Armand Van Helden

supermfc

Does anyone know what this guys upto these days?? Is he mainly producing now? Never hear of him doing any sets now

He was such a great producer.

Then he had to go out DJing.

It was all fine to start, until he launched into a solid hour of remixes of heavy metal songs.

My ears will never be the same.

(ps. I think I last saw him right before that time you guys all went. I warned you. You didn't listen!)

where did all go so wrong ?

these were brilliant

- the funk phenomena
- flowerz
- the witch doctor

thereafter, utter garbage.

Whatttt are you talking about?

The mans a genius. By far one of my most favourite Djs of all time. And his production is great also.

I think the witch doctor and flowers weren't his best work.

I heard somewhere he made You Don't Know Me in a 1 day?

Personally, PSYCHO BOUNTY KILLAZ is the best song he ever made. I love that song.

I even love some of his new ****. But, yeah alot is soooo electro trash. But Hear My Name was good, I Want Your Soul is great but, I think the production work could have been alot better.

He has a talent for finding great loops, just, what he does with them, he doesn't add enough OOOMPH.

The heavy metal songs, I find inspiring. The two on the Cd he did that came with a magazine whichhhhhhhhh ummm whats his name, the Bass player from New Order I think, remember everyone was taking a crack at him for playing Armands mix? I think it's just testament to his talent. I went out and brought that remix of Blur - Song 2 (And put it in the mix) and also Killing In The Name Of by Rage Against The Machine, and people where I'm from DO ask for them. Like here occasionally you get a metal head at a gig whose crying cos it's all dance music, drop those remixes and everyones happy. He has a great nack for that.

Olly, when you put the Essential mixes up, his were the first I went for, some were shocking like, beat mixing was gash and the songs he played sounded so, D-grade, 2 hour production trash, but you can really hear his progression. Once he gets going, he ****ing GOES.

The man is a massive inspiration for me.

Not round 7 man. I'm just expressing an opinion of a Dj I like. Theres no rules that say what Dj's people should and shouldn't like.

say what you will about avh, but flowerz is ****ing boss

recently purchased for posterity from discogs (twice, but accidentally)

Flowers definately has good elements but I wouldn't say it's his BEST work.

It's a question of personal taste. It's not up beat enough for me and that vocal kind of drains a bit. But I have played it in setts and at gigs and I most definately will again. It's great for the begining and end of nights but not for the middle.

When I hear it, I think of a small, red room, with a small lamp and a red couch, filled with smoke and girls in little black dresses lounging around after a big night, and red wine, and vodka on the table.

anyone who makes it onto teachers by daft punk gets my vote.

great producer, great dj, totally persecuted after the space terrace incident.

he is playing flamingo nights at pacha this year i think, altho he's not released dates yet

anyone who makes it onto teachers by daft punk gets my vote.

great producer, great dj, totally persecuted after the space terrace incident.

he is playing flamingo nights at pacha this year i think, altho he's not released dates yet
He is a great producer. That is without argument.

But I question his DJing.

Some people are good at one and not the other. He's a good example.

What was the space terrace incident?

I agree that some of AVH's productions are fantastic, a few of them utter classics! I have been totally underwhelmed by any DJ set I have heard of his though. I haven't has the pleasure of listening to him live though.

he played a ghostface killah record, the crowd didn't get it, most weren't bothered.

it was all much ado about nothing. his set was nearly due to end anyway, a few people booed pantomime style when some whopper did a thumbs down in the booth (wasn't brandon, poss derek dahlarge or dave beer), fritz and pepe turned up, there was a bit of tech **** up too i think, which gave the impression the set was cut short.

lawler come on after and played delgado coffee beats so obviously gonna smash it. crowd went mad. people also heard shots from the grassy knoll.

mixmag report he was booted off, goes down in clubbing folklore.

Back