An American in Ibiza...2010

There's no Basement in the Alamo…

And I am still very disappointed to have to tell you that there are no whores in the Amsterdam Airport. This doesn't stop me from hitting on every blonde haired Dutch girl I see. Obviously I'm not wearing wooden shoes so I get no play (It's just gotta be the shoes). They are a little more casual about being hit on than I expected. They even smile back and I'm thinking it's because their feeling I'm cute attempting to hit so far out of my league or maybe I'm Captain Picard's retarded American brother. Either way I don't care since I'm getting smiles back. The buzz I had was wearing off and that simply wouldn't do. It's was early in the morning on my second day of vacation. Sure, I hadn't arrived in Ibiza yet, but sobriety was not an option.

The lay over was an hour so I figured I had time to power some shots but first to I had to navigate a monster airport to find the gate. An hour though the maze of passport control counters later, I arrived at the gate in a paranoid sweat. I figured I'm too late but there are fifty people with no plane and no one at the counter. This is par for the course for Span Air. The airline runs like a gas station you're expecting to be open during siesta when you're out of fuel and it's raining. Forget it. Lay back in your car and go to sleep till they knock on the foggy windows.

Once the plane-less gate was in site, I was overpowered by thankfulness for their inefficiency. There is no one there to ask how long the delay will be and I was thinking a good beer buzz before mid-morning would be exactly what the doctor ordered. I had a light sweat breaking out on my brow from the fast walking paranoia and a little alcohol coming out of the pores.

A short distance from the gate was a kiosk with knick-knacks of various amster-kishe. I'm eyeing the screw top bottles of airport wine like a hobo discovering a fiver in the street. The beer buzz fantasy leaves with a “pop” but I'm thinking God bless the Amsterdamians and their liberal airport drinking policies. The plane is more than an hour late and I've made three trips back. I've been getting the same speech each time from the counter creep. He's insisted on telling me I can't take the purchase on the plane twice. The third time I smiled politely and patted his hand when he goes to give me the change. I said what a good job he was doing in my old man cartoon voice.

By the time the plane pulled up to the gate I was sufficiently medicated. Still, it reminds me of Buddy Holly Airlines and so why not go back for one-for-the-air? After all, I was getting on a tiny plane that *dramatic pause* might be my last ride. I'm off to the shop where Creepy McCounterdude-Creaperson has been replaced by a girl who looks more hamster-ish than Amster-ish. She's giving me the “tsk-tsk” as I've been in line for two people and decided waiting to pay for the wine before drinking it is no longer in fashion. From her fading looks and rotund body, it's obvious she gave up her window for a more lucrative career of a minimum wage airport job. I can't resist but to let her know she's about breaking even with the window job she gave up but this is a good choice since you'll get a few less diseases at the airport. She has no idea what I'm talking about but the guy behind me got it and dropped his bottle of water on the ground laughing. I love a good crowd. Please, hold your applause and tip your waiters.

The plane was in final boarding as I downed the last of the bottle in front of the girl taking the tickets. My eyes are bloodshot enough for her to tell me I'm not flying but she's an auto-bot that wouldn't' care if I walked up naked with my passport and a ticket. I was in “Mr. Bean” mode and was thinking of what character I would portray for whatever crowd I can muster. I almost felt sorry for the older lady sitting on the isle that I ask to move like a mime with props since I'm pretending not to be able to speak whatever language she decides to try and use with me. I'm 100 percent not interested in whatever she has to say since she's passed the youth-attractive threshold at about the same time the last Span Air flight was on time…perhaps in the 80's.

She says something in a language I can't speak called “Smalltalk.” I shrugged and said, “No speakey Smalltalk.” This makes her do a double take and she asked a couple more questions. I just shrugged and smiled until she gave up. The couple of hours of flight time were spent watching the IPod without annoying old-dried-up-person interruption.

When the plane landed in Madrid, she stood in the isle I asked her in perfect English, “Can you get my bag from the overhead?” Finally, the Gods of Karma decide to pay me back for my ****ty attitude and she harrruffed in her moment of realization that I could speak her language. I was forced to rescue my own bag from the overhead as payment. Good trade.

