. We saw Avicii was playing Monday in BCM so decided to stick around and go to Ibiza on Tuesday that week to see what the fuss was about.

The hype was huge. BCM rarely sold out as the place is huge, but this had sold out the day before, BCM kept the price at 50euros AND removed the free bar / all you can drink they normally had. We had VIP balcony but the place was rammed you couldn’t move. The poor bloke basically came in through the fire exit covered by security, did his 90min set then bundled out a fire exit into a car and straight to the airport to go somewhere else. In dance music I’ve never seen anything so ‘superstar’.

Can’t have been an easy lifestyle at a young age and if you do have underlying addictions easy to see how they’d be exposed.

Another bright star is shining in the heavens above.

July 2014 - Giant billboard outside Ushuaia.

Avicii.png

Watched the 'True Stories' documentary and must say the industry has a lot to answer for in his case.

He is clearly asking for help, trying to cancel shows due to his degrading mental heath, even quotes 'all these shows will kill me one day...'

His management company are unimpressed & his agent (Arash Pournouri) states 'Aviici doesn't understand the value of money....' once all the shows are finally cancelled.

There is a case of him falling asleep in the taxi and still being forced to conduct radio shows - it's obvious to see he doesn't look in the right frame of mind.

It was clear to see all the touring was an unwanted pressure and too much for the kid, I just think with more awareness this sad case could have been different....

at its worst, the 'music industry' is pure evil.

everyone is ultimately just cannon fodder, and the mugs who support these bogus events have no idea

Read John Niven "Kill Your Friends" - it's all brilliantly explained in brutal detail.

Back