Anyone else heard the rumour???

Can they at least put Tenaglia on there ONCE please. It is his destiny to do a 12+ hour marathon there. That is all!

I used to go matter quite often but as everyone knows, the journey home is a bit of a nightmare. I still go there for cocoon which is always rammed and the perfect club for it. But i have seen the club half empty a fair few times when they had quite strong line ups. Agree with olly about the end, that was always my fave club in london, its never been replaced.

:(

went to the Gallery's 15th Birthday the other day, they gave away a great DVD with lots of footage and interviews reminiscing about Turnmills.. this is a teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfekPkPiO1E

after 1m 24s you see how it looks like now inside.. so sad. Tall Paul gets quite emotional in the DVD when he sees it now and talks about how the club started in 95.

With regard to Matter I have to agree with everyone. Great venue and facilities inside but so hard to get to. Would be ok if the tube ran, but without any tube it's just too difficult.

In my opinion if it does close down.. this could be the chance for Cable. Really like this venue too and with the right events it could kick off nicely..

FERD!

Does this have any Trade footage in it? (I suspect not?)

It's just closing for the traditional London lull that occurs in the Summer, a lull that is exasperated by 11 tube closures in that period.

The application for the Change of Use and subsequent re-devlopment of the Turnmills site has, and will, be now be refused.

This is due to the Council and MoS dotting the i's on the contractual deal with Ministry to give it to them to placate them for the forthcoming closure of the Gaunt St site. As part of the deal (which includes some pretty hefty compensation for the Compulsory Purchase), MoS will be given guaranteed re-development rights for the floors above the original TM club (including bar etc), up to 4 storeys.

The application for the Change of Use and subsequent re-devlopment of the Turnmills site has, and will, be now be refused.

This is due to the Council and MoS dotting the i's on the contractual deal with Ministry to give it to them to placate them for the forthcoming closure of the Gaunt St site. As part of the deal (which includes some pretty hefty compensation for the Compulsory Purchase), MoS will be given guaranteed re-development rights for the floors above the original TM club (including bar etc), up to 4 storeys.

Cutting a long story short, MoS will be moving to old Turnmills site?!

give it to them to placate them for the forthcoming closure of the Gaunt St site.

It may be true but I don't believe this bit.

We're talking about two different London borough councils here - local authorities are bound by ridiculous amounts of beaurocracy and red tape between their own departments...and that's before they even think about brokering deals between each other.

I've worked in the public sector - no one has a dynamic business head on them like this.

London superclub matter will close for the summer.

Officials at the three-floor, 2,600 capacity venue in Greenwich have been working over the past few days to avoid closing permanently. In a statement released yesterday, however, the owners of the 02, AEG, confirmed to Music Week that the club "has temporarily closed over the summer period with a view to re-launching later in the year. This decision has been taken by the owners of matter. The reopening will be considered over the course of the next few months and we will keep you advised when further information is available."

The club began in 2008 as a project undertaken by the team behind London's fabric. Housed in the Millennium Dome, its numbers suffered from its far-flung location, but the experience of the club itself was often described in glowing terms, most notably its soundsystem and "body kinetic dance floor." Accounts published elsewhere have claimed that the company owes more than three million pounds to creditors. Nonetheless, the club hosted parties featuring house and techno brands such as Cocoon and Circo Loco, drum & bass legends Andy C and Goldie and more pop-orientated affair like Method Man and Candi Staton. Its temporary closure leaves the city with only Ministry of Sound reliably catering to fans of the big-room dance music experience.

There is no word at the moment where events scheduled for matter will be moving, but keep an eye on RA's event listings over the course of the next few weeks: Parties of this size will surely be finding new homes throughout the city.

I note there is a Facebook group "Save Matter". Halfwits. The only way to save it would have to been to have actually gone there.:spank:

Is that it? Really? Only one regularly-open "big-room" club left in town?

That's depressing. :( In London... London, ffs.

supply/demand....

London is increasingly atomised. Big clubs don't cater for the changing weekend market, which is increasingly less about house/trance and more about emerging micro scenes, or blog scenes, or retro scenes

there still are prominent clubs koko, egg, fridge, fabric, 333, corsica, that impressive new place in Vauxhall name? in London which can pack a few hundred in, but the old 90s superclub model is pretty much dead in the water. If you want that - you can still find it in Ibiza. London isn't Ibiza though...

Matter was poorly marketed and leaving aside rubbish infrastructure/transport, would still suffer if anything because there is a residual geographical snobbery about anywhere outside the East End. In the rest of the UK, people will travel for MILES for a night out, in London, people find it a pain in the arse to even cross the river. Massive cultural difference. When starting a new club these days, you need to think these things through, otherwise you are doomed...

Small clubs and big clubs both have their place.

Sometimes you just want to be in a big room of people. Maybe it's anonymity... maybe the energy. Not necessarily Ibiza level but big.

Still haven't made it to Fabric or Cable. The clubs I have been to (except Ministry, East Village and Egg) reads like a long list of London club closures :lol:

They're closing for the SUMMER?! Who the hell does their business strategy?! After tens of thousands of clubbers have battled rain and snow to attend Matter throughout the winter, the one time when people actually would be more inclined to mission down there, they decide to close? Stoopid!

They're closing for the SUMMER?! Who the hell does their business strategy?! After tens of thousands of clubbers have battled rain and snow to attend Matter throughout the winter, the one time when people actually would be more inclined to mission down there, they decide to close? Stoopid!

The Summer is always quieter in clubs tho isnt it. People go away and the Students go home.

Still haven't made it to Fabric or Cable. The clubs I have been to (except Ministry, East Village and Egg) reads like a long list of London club closures :lol:

Maybe we should ban you from visiting any clubs over here mate, as you seem to have the kiss of death :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Didn't someone make this point on a previous thread and say you were banned from any further London visits?:lol:

Back