The tiny plane we were on landed and taxi'd to the furthest point at the end of a building at the very end of the runway. Being an hour late, there were people who were panicked and nearly rioting to get out of the plane. I felt bad for them since there was a large group that had their carry on bags taken away as they tried to board the plane with its tiny overhead bins. That luggage was an hour late to get to its connecting destination too so they might never see their carry on again. The efficient crew that would not let them board with these bags were not there to give them back so they were treated as checked luggage. A couple was arguing with the employee directing them to go into the cement bunker walkway that led to the regular airport. They did not want to leave without their carry on and were being rather adamant.

I thought I was helping when I stepped in the middle and offered my bag. The couple speaking mostly Spanish did not understand so I explained that one bag was as good as the next. The ground stew broke my deadpan by laughing so I withdrew the offer and continued on to the bunker walkway. The couple had now stared arguing with each other instead so I figured I did my good deed for the day. Your welcome Span Air.

L.

www.anamericaninibiza.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Ma-dread and Bogie

I've never been out of the airport in Madrid. It's and endless glass hanger tha only has one level and has only people inside. That doesn't mean I haven't seen most of the city. At least that's the way I felt walking that monster. What they could have put between the walkway and the ceiling could easily be enough room to house all of Europe's homeless. I was sure it stretched the entire length of the town by the time I got from one end to the other. I glanced at the sign showing the location of the gate and it actually said “your walk to gate J is 20 minutes from this point”. Luckily, when I thought I was next to the gate, I found a wine and cheese joint with tables you could stand at…as in no chairs and counter tops at waste height.

It's late-early-mid morning and doesn't that sound like the perfect time for more wine?

The shop had most of their menu in both English and Spanish so ordering was no problem. The girl at the counter, on the other hand, spoke no English so getting a wine recommendation turned into a pantomime circus. I wound up with something that cost 15 Euro's a glass and tasted like a Pino. Still, not bad for a random choice that would have paired closer with nuts. I ordered some bread and they served some kind of half-sour dough monstrosity you would only find at an airport. I haven't had homemade bread in months so I would have welcomed fresh rye at that point. Plus, with a glass of not-too-bad wine, any sugar-loaf taste good enough to savor. The meat served with was greasy but supposedly a delicacy so I did my best to feign that it had some flavor other than shoe-soul and smiled politely at the help as I stuffed it in the trash when they weren't looking. I broke out a one ounce peanut butter packet from my backpack and made due.

The scent of fresh bread started me feeling a bit nostalgic for New Orleans and Risings bakery. My great grandmother's house was directly in the path of the levee that busted during Katrina so there's no going home on this one. Mornings in the lower 9th ward brought gun shots and the smell of a bread that you have to taste once in a lifetime. Gunshots make everything taste so much better if you have no holes afterwards. Feeling so nostalgic, I figured it's time for an American to do something a-typical.

Out of the book bag came the Apple and onto one of the standing tables I set up a showing of “Casablanca” for any that felt like a watch-and-nosh. Bogart's one of my personal heroes for his ability to drive stunning women crazy with average looks. No, I don't look like Bogey, but I do find myself dating 8+'s for unexplained reasons. I'm sure I have no appeal so I can't explain what they see in me. I'm also sure I'm the only man in the world who complains about getting used for sex.

The little speaker on the Apple isn't loud enough so I plug in the Bose portable I'm so proud of. By the time Sam's playing their song again, the tables are filled with a standing room only crowd. The counterinsurgency to the Nazi menace at Rick's Place continues as I sip glass after glass of wine for two hours without a bathroom break.

The crowd makeup kept shifting as people come and go and I'm watching the crowd more than the movie. There was a middle aged woman who kept re-positioning to get closer to the screen. She was wearing white and I noticed a monster ring on her finger that her husband placed smartly warning all she's in a league you can't afford. She stayed for the entire film so I'd guessed correctly that she had a monster layover like mine. By the time Bogie's telling Ingrid to go, I'm imagining holding hands with the married vision in white. All I can muster up is to a napkin to dry her tears as she collects her things. She smiles, looks at me with her big streaking eyes, and says in a German accent, “Thanks for dat. American Ya?”

