Adventures in Menorca in mid-May

already went to cova 3x for their sunset. right now they were open only sat + sun from 6-9pm.
made almost 1.000.000 pics there ;)
probably one of the world's very best locations !

yes ... kayaks are everywhere around here, saw many in fornells and even in the port of mahon.

rentalcarcompany won't be amused ... in 8 days i drove almost 1400 km ... and it's not over yet ;)

they just began works to reopen your hotel ... painting outside etc
even in caladenporter some nice places like ALOHA (polynesianstyle cocktailbar) or SA PAISSA ... oldschool-institutions alive since 35 to 50 or even more years !

already went to cova 3x for their sunset. right now they were open only sat + sun from 6-9pm.
made almost 1.000.000 pics there ;)
probably one of the world's very best locations !

yes ... kayaks are everywhere around here, saw many in fornells and even in the port of mahon.

rentalcarcompany won't be amused ... in 8 days i drove almost 1400 km ... and it's not over yet ;)

they just began works to reopen your hotel ... painting outside etc
even in caladenporter some nice places like ALOHA (polynesianstyle cocktailbar) or SA PAISSA ... oldschool-institutions alive since 35 to 50 or even more years !

Haha - brilliant !!!!!!!!!!

Nice to hear the hotel got a facelift ... I expect the room prices will go up now :spank: ... Cala d'en Porter has a nice atmosphere - relaxed but not completely dead. I remember going swimming in the sea off that beach which is such a short walk from the hotel in May which was a bit cold but not freezing in the water, but FREEZING when I came out into a strong wind ! Can be a bit exposed. Not like those sheltered beaches in the South West, which are just amazing.

I agree with most of that ! Really missed Menorca last year (apart from the difficulty getting fed after 9pm !). Would like to go back :)

I agree with most of that ! Really missed Menorca last year (apart from the difficulty getting fed after 9pm !). Would like to go back :)

the last of the balearic islands I still haven't visited, need to go soon.

Getting nostalgic, Icey ? ;)

I confess I returned to Menorca in late June after my trips to Ibiza and Zante. Spent about 3 days there and had an amazingly good time even though I was pretty knackered when I flew out. Got a last-minute flight there via Palma and rented a Nissan Juke from Enterprise (really need this car for the remote roads). I stayed this time in Cala en Bosc on the South West tip of the island.

It was more of a family resort and lots of touristy restaurants in the Port but was very hard to get a a room anywhere as all the hotels were full around that side of the island even then. Wound up with a comfortable Apartment with pretty much broken aircon and needing a refurb at Roc Lago Park for about 100 Euros a night, big but basic. So not "super-cheap" ! On the plus side the Apartment was about 200m from the main hotel in a separate block with loads of parking outside in a place with almost none, so the important things were sorted !

There was Menorca's only flyboarding off Son Xoriguer beach very near the Apartment and I did 2 sessions there with the French instructor, one on the 1st day and another the following day, really got MUCH better at it, really went up very high and got to grips with the "dolphin". Lots of fun, but they were doing it off a jetski near kayaks and windsurfing lessons so was a bit hairy for a beginner because often the jetski was very close. Also had to wear a silly rugby skull cap for "health and safety" the purpose of which I didn't understand until I crashed down one time and hit my head on the jetski, fortunately just after landing in the water lol. Won't make that mistake again !!!! But was fine and carried on. Also tried out the seabob thing ("motorized snorkelling") which was a help to navigate through very strong currents but I prefer the natural way.

I managed to get up to an extremely beautiful part of the North on the last full day - very long walk from the car on the Cami de Cavalls to a remote beach (Cala del Pinar), which wasn't deserted but far from "busy". Few piccys to follow for good measure - but didn't take many because of the amount of nudity !

Fell in love with the island again will definitely return.

11168758_948031778596808_3065557072319590285_n.jpg

Start of long walk

11403374_948031995263453_7939632906750472880_n.jpg

Els Alocs

11659277_948032215263431_1748923878008408621_n.jpg

10995677_948032565263396_1297863173292131368_n.jpg

11403184_948033015263351_1743297331808206824_n.jpg

11709644_948033405263312_7857298448444774903_n.jpg

11659232_948033441929975_8037390764799814813_n.jpg

11692721_948033788596607_6497167051776707706_n.jpg

Getting nostalgic, Icey ? ;)
Fell in love with the island again will definitely return.
:) :cool:
:rolleyes: you won´t believe how many people went to menorca this year so far after seeing my pics etc from last year ! and nobody was disappointed ! some even booked immediately after their return for next year !! actually it´s all your "fault" :twisted:

^^ it'll be harder to get a room there in High Season than in Playa d'en Bossa at this rate !

Me and the Missus are gonna give Ibiza and Formentera a break next year and were leaning towards a trip to Menorca. Really good reading of some of your experiences out there and some of the pics look amazing. A bit of advice where to go and stay and places to see would be great. We love the formentera style of rustic and unspoilt beaches and we always hire a car to get about and a good adventure so you know where were coming from. Cheers Chaps

@kimajy
@icebaer69

Me and the Missus are gonna give Ibiza and Formentera a break next year and were leaning towards a trip to Menorca. Really good reading of some of your experiences out there and some of the pics look amazing. A bit of advice where to go and stay and places to see would be great. We love the formentera style of rustic and unspoilt beaches and we always hire a car to get about and a good adventure so you know where were coming from. Cheers Chaps

@kimajy
@icebaer69

You won't regret going, for sure. Are you likely to go in peak Season or before/after ? Beach-wise it's very much a North-South split there depending on which direction the wind is coming from (it's relatively windy compared to Ibiza/Formentera so often makes much more of a difference). The really beautiful Southern beaches (which are far better than Ibiza and some more beautiful than Formentera) west of Cala Galdana are all accessed via spur-roads off a by-pass like hub around Ciutadella. It means you can't drive from one to the other without returning all the way to Ciutadella and then taking the next road off the 'spur'. Very strange, but it keeps the coastline much less impacted by development. Ciutadella is at the far-West of the island, whereas the airport and Mahon are in the East. Kind of like going to Portinatx from Ibiza Town before then accessing the South-West beaches - in other words, you really clock up the miles (and car-time) if you want to explore everywhere with a car.

I recommend you buy this book, which I picked up at Mahon airport one trip .. make sure you get it in English as it's published in a number of languages, but it's a very good overview and more comprehensive than most which are targeted at less adventurous travellers. Has a good overview map in the back too but not very large-scale (I bought a bigger one too). Once you get to grips with this book over the Winter you'll be wishing the Spring/Summer would hurry up and arrive so you can get on a plane as soon as you can and start exploring !!!!!

http://www.casadellibro.com/libro-t...ca-in-10-days-20-stages/9788484785057/2005952

This will give you some insights into the different faces of the island and just how diverse it is. You could spend days and days exploring and barely touch the surface - a bit like Ibiza really and it's not dissimilar in size. The Northern beaches like Pilar are all park and hike (a LONG way). Many of the Southern beaches are much closer to parking, but also more popular. A lot of nudity in the North, not so much in the South. Also bear in mind this is very much a "family island" so if you want more adult/isolated beaches they are more prevalent in the North way away from the access roads - but they are wilder and not "turquoise-blue-gleaming-sand" like in the South West.

Badia de Fornells is a must - definitely on a Kayak if you can, it's worth the effort. Menorca is kayak heaven - wind-permitting of course, unless you've been doing some serious workouts before heading out !! But it really is the best way to see much of the coast and so peaceful. You can also hire a bike/electric bike but the island is hilly so this isn't something to necessarily rely on if you're not confident with hill-climbing. Of course the Cami de Cavalls is an amazing construction - the path goes right around the island mainly on the coast, for hiking. Off this loads of other paths take you down to beaches and to other viewpoints etc.

Staying for a short trip it's probably best to focus on one area of the island on a first trip but if you go for 7-10 days you have time to see lots of it. Cova d'en Xoroi is in Cala en Porter which is quite near the airport off the road out to the West. It's not an island you can get round quickly/easily at night compared to Ibiza as a lot of the main road West-East across the centre of the island isn't dual-carriageway and has lots of radar. If you want to tap into any nightlife (such as it is) probably best to stay relatively nearby and not on the other side of the island. On an 8-day trip I'd actually split it between West & East hotel/apartment-wise.

Menorca is very proud of its nature conservation status and many areas feel very respected, something you really struggle with in Ibiza and Formentera now. Even finding a Quad-bike is a struggle as they are widely frowned on. Coming from Ibiza it's a bit like going to see your folks after a debauchery session ! But I don't mind as it means almost everyone you meet outside all-inclusive package hotel swimming pool environs has an appreciation of the natural side of life and an element of respect for it. Which is nice.

I'm sure Icey can chip in with some "must do's" from his explorations ... I'm more for encouraging people to read up and go seek out what attracts them, hopefully to find their own favourite new spots and come share them here :cool: So much to see !

You won't regret going, for sure. Are you likely to go in peak Season or before/after ? Beach-wise it's very much a North-South split there depending on which direction the wind is coming from (it's relatively windy compared to Ibiza/Formentera so often makes much more of a difference). The really beautiful Southern beaches (which are far better than Ibiza and some more beautiful than Formentera) west of Cala Galdana are all accessed via spur-roads off a by-pass like hub around Ciutadella. It means you can't drive from one to the other without returning all the way to Ciutadella and then taking the next road off the 'spur'. Very strange, but it keeps the coastline much less impacted by development. Ciutadella is at the far-West of the island, whereas the airport and Mahon are in the East. Kind of like going to Portinatx from Ibiza Town before then accessing the South-West beaches - in other words, you really clock up the miles (and car-time) if you want to explore everywhere with a car.

I recommend you buy this book, which I picked up at Mahon airport one trip .. make sure you get it in English as it's published in a number of languages, but it's a very good overview and more comprehensive than most which are targeted at less adventurous travellers. Has a good overview map in the back too but not very large-scale (I bought a bigger one too). Once you get to grips with this book over the Winter you'll be wishing the Spring/Summer would hurry up and arrive so you can get on a plane as soon as you can and start exploring !!!!!

http://www.casadellibro.com/libro-t...ca-in-10-days-20-stages/9788484785057/2005952

This will give you some insights into the different faces of the island and just how diverse it is. You could spend days and days exploring and barely touch the surface - a bit like Ibiza really and it's not dissimilar in size. The Northern beaches like Pilar are all park and hike (a LONG way). Many of the Southern beaches are much closer to parking, but also more popular. A lot of nudity in the North, not so much in the South. Also bear in mind this is very much a "family island" so if you want more adult/isolated beaches they are more prevalent in the North way away from the access roads - but they are wilder and not "turquoise-blue-gleaming-sand" like in the South West.

Badia de Fornells is a must - definitely on a Kayak if you can, it's worth the effort. Menorca is kayak heaven - wind-permitting of course, unless you've been doing some serious workouts before heading out !! But it really is the best way to see much of the coast and so peaceful. You can also hire a bike/electric bike but the island is hilly so this isn't something to necessarily rely on if you're not confident with hill-climbing. Of course the Cami de Cavalls is an amazing construction - the path goes right around the island mainly on the coast, for hiking. Off this loads of other paths take you down to beaches and to other viewpoints etc.

Staying for a short trip it's probably best to focus on one area of the island on a first trip but if you go for 7-10 days you have time to see lots of it. Cova d'en Xoroi is in Cala en Porter which is quite near the airport off the road out to the West. It's not an island you can get round quickly/easily at night compared to Ibiza as a lot of the main road West-East across the centre of the island isn't dual-carriageway and has lots of radar. If you want to tap into any nightlife (such as it is) probably best to stay relatively nearby and not on the other side of the island. On an 8-day trip I'd actually split it between West & East hotel/apartment-wise.

Menorca is very proud of its nature conservation status and many areas feel very respected, something you really struggle with in Ibiza and Formentera now. Even finding a Quad-bike is a struggle as they are widely frowned on. Coming from Ibiza it's a bit like going to see your folks after a debauchery session ! But I don't mind as it means almost everyone you meet outside all-inclusive package hotel swimming pool environs has an appreciation of the natural side of life and an element of respect for it. Which is nice.

I'm sure Icey can chip in with some "must do's" from his explorations ... I'm more for encouraging people to read up and go seek out what attracts them, hopefully to find their own favourite new spots and come share them here :cool: So much to see !

Thanks Kimajy, some good info there. Will definitely purchase the book and start planning ahead. More than likely the trip will be a 7 day minimum, so far we have Cala Galdana down as a base and go from there but i guess with a bit more research that may change. Will keep you posted on our plans and direction. Thanks again buddy..;)

Menorca, Spain
from London Heathrow
From 29 April 2016, British Airways will fly four times a week to Menorca, Spain from London Heathrow Terminal 5.

:eek:

Yachts and magnates appropriate Cabrera
After a sheik he would make his is Carbo, and occupy two megayachts protected beaches of Menorca, yesterday fell the small island, 'invaded' for three luxury boats

The public beach palm turned into private luxury. Even fencing. And recurrently, too. In the summer of saturation to record the natural landscapes of the islands they have been invaded by tourists, almost dispossessed of their public nature. Privatized. Most of the time the conquest falls by the weight of the hordes, the fashion style in this Mallorca that the Govern says "sustainable" but increasingly looks more unsustainable pile of bodies of Benidorm. At other times, it gets more exclusive. Instead of the avalanche of weekenders and vacationers, the beach to surgeries, almost military beach shots from luxury boats, whose owners no longer are cut when endorse what everyone surrenders.

It happened for example three weeks ago on the beach is Carbó, who lived an almost amphibious landing: from the megayacht a sheik petrodollar deployed several boats, with which service employees and security Millionaire acotaron a long stretch of beach to transform one of the most natural and least crowded beaches of Colonia de Sant Jordi in a sort of amphibious park attractions, amusement with inflatable floating large and chairs the style postureo in Monte Carlo. But without Montecarlo. And with private security shielding the tycoon and his people of the closeness of the people, annoying, perhaps stain, you go figure, so better away.

Yesterday the scene was repeated. It was more modest and without bodyguards scale deployment, but in a more protected site, a place where you have to ask time days in advance to anchor the island and Cabrera Natural Park. Have up image, which yesterday rebounded from account to account for Twitter, viralised by ecologist and protectionist @terraferida profile and originally distributed by @jaumesalva twittero. The message was clear: "Cabrera. National Parc Beach Club to celebrate els seus Així 25 anys jewell in the crown", explained in @terraferida, enclosing the photo unthinkable in a natural paradise, become private party with deployment seven large umbrellas design and their padded hammocks. As in Bali, but with law. While not comply: the rules of the Coastal Act, Articles 65 and 66, makes it clear that the beach can not be used privately, much less be parceled out for the exclusive use and enjoyment of anyone, either Arab sheik or Monegasque prince. The only option to do is apply for a permit for events that are of general interest. But yesterday, as the day the sheikh, the only perceived general interest in social networks indignation was shared, it was not for many of the commentator rather than another drop spilling a glass of runaway tourism.

Landings on all islands
Because they are already a few drops this summer and tourist excesses dunnage air, land and sea, which have been documented similar episodes in cala Tuent or on the beach of Coll Baix. Also in Menorca, where there have been complaints about a dozen such landings. The last two were last week, when bathers from the beaches of Cavalleria and Trabalúger in is Migjorn, denounced the invasion of sand from megayachts. And do not think of a sheik with a harem, no: in this case the conquest of the wild