advice for a yank

J

jbunny75

Hi everyone!

I'm going to Ibiza for the first time this Sunday. Is their any general advice that someone can give me about what to bring? From what I read, it sounds like 1000 euros should be enough for the week and I shouldn't bring traveller's checks. Any other advice about the island would be appreciated! I have no idea what to expect, except total madness!

Jen

Hey Jen --
I went for the first time on a lark last year from Chicago via London via Barcelona... I'd say if you're not clubbing every night & not a drinker (or otherwise) & have already paid for accommodation, 1000 Euros could do it.
My husband & I went again this year and spent about $3700 between the two of us, with our accommodation & travel already paid. But we also went out every night except one for a week (but with two of those nights comped -- ugh... that makes me realize how much more we really spent). Overover budget. So that way you feel rich when you come back not having spent every last dime. Deffo no traveler's checks -- pain. Bring an ATM card (and a spare if you can -- one of mine was a bit temperamental, so if I'd only brought that, I would have been S.O.L.)

And you will have an absolute MARVELOUS time. Really. You cannot cannot cannot miss Space or Bora Bora. And if you're confused about what to do -- just go to Bora Bora -- it's a sure thing. :D

Just don't forget to pack a smile!!! (anything else you can leave behind)

whaddup from atlanta......went to ibiza and amsterdam for 9 days total....spent 6 of them in ibiza...and spent most of the money there.....average of 300 euros a day which is 330 USD a day....but we did skrimp and scrounge on anything....vacation is a vacation and we didnt' worry....it was that hi because water costs alot..and i bought enough water to fill my swimming poooll..
hope that helps

oh 9 days=3000 USD
see yall next year
nik

The one suggestion I have is to pack about 3 days worth of clothing, bathing suit, & toiletries in a carry on. I've been to Ibiza twice and the first year my luggage was stolen & the 2nd year it didn't show up for a couple of days.......yikes. Bad luck.
I'm going again this year though so obviously losing luggage isn't a deterrent!!
Last year we were prepared with 3 days of clothing in our carry on and we survived just fine!
Have fun!!

Yeah, pacha4life is right about the money... Just added up my bank statement - a little over $3000 euros for my trip. that was for 2 people.
You'll save $ on things like food. You'll end up eating only 1 meal a day.
Buy tickets to the clubs at the bars or stores instead of @ the door.
You won't need travelers checks, just an ATM card.

If you're not sure about what club to go to... just go to Pacha. Best lineup of any club by far....best night of our vacation this year was Roger Sanchez on Monday. He's the only big name dj that goes on for the whole night (8 hrs).

Don't worry about food too much. There isn't much good food on the island. Though we did find a really good italian rest. in Ibiza town (don't remember the name but do have a flyer for it) If I find it I'll post the name. Other good places we ate were @ Coastline Cafe and Bambudahs Grove.

Pretty much any question you have, someone on this board will know the answer to, so jsut ask around...

hugoboss said:
Don't worry about food too much. There isn't much good food on the island.
[ quote]

i can't believe i read that. eating out must be the business in albany!

hugoboss said:
Don't worry about food too much. There isn't much good food on the island.
I think that is a completely unfair coment to make HB, if you read the restaurant reviews on here and peoples post there is an unlimited amount of good eateries on the Island :twisted:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm sure I won't be to concerned about food when I'm in Ibiza cuz I'll be to busy dancin'! After reading this forum, I'm super excited to head to the island. Now the debate is whether to stay on the island longer and party or go to the mainland and do more cultural things. I only have 8 days in Spain! :cry:

Well, let me rephrase then.... There are many places in Ibiza that have very bland food...For instance pizza in Ibiza is prob. the most bland food I have ever eaten. I could not find one decent piece of pizza anywhere.
We did have some good food, but you had to spend at least 60-100 euros for a decent meal. It was pretty much a waste of time and money to eat lunch in Ibiza.

In 10 days there we had 3 pretty good meals. Bambudahs Grove, Coastline Cafe and an italian rest. I can't remember the name of. You can find good food in Ibiza, but there was nothing spectacular. But everything else just had no taste. And don't get me started about the burger I had at Bora Bora...(my wife almost got sick from the taste of it)
It just seemed to me, that the majority of foods there lacked any kind of spice at all. I will def. be bringing some garlic and parmesan cheese with me the next time I go. That is my opinion.
As for being from Albany. I would take any of the nice restaurants here over any of those in Ibiza. The food there just did not cut it. I would not rate the food in Ibiza as excellent... But I did not go to Ibiza for the food....
When I go on vacation, I expect spectacular food, and I found none in Ibiza. Good yes, but nothing spectacular.