This gave me pause as irony is never wasted when absorbed through the ears. I did manage to come back with a short, “Here's looking at you kid.” I punched her playfully on the chin and this causes her to laugh through the tears as she walks away. I figure I'll top it off since the mood is perfect and yell at her, “We'll always have Madrid!” She turned around and ran back to give me a hug and I ruined the moment by miss-judging it as I tried to kiss her. She gives me the no-no head-turn-away and politely pushes me away. This gets a small round of applause from those left as the movie ends and I've lived though my own dramatic moment without having to deal with Lugers or jack booted thugs. Of course that's not a bad combination for the people who invented the monster airport or their lettering system.

After packing everything, I started to walk to the gate and realized I've walked to the wrong end of the airport and now had to go back to the other end. Why they chose to put the alphabet in the wrong direction for gate J I still haven't figured out. When you have 10 minutes to get to your gate and the sign says “20 minutes from this point” you do tend to panic a little. By the time I get there I'm once again in a sweat thinking I've missed the boarding call only to discover that Iberia Airlines staff and the plane has once again not even bothered to show up by the time the plane is scheduled to leave.

L.

Ibiza ****ing Island, Baby!

The last few minutes in the Madrid airport were spend standing in a line I didn't need to be in while still sweating from the wine airport gate marathon. I should have just sat down and approached the gate when the line was gone. Instead, I stood along with 50 other lemming idiots for no apparent reason. By the time I got to the front of the unnecessary line, I was sweating since the design of the airport didn't allow for moving air along the end gates. This is a mystery and of course my luck to have to go to that gate. It's also another marvel of unexplained Spanish engineering.

The gate stew doesn't even bother to check my ID when she takes my ticket even though I'm sweating like I was wearing exploding underwear. Security in Spanish Airports is a murderous tragedy waiting to happen. I'm shaking my head and laughing out loud as I walked down the ramp to the plane. The couple behind me was giving me strange looks as I'm kind of dancing down the ramp singing “The Bottom Line” by Big Audio Dynamite. A couple of skips and some big arm movements later and I made it on the plane feeling no pain in good old Spain (and no rain actually falls on the plane, mainly). It's 4 seats wide and I'm in the front row. This was one leg of the trip that I thought would be worth a little more for the premium seat. Plus, I knew I would have no interest in being sober or waiting on a coach beer.

I was the only one in the front section and as the door closed, the last memories of Ibiza in 2008 crept back into my foggy living dream. The feeling was more than a little overwhelming and it filled me with the kind of anticipation that closely resembles a floating moment when the adrenalin kicks in if you're in immediate danger.

In case you missed my 2008 review, here are the highlights:

· The Garbi: Jewel of Playa & it's Circus Freak disco
· Space & the glitch-step
· Anfora/D'Alt Village and sneaky German gays
· Less than Privleged at Tiesto
· The crap-hole Jet Apartments
· Boring Boring – nuff said
· Naked Beach thieves and forested fornicators
· I am the only person in Europe that tips
· Ghost Taxi's
· Damned Amnesia and the frottage attack

All of that…piece by piece…faded in and out of my memories causing time to speed up and slow down as it has in the past with all of my momentary brushes with clarity of purpose.

I've shaken the hand of 4 presidents, coined the phrase “Van Halen Kicks Ass” in an elevator with Michael Anthony in 1984, starred in a commercial with Buzz Aldrin for Snapple, and had numerous other brushes with greatness so incredible that I put most of it out of my mind for fear of expecting the surreal to become my reality.

None of that compares with the feeling of seeing the island from the window as we broke free of the clouds. I let out a little uncontrolled yelp as the emotions welled and I heard some sort of commotion over the “Search of Sunrise 2” I've been listening to since I got on the pane to get in the Ibiza swing of things. I took off my Sony Digital headset to the plane behind me applauding at the sight. Except for a party plane to Jamaica, this is the only time I've been on a plane to a vacation destination where everyone applauds at the mere sight of the destination (they actually waited until we landed in Jamaica to applaud and that might have just been because of the rough flight).

