Alternative ways to connect to internet

helend

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I have realized that Telefonica cannot install either phone or internet in our house in Cala Vadella. But today I had a call from a person that is helping us a bit that there is a company called Serviman or Servimar, a private company that might have both phone and internet. Does anyone in this forum know of this company?

Have a nice evening,
Helen

I´ve not heard of them but I´m usually one of the last to hear of the latest in technology.
We are using the Vodafone wireless thing for our internet.
Vodafone’s 3G network is now in operation in Spain, offering an Internet connection via technology similar (more advanced actually) to your mobile phone. Recently I saw them offering unlimited Internet via 3G (all you need is a little USB dongle or a PCMCIA card) for 50€ per month. That’s a darn good deal. The speed isn’t quite what you’ll get with ADSL Internet, but you’re looking at about 400Kb to 800Kb download and about half of that for upload - compare that to 512Kb/256Kb for your cheapest ADSL line. The great advantage is that you’ll be connected wherever they’ve upgraded their mobile phone towers to handle 3G, which they’re doing all the time.

I have not used the telefonica version but I know of a few on voda, seems very good, I was thinking of ditching my landline + 512 mb conection ( @ €40 + iva a month just for the net ) but not got round to it yet.
Call into any of the mobile shops to have a look, only downsides apart from the is going to be limited coverage in some area`s, Is I read you can not p2p with it, and if you are going to use more than a little, go for the unlimited package, as the pay per mb can add up.

Have a good one
Tim

interesting, the end of wires for the home phone if they can get the ppm down ?
http://tienda.vodafone.es/vodafone_en_tu_casa/

forgot to add, You could also do it with satilite, €412 to set up, €36 a month, ad in ibiza sun http://www.theibizasun.com/, never used it

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your answers. Would be very easy to use mobile internet, but the mobile connection in our house is appallingly bad.

When it comes to satellite we did talk to the person that have the ad in ibizasun, seems they weren't that interested in doing it, shame.

Will see what Serviman says, if they will answer my request.

Thanks again,
Helen

Have you a reasonable ( usable) signal on either telephonica /movistar /voda, anywhere in or around the house ? If so I notice voda do a wireless router type version of it, even if you have to put it in a box on the roof or up a pole outside, May be a solution ?

Have a good one
Tim

I´ve not heard of them but I´m usually one of the last to hear of the latest in technology.
We are using the Vodafone wireless thing for our internet.
The article I quoted states 50€ per month but it's actually about 40€ per month.

Wohoo, or maybe I should say hallelujah :lol:

Telefonica contacted us to say that the connection problem now is solved, fantastic, so it seems like we soon will have phone and ADSL with them.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

--Helen

Don`t hold your breath :!:
It took them 3 months from them saying I could have ADSL, A very poor 512 + a very expensive €40 = IVA a month + phone bill + line rental + the calls are not cheep by a long way. and I had a line already connected,
I ended up getting my own router and installing it myself after they finally told me that the ADSL had been on for months, It was just they could not find my house ( on an estate with their wire coming in through my door ) to deliver the router.
I have a friend (also on an estate, phones in apartments either side of him) that it took over 2 years to get a line put in, All going to be done in their promised 21 days:lol:
Have a good one
Tim

PS if you need to speak to them in English, call 1004 and I never did figure out when,( i keep saying till it works) but say "English" You will then get an English speaking operator eventually

Oh my god, you where so right. Have since last time been trying to get them to call our spanish contact to arrange to go to our house to install, they have said they will, they have taken their time and today I get an email saying they cannot install the line, problem with pipes. Jesus what a crap company. So back to square one, depressing.

--Helen

Keep on to them !!!! nag nag nag and nag, If you do not you will get lost in the pile !!!!

But a good word for them, My 512k connection has increased to a reasonably stable 1m in the last few week`s for no apparent reason, Perhaps the have a new strong guy winding the elastic bands up in the morning ?
:spank:

Have a good one
Tim

ps If you knew what the paid their (mostly Ecuadorian) worker`s you would not be surprised buy the quality of service you get. If you can manage to speak to one of the more important one`s, I have been told a few € tip with a promise of more when phone is in will go a long way.

It`s Ibiza !!!:lol::lol::lol::spank:

Still no luck with Telefonica so we went to Serviman instead, all done in less then a week, bit more expensive, but it works, wohooo!!!

just add my telefonica story to the mix.

we had some problems trying to make the order (the flat we live in is quite new and on many computer databases, the address is often not recognised), basically because on the website it couldn't find our address.

we could have done it in a shop but that would have been an extra 90€, line installation was free online.

i placed the order last sunday midday. we had broadband/phone up and running perfectly by 11 am the next day!! :eek: :D

Nice result ! I was thinking of canceling my land conection and changing to the voda, I can see the mast from my house so sig is very good , what`s it like generally ?
Have a good one,
Tim

Nice result ! I was thinking of canceling my land conection and changing to the voda, I can see the mast from my house so sig is very good , what`s it like generally ?
Have a good one,
Tim

never had any problems with it.

only issue is remembering to go to the shop to get it topped up. unless you go first thing when they open, they queue is always stupid, well in the ones in town anyway.

I think if you have it you can still use / add credit, Just not buy it any more, Although I just checked the net where it is still on the website, Probably could not be bothered to talk to me....... It`s Ibiza.
Have a good one
Tim

we still use our vodaphone payg chip - but now they dont sell the modem on its own but if you pick one up say in the uk and then just get a normal payg vodaphone sim card and whack it in

the advantage though of the contract is that its a set amount each month and you dont have to pay for the usb modem - on the payg sims you get charged by the amount of data so if you use it alot its cheaper to get a contract

Back