Your best bet is to skip any lunch or small meals, go to 1 dinner a night, and then maybe McDonalds/KFC for a snack in the day.

did you consider going to a Spanish restaurant instead of Italian and American rubbish - oh sorry I forgot, you were in Ibiza, silly me

Tony said:
did you consider going to a Spanish restaurant instead of Italian and American rubbish - oh sorry I forgot, you were in Ibiza, silly me

Yeah I guess my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm American. You guys from the UK are known the world over for your fine cusine, your opinion is much more important.
I don't think I saw a Spanish restaurant anywhere in Ibiza. It seemed the choices @ 90% of restaurants were exactly the same. Every rest. in Ibiza town had pretty much the same menu. Other than paella, I hardly saw any authentic spanish dishes on most menus. But since my wife did not want to try it, I did not get the chance too try it.
I guess I should have eaten just Spanish food while in Ibiza- then I would have realized how amazing the food is. Or maybe you should let me have an opinion and just get over it.

i leave next monday so i will form my own opininon then, but i heard from many other americans that simply "the food sucks" *shrugs* :rolleyes:

but then again, i heard the food sucks in england too.

Sorry I have to disagree, there as soooooooooooo many good places to eat :eek:

Just take the time to look/ask around :rolleyes:

[quote And don't get me started about the burger [/quote]

and when were burgers considered "food" never mind decent food - I have never had a McDonalds or visited Disney and consider myself one of the priviledged few - they originated in America and there they should stay - only an opinion of course

I'm pretty sure burgers are considered food.... Last I checked they were still food...If I pay 8.00 euros for a burger I expect it to taste like food. We ate @ bora bora hoping to get something light before we went to Space. Both of us stopped eating it after 3 or so bites. It was not right. I never had anything that tasted like that.

We did find some good places to eat...But the majority of the food on the island was just plain... You said it yourself, you have to 'look around" to find good food. I'm sure there is great food, but why should we have to put up with the restaurants that serve crap? 4 good meals in an 11 day vacation does not qualify as good eating for me.

Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it anymore..... I give up... All the food in ibiza is amazing... there are no dull or bad restaurants there.. My opinion doesn't matter.. Just ignore it.

hugoboss said:
Yeah I guess my opinion doesn't really matter since I'm American.

I wouldnt take it personally Hugoboss....think they have miss understood American culture, and I think that part of American culture is lots of nice food, big portions at very reasonable prices! That is a rarety over here in the UK...we really have to fork out the cash for good food. So when we go to Ibiza the food to us seems pretty good (espec since you dont have to spend lots)

There probably are some really good places to eat, but like you say, you generally dont go there to eat...so I rekon next time you buy a pizza in ibiza, the extra parmasan is a good idea!

[quote="Whatever, I'm not going to argue about it anymore..... I give up... All the food in ibiza is amazing... there are no dull or bad restaurants there.. My opinion doesn't matter.. Just ignore it.[/quote]

Of course your opinion matters and before you accuse me of anti US I have good friends and relations who are born and bred US in California and Oregon.
My sole point was that to me burgers and pizza are not food they are literally junk and had you looked a little further afield you could have found some very good food in some Spanish restaurants - some of the alioli is superb ( some is bloody awful ) but that is the fun of eating out in finding the good places. Most establishments on the main streets are cafe/bars not restaurants although I agree with you it should still be edible.
Sorry if you took offence

I found some great food in Ibiza - most of it by accident tbh. Found that some spanish restaurants hear a UK accent and automatically give you the burger/pizza menu, but when we asked about authentic food/tapas in San An the locals seemed to really like this and appreciate the interest, also led to great conversations - not mention when it was served was fantastic (if you like that sort of thing).

Shame you didn't come across such a thing hugoboss - really added to the holiday and met some really nice people.

We did have a few good meals when we were there....

I guess we are spoiled here...

But if you don't believe that pizza can be good food... come here and I'll take you to I Love NY Pizza and you'll realize how good pizza can be.

The food in Ibiza is out of this world and very reasonable.

Try Kasbah in San An if you like Burgers - The best burger in the whole wide world!

Il Vaticano - The best Italian I have had in the whole wide world!

KM5 - The best Argentenian food I have had in the whole wide world!

The Curry Club in San An - The best curry I have ever had in the whole wide world!

The Jockey Club - The best salad I have ever had in the whole wide world!

Who said the food stinks? :D

Back