Anyone else heard the rumour???

well im far from being in the loop but upon asking for someone's source on another forum I got the following reply.

"My university was in a partnership with them for our final major projects to be presented there. We was all set to spend the next 2 days rigging then filming final recordings there on the Wednesday. We was told on Saturday that they've had to pull out due to going bankrupt....They chose the right bloody time for it"

so looks like bye bye........

.........Matter

MOS are in difficulty and are in the process of restructuring their debt, but not bankrupt.........is this the Club that you refer to???

haha almost exactly word for word the same reply on the other forum Liam. Its getting ridiculous innit. I hope its not true and of course we dont know the details. The Rileys who own it are minted and have a tonne of experience running clubs so im not sure the fat lady has sung

haha almost exactly word for word the same reply on the other forum Liam. Its getting ridiculous innit. I hope its not true and of course we dont know the details. The Rileys who own it are minted and have a tonne of experience running clubs so im not sure the fat lady has sung

I know, I did a search and found the forum :lol: ;)

That Dome is fooking cursed I tell ya, if its true like. Minted or not minted if the place aint making the money the Rileys may just cut their loses.

Disappointing if true.

We went to Hospitality there in March, was pretty impressed by the club, especially the sound system in there.

sticking a nightclub out in the arse end of nowhere with crap transport links and not really developing a brand identity for the club = commercial suicide in 2010..

people will still flock to the dome for one-off gigs McCartney, Prince etc, but why bother for a club night if you can find the same elsewhere at a more convenient site and not freeze your nuts off in the process

My guess is that a lot of things looked better on paper than in reality...

That's a shame - purely for the sound system because it was a genuine experience.

I haven't returned since the opening night though - possibly for a very good reason.

I reckon it's true. My mate used to work for them and got laid off a few weeks ago. I think they're in financial trouble.

The club itself is good but who the f*ck thought it would be a good idea to position it in the middle of the Thames estuary... or wherever it is! It's miles away, transport links there are sh1t, I'm not surpised people dont want to go there.

We need a new club in London please!

well i think the argument of why the hell did they do it in the first place leads to the fact that its probs nigh on impossible now to get a decent club with propper opening hours anywhere apart from places that are hard to get to. Look at Ministry , thats been there for years and now theres a good chance will be lost to yet another property development like those that sucked up the cross / key

From my perspective, the club situation in East London seems to be in flux at the moment. A lot of promoters I know are going for one-off licences in non-club venues (pubs, galleries, converted warehouses) and avoiding established venues altogether. Even Secret Sundaze have changed tack recently back towards a word-of-mouth policy. I am going to try The Drop on Thursday, a small-ish basement under the Three Crowns in Stoke Newington. Weatherall has a new monthly freebie on there, which sounds pretty mega. After the big campaign to save it, Plastics is on probation, and beefed up security has made it a much tenser experience but the hope is the authorities will ease off in time. I went to the dalston superstore for first time last weekend when luke unabomber was on - very, very good space and mixed vibe - plenty of girls too for those of you shy about dancing with the bears! Sosho was recently destroyed by a mysterious fire - no way back.. For your dirtier nights, am hearing lowkey is the next biggie (not sure where that is though?) The party pubs are doing very well - I know the guys pretty well who do the big weekenders at the horse & groom and horatia (Neil/Ali/Guille & co) and they are getting big names in, and they're very popular esp the bank hol parties, but they are so crowded and dancing in a pub is never the same, imo although mornings in the star of bethnal green can be great fun. The other space worth checking is the Camp [City Arts Media Project] on City Road - very basic space, feels more like a band's rehearsal studio with a makeshift bar, but the system is good and the staff/music policy are decent - James Priestly is the main man in charge but he's said it's only a temporary space. East Village carries on - attracting brilliant guests but utterly lacking in character. The 'rave shed' off great eastern street is an awesome space, but rarely used for parties these days. South of the river is virtually dead, the wonderful Corsica apart. Cable has had to go commercial (eg Jaded), because the numbers weren't there. DEX in Brixton should be reopening soon. Down the road, Plan B has reopened after the fire there - although that place is always lacking in atmosphere if not numbers..
In truth, generally uninspired by London clubbing at the moment. Nothing has replaced The Key and The End for me and under the current regime, I can't see any real improvement soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its true about the 1 off events at warehouses but that is becoming much like the club scene as the same venues get used over n over again. Nearly every invite i get on facebook is "Secret Warehouse Location" . They r fun the smaller parties but ive recently found the love again for big venues so altho there are some great smaller scale things going on they dont always hit the mark. I dont think theres anything wrong with wanting a night out in a nightclub sometimes and it seems its getting harder n harder

:(

went to the Gallery's 15th Birthday the other day, they gave away a great DVD with lots of footage and interviews reminiscing about Turnmills.. this is a teaser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfekPkPiO1E

after 1m 24s you see how it looks like now inside.. so sad. Tall Paul gets quite emotional in the DVD when he sees it now and talks about how the club started in 95.

With regard to Matter I have to agree with everyone. Great venue and facilities inside but so hard to get to. Would be ok if the tube ran, but without any tube it's just too difficult.

In my opinion if it does close down.. this could be the chance for Cable. Really like this venue too and with the right events it could kick off nicely..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back