Afterlife at Hï Ibiza 2018

Some DJs just end up playing big tracks in Ibiza maybe due to the high amount of ppl who come to the parties just cuz they're parties.

Case in point- I saw Jennifer Cardini at Dystopia and she played Patrice Baumel -Surge, Blade Runner Remix, DJ Hell- Guede (artbat remix). This could be due to her playing at Ushuaia but I dunno..it was completely different from when I saw her at Pacha for Mosiac 2016.

I hear DJs dropping Born Slippy all the time in my trips as well and other huge tracks. I don't mind, it's nice to hear stuff you know. But I also like hearing new stuff too. Not everyone has to chin stroke, and nothing wrong with hearing big choons
Nothing wrong with playing a classic or big tune. Just when it all gets thrown together like it’s a wedding party.

A house classics night can be played in any town or city across the uk. It’s past djs making an easy buck. I understand there’s a market for it. But should a so called leading club have a house classics night as it’s number 1 night? Things have changed for the worse.

If You go to a lot of clubs in Berlin or Amsterdam and you’ll hear music that blows you away. This is what you should expect if you go to Ibiza.

Can you imagine fabrics, number 1 night being a house classics night??

I’m glad people have a good time there but I just think ibiza clubs should be pushing new boundaries with their bookings.
Personally I also loved glitterbox had such a fun night out and is the only night I've thought suited and works at Hi! Agreed heard nothing ground breaking but if I'm honest other than Cocoon and Underground I don't realty expect that in Ibiza. I just want to have a good night out with my mates and a good laugh, which Glitterbox done!

As you say if you want music that blows you away there are plenty of places for that like Berlin, Dam and Fabric etc so I just want to enjoy my time in Ibiza with a good group of mates and good atmosphere.

The big thing to remember is all these clubs your talking about that wouldn't have a house classic night also don't have 3000+ capacity clubs to fill

If You go to a lot of clubs in Berlin or Amsterdam and you’ll hear music that blows you away. This is what you should expect if you go to Ibiza.

Can you imagine fabrics, number 1 night being a house classics night??

I’m glad people have a good time there but I just think ibiza clubs should be pushing new boundaries with their bookings.

I agree with you but the key point to remember is that Ibiza doesn't care about being artistically cool or pushing music forward. Money talks. I learnt this hard way...

I think there are only 2 scenarios in which Ibiza could potentially get cool again

1. promoters taking a gamble and persuading the clubs to give the back rooms free reign in peak season - in the 90s these were the cool rooms where new DJs cut their teeth - but in a climate that demands instant commercial returns? very difficult.

2. European-style multi-lineup festivals getting licences eg something along lines of Dekmantel at Benimussa for instance - however, as the majors have a vested interest in nothing changing, the idea would get strangled at birth (particularly in the current political climate)

the outlook is depressing for those of us that care - the 'chinstrokers' that Nobbie Q sneered at - the crack troops fighting week in week out to keep grassroots house music alive. not too many of us still have the time or inclination these days but who knows? fads come and go - who knows what will follow urban reggaeton hell?

I agree with you but the key point to remember is that Ibiza doesn't care about being artistically cool or pushing music forward. Money talks. I learnt this hard way...

I think there are only 2 scenarios in which Ibiza could potentially get cool again

1. promoters taking a gamble and persuading the clubs to give the back rooms free reign in peak season - in the 90s these were the cool rooms where new DJs cut their teeth - but in a climate that demands instant commercial returns? very difficult.

2. European-style multi-lineup festivals getting licences eg something along lines of Dekmantel at Benimussa for instance - however, as the majors have a vested interest in nothing changing, the idea would get strangled at birth (particularly in the current political climate)

the outlook is depressing for those of us that care - the 'chinstrokers' that Nobbie Q sneered at - the crack troops fighting week in week out to keep grassroots house music alive. not too many of us still have the time or inclination these days but who knows? fads come and go - who knows what will follow urban reggaeton hell?

I understand what you mean about money talks in Ibiza as well as the points @aregandj raised.

The clubs in Ibiza charge a crazy amount of money but are not delivering. If you paying 50 Euros entry you should expect something special. I doubt things will change much next year.

Hopefully as you mentioned some big European festivals will begin to host a few parties and replace the urban nights. This is a hope rather than an expectation.

Hopefully as you mentioned some big European festivals will begin to host a few parties and replace the urban nights. This is a hope rather than an expectation.
This could be really interesting! Awakenings could easily fill Amnesia and maybe Priv with a couple take overs the season.

This could be really interesting! Awakenings could easily fill Amnesia and maybe Priv with a couple take overs the season.

this comes up all the time but don't forget it is never a clean slate when you come to the island. all the big names that play for your festival around the world will be tied up to longer residencies and contracts in ibiza. think of HYTE. tremendous success all over europe but failing miserably in ibiza. can't see awakenings doing any better.

this comes up all the time but don't forget it is never a clean slate when you come to the island. all the big names that play for your festival around the world will be tied up to longer residencies and contracts in ibiza. think of HYTE. tremendous success all over europe but failing miserably in ibiza. can't see awakenings doing any better.

True. However, depends how much weight they have. You have to hand it to Resistance last year. You get the impression they kind of pulled rank on a lot of people. I.e. you want to play for us elsewhere in the World.... so play for us in Ibiza.

True. However, depends how much weight they have. You have to hand it to Resistance last year. You get the impression they kind of pulled rank on a lot of people. I.e. you want to play for us elsewhere in the World.... so play for us in Ibiza.

Unfortunately many of the Resistance events we went to both this and last year were pretty empty.

I watched last 25 minutes from FJAAK and the were pretty good. Then Rødhåd rocked the club room with a nice techno set. From 3 or so the room was full.
I didn't go to the main room, I saw it from the hall and it looked busy.

Just remembering this night again. Here's the poster I have for it on my bedroom wall. Great times!
15928110924601650825610924280959.jpg

Back