advice for a yank

My second year going....and hugo is absolutely right....Food is crap there.... i mean come on how hard is it to cook a fat juicy steak.......island is amazing but the food....i'm getting an apartment witha kitchen next time so i can cook my own. Hostel Mitjorn in san an had some decent food.....savannah had good fajitas.....that's about it.
nik

There are more than enough good and excellent restaruants in ibiza.

The main problem is that most of the cheap places close to most people's hotels are poor.

The food in the resorts like playa den bossa or san an bay is no poorer than Mallorca or The Algarve etc (or anywhere else most Europeans holiday) or better

I think it something Europeans are prepared to live with whilst Americans aren't.

I will not accept inferior quality - if it's not edible then I don't pay for it, quite simple and if more did likewise food would improve.

Pizza's in Ibiza are terrible compared to the UK, never mind America, where they may or may not be better than Pizza Mondo at Marton Shops which is just near where I live. 12" Explosive, no Salami, extra chicken. Superb!!
But I agree with HugoBoss to some extent, while there are truly excellent places to eat in Ibiza, they do take a bit of finding. The majority of tourist cafe/restaurants just serve up crap.
I mean, we were really fortunate to stumble across Fatso's in San An ;) :!:

that's probably true. the tourist cafes serve what they think tourists want. so if you don't want to eat like a tourist DON'T go in them.

here's my rule of thumb
if there are loads of spanish people having a really great time in a cafe/ restaurant - follow them.
if the place has pictures of food on the wall, or is recommended by DJ magazine, or is part of a US based chain then avoid it at all costs.

it works for me an i never go hungry and i never pay a fortune without good cause.

bon profit

let me say from an Italian point of view ,I travelled in USA, Canada, Uk.
Sorry guys, but you don't even immagine what real food is expecially a 1st quality pizza .
Even the best Italian restaurant in NYC is not serving you a real Italian dish. Chicken Parmigiana ? In Italy it simply doesn't exist period , the same goes for Spaghetti alla Bolognese and others BS they sell you.
The best pizza in US (no wood oven though ) was "surprise surprise" at Sbarro (is it the right name?) in Las Vegas.
Well obviously the best Hamburger I've ever had was in USA
The best escargot was in Paris and so on.

If you go to Ibiza you HAVE to eat Spanish and ask locals for suggestion.

I remember coupla years ago in London , I had the great Idea to eat pizza in a "so said" Italian Rest. , geez the pizzamaker was a Viet, lol I think I had what I deserved. :lol:

stephen said:
the tourist cafes serve what they think tourists want.
so if you don't want to eat like a tourist DON'T go in them

spot on stephen :!:

food.gif

hook19 said:
they may or may not be better than Pizza Mondo at Marton Shops which is just near where I live. 12" Explosive, no Salami, extra chicken. Superb!!
:!:

takes me back to my childhood, riding to marton shops on me BMX for a 25p mix up from plescis newsagent, then stopping to look at all the starwars figures in the post office. LOL

Back