Armand Van Helden

mixmag report he was booted off, goes down in clubbing folklore.
But he appears to do that on purpose, be it gangsta rap or heavy metal.
The way he does it, it's not cute, unique or even interesting... it's just lame.

But he appears to do that on purpose, be it gangsta rap or heavy metal.
The way he does it, it's not cute, unique or even interesting... it's just lame.

i don't get it.

avh plays/makes something commerical and people call him cheesey, then those who go to hear him play it get pissed off cos he'll play dnb or jungle. he does it to take the piss, to stick two fingers up at everyone.

villalobos does the same and it's all part of the enigma of him.

hahaha he does look like him doesn't he :D

See, I think production and Djing go hand in hand. Doing both I think makes you better at both how ever, I think years ago people were allowed to be one or the other, now they HAVE to be both to be recognised.

His production work is DEFINATELY better than his Djing, but, see the things like the rap, the things like the heavy metal, I completely get it and love it. (well, get it as my own personal interpretation.)

Personally, I think the bloke just knows too much than what he knows what to do with.

I think he KNOWS he can play jungle and house and techno and gangster rap and booty **** and everything and because he knows it, he'd be so bored with the usual, run of the mill 2 hour of the same genre **** that he may mixing it up a bit is more of a challenge.

The crowd might not like it, but it's challenging him to do more with different things. Then if they don't like it, try something else. Thats what I noticed with the sets I downloaded of his. You can kinda hear, even with out being there that he's tested the audience, the reaction hasn't been great so, changed, then whipped them up into a frenzy.

Some Dj's have to do that. They look at the audience but, in order for them to work them out to get them going nuts and loving it, they have to test things first. Some people only hear that Dj playing weird **** trying to test the audience to see what gets them, the see the wrong buttons and say "what a **** Dj" but they fail to mention that finally after a while that Dj hits the right button and that the atmosphere of the party of that momment far surpasses what alot of other Djs who DON'T press those buttons could achieve.

Back