The narrow deserted channels and mini-fiords mixed with the unmistakable browns, greens and beaches of the White Isle are clearly visible as we circle around the island for an over DC landing. Of course I see a 4 bedroom Catamaran sailing around one of the deserted picture-perfect beaches as we line up for the final approach. I'm planning on buying one and sailing around the Med and the Philippines/Thailand area as I write a book about my war experience. The sight of the Catamaran reminds me of the rewards of the future if I can just make it through another year of war. More melancholy bull**** to deal with but it did stack the emotions enough to make my eyes feel teary.

As the landing gear came down, I spied an uninhabited island (due to the ridiculously steep landscape) and I wondered what it would cost to build a villa and a theme-park like gondola to get there from the mainland. If I had and unlimited supply of money my imagination wouldn't be able to keep up with my hunger for designs of panty wetting displays of wealth.

I spotted DC's just before the landing and firmly decide I can't leave the island without going there this trip. I missed it the last time but that won't happen again.

L.

I'm glad it sounds like you've taken people's recommendation on DC10... it was my favourite club on the island this year, and I'm sure you'll have some tales to tell!!

The last few minutes in the Madrid airport were spend standing in a line I didn't need to be in while still sweating from the wine airport gate marathon. I should have just sat down and approached the gate when the line was gone. Instead, I stood along with 50 other lemming idiots for no apparent reason. By the time I got to the front of the unnecessary line, I was sweating since the design of the airport didn't allow for moving air along the end gates. This is a mystery and of course my luck to have to go to that gate. It's also another marvel of unexplained Spanish engineering.

The gate stew doesn't even bother to check my ID when she takes my ticket even though I'm sweating like I was wearing exploding underwear. Security in Spanish Airports is a murderous tragedy waiting to happen. I'm shaking my head and laughing out loud as I walked down the ramp to the plane. The couple behind me was giving me strange looks as I'm kind of dancing down the ramp singing “The Bottom Line” by Big Audio Dynamite. A couple of skips and some big arm movements later and I made it on the plane feeling no pain in good old Spain (and no rain actually falls on the plane, mainly). It's 4 seats wide and I'm in the front row. This was one leg of the trip that I thought would be worth a little more for the premium seat. Plus, I knew I would have no interest in being sober or waiting on a coach beer.

I was the only one in the front section and as the door closed, the last memories of Ibiza in 2008 crept back into my foggy living dream. The feeling was more than a little overwhelming and it filled me with the kind of anticipation that closely resembles a floating moment when the adrenalin kicks in if you're in immediate danger.

· Ghost Taxi's

All of that…piece by piece…faded in and out of my memories causing time to speed up and slow down as it has in the past with all of my momentary brushes with clarity of purpose.

I've shaken the hand of 4 presidents, coined the phrase “Van Halen Kicks Ass” in an elevator with Michael Anthony in 1984, starred in a commercial with Buzz Aldrin for Snapple, and had numerous other brushes with greatness so incredible that I put most of it out of my mind for fear of expecting the surreal to become my reality.

None of that compares with the feeling of seeing the island from the window as we broke free of the clouds. I let out a little uncontrolled yelp as the emotions welled and I heard some sort of commotion over the “Search of Sunrise 2” I've been listening to since I go on the pane to get in the Ibiza swing of things. I took off my Sony Digital headset to the plane behind me applauding at the sight. Except for a party plane to Jamaica, this is the only time I've been on a plane to a vacation destination where everyone applauds at the mere sight of the destination (they actually waited until we landed in Jamaica to applaud and that might have just been because of the rough flight).

The narrow deserted channels and mini-fiords mixed with the unmistakable browns, greens and beaches of the White Isle are clearly visible as we circle around the island for an over DC landing. Of course I see a 4 bedroom Catamaran sailing around one of the deserted picture-perfect beaches as we line up for the final approach. I'm planning on buying one and sailing around the Med and the Philippines/Thailand area as I write a book about my war experience. The sight of the Catamaran reminds me of the rewards of the future if I can just make it through another year of war. More melancholy bull**** to deal with but it did stack the emotions enough to make my eyes feel teary.

As the landing gear came down, I spied an uninhabited island (due to the ridiculously steep landscape) and I wondered what it would cost to build a villa and a theme-park like gondola to get there from the mainland. If I had and unlimited supply of money my imagination wouldn't be able to keep up with my hunger for designs of panty wetting displays of wealth.

I spotted DC's just before the landing and firmly decide I can't leave the island without going there this trip. I missed it the last time but that won't happen again.

L.

people used to applaud in the old days when our Dan Air London charter flight would land in Barcelona - whether that was jubilation at arriving in Barcelona or jubilation that we had made it there in one piece, I will never know.

· Ghost Taxi's

None of that compares with the feeling of seeing the island from the window as we broke free of the clouds. I let out a little uncontrolled yelp as the emotions welled and I heard some sort of commotion over the “Search of Sunrise 2” I've been listening to since I got on the pane to get in the Ibiza swing of things. I took off my Sony Digital headset to the plane behind me applauding at the sight. Except for a party plane to Jamaica, this is the only time I've been on a plane to a vacation destination where everyone applauds at the mere sight of the destination (they actually waited until we landed in Jamaica to applaud and that might have just been because of the rough flight).

L.

so then you landed right?

seriously, Roy J Fredericks II, wherever you are

you can't leave us hanging like this

DID THE PLANE LAND OR NOT :?::!:

still no sign?

hmm...

I'll hazard a guess he:

1. is dead
2. got wounded in action, lying bandaged in a military hospital in Manila
3. is in a spanish jail in ceuta somewhere coughing up dust
4. joined a patriots' militia in Wyoming and has declared war on the FEDS
5. ran off with a yemeni waitress and now has new priorities
6. has been deported back to the US for unspeakable crimes against the Spanish Constitution
7. is selling designer narcos in Guadalajara for the splinter Rodrigo Rodriguez cartel
8. is now working somewhere without internet access
9. hates this forum because it didn't give him enough love
10. just got bored of telling his story to the internet, especially when he realised there was no money to make out of it

still no sign?

hmm...

I'll hazard a guess he:

1. is dead
6. has been deported back to the US for unspeakable crimes against the Spanish Constitution
7. is selling designer narcos in Guadalajara for the splinter Rodrigo Rodriguez cartel
10. just got bored of telling his story to the internet, especially when he realised there was no money to make out of it

Like Blackadder hes too cunning to be shot, wounded or banged up in Jail so 1-3 is out.

Not the militia type so not 4.

5 yes.

6 No, mainly because he would know somebody that would bail him out.

7 No. Not a salesman his "people" skills would be lacking.

8 Most likely. Either no access or restricted.

9 No. doubt he gives a F**k about this Forum.

10 Possibly.

My Guess is that HQ noticed his Blog and told him, that in the interests of his own personal security and that of his corps, that he stop publishing material while in the employ of Uncle Sam.

Dear Mr Fredricks,

I'm Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor, from now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and the last word out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?

Now shut the F##k up!

the other scenario is that all of it (2008 included) was an elaborate spoof and that either

a/ the guy had never been to europe (let alone ibiza)
b/ had plagiarised somebody else's story and embellished it to high heaven

I would love to think that the whole thing was the brainchild of Fat Phil B, which would be the greatest thing on the internet ever.

the other scenario is that all of it (2008 included) was an elaborate spoof and that either

a/ the guy had never been to europe (let alone ibiza)
b/ had plagiarised somebody else's story and embellished it to high heaven

I would love to think that the whole thing was the brainchild of Fat Phil B, which would be the greatest thing on the internet ever.

Thats another plausible deduction

Or......

Could AAII be the date who was about to be outed by the girl known as Happy Accident and has not dared post anymore?

still no sign?

hmm...

I'll hazard a guess he:

1. is dead

...now that is a fantastic plot for the next hollywood blockbuster!!

I believe Arnie is out of a job soon and may be just the role he would fancy!!

Back