Adventures in Menorca in mid-May

Yes, I went to Menorca again at the end of July on a last-minute trip. I could only find 2 available rooms in the whole of the South West it was crazy. On the Sunday I was told that they had started closing the roads to all beaches in the North (Pilar) and South West coast (Turqueta / Macarella etc.) before 10am and no more cars allowed to park anywhere near the beaches after that (wtf ?). Thankfully, I knew another road to Pilar and managed to find somewhere without a patrol turning back cars to park up - and it was still a brisk 45-minute walk to Cala Pilar from there.

On the Monday sanity prevailed and I chartered a boat for myself from Ciutadella instead. But adding 420 Euros a day plus fuel to your holiday budget to get to the prettiest beaches and coves makes for a pretty expensive trip. But totally worth it if you're willing to part with it :twisted:

It's never all plain sailing though. I am actually thinking of writing another review ... this time called One man and a boat - Menorcan Adventures with a dodgy anchor in late July' :lol: !

Well, did you make it out there, Moondust ?

Sadly not Kimajy,

Although not too sadly as the lure of a week in Formentera with 2 trips to Ibiza ( one being for one last tango in Space ) proved too strong. Still very much on the list to do though buddy.

... On the Sunday I was told that they had started closing the roads to all beaches in the North (Pilar) and South West coast (Turqueta / Macarella etc.) before 10am and no more cars allowed to park anywhere near the beaches after that (wtf ?) ...
omg . that early ?
must be almost crazier than in ibiza with all those mostly narrow roads leading to the best beaches which allow just one car at the same time to pass ...
i blame it all on you and your first review from 2012 ;) :twisted:
actually i went to menorca because of that review, then the following year quite a big number of friends went and repeated this year ... and some with family/children already have booked for 2017 !

omg . that early ?
must be almost crazier than in ibiza with all those mostly narrow roads leading to the best beaches which allow just one car at the same time to pass ...
i blame it all on you and your first review from 2012 ;) :twisted:
actually i went to menorca because of that review, then the following year quite a big number of friends went and repeated this year ... and some with family/children already have booked for 2017 !

It has a big attraction for families because of the relative lack of crime, really good bus services etc. Guess it was only a matter of time before people told their friends etc. and there are a lot of all-inclusive resort hotels and Apartments. Just really hope it doesn't get too overcrowded because even though the roads have had a LOT of improvements since I first went the infrastructure and services cannot support many more than I saw in July. Price-wise also it is already pretty expensive in Peak Season - but guess almost everywhere is these days. :mad: There were a lot of very expensive boats and superyachts in evidence also this year. I am more worried about an influx of those than anything else tbh !!!

Before and after the school holidays are still likely bliss. :cool: It's just often a lot windier in Menorca than Ibiza so for kayaks, SUP etc even though you see so many the number of days when conditions are really good can be more limited than you would imagine.

Sadly not Kimajy,

Although not too sadly as the lure of a week in Formentera with 2 trips to Ibiza ( one being for one last tango in Space ) proved too strong. Still very much on the list to do though buddy.

Old habits die hard ! :lol: It'll still be there next year ...

821408a8ba9f0c6d9b9cbfba6fffe69c--feather-cape-white-feather-dress.jpg Beachwear sorted...

Attachments

• 821408a8ba9f0c6d9b9cbfba6fffe69c--feather-cape-white-feather-dress.jpg
    821408a8ba9f0c6d9b9cbfba6fffe69c--feather-cape-white-feather-dress.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 0
we might finally go discover menorca for a few days in september this year - sort of after peak season and before closings. it's not set in stone yet but I really want to finally go and see it with my own eyes. it's the only of the balearic islands I haven't been to yet.

we might finally go discover menorca for a few days in september this year - sort of after peak season and before closings. it's not set in stone yet but I really want to finally go and see it with my own eyes. it's the only of the balearic islands I haven't been to yet.
Same for us...Can we go with you?:lol:

Likewise, in Mallorca at the moment, looking forward to the end of May and Ibiza though.

"The media has spoken with Cristina Gómez, Minister of Housing of the Consell Insular de Menorca, who has said it so clearly: “We do not want to be Ibiza or any place of banalities. I don't think any Menorcan wants it "

🤣🤣🤣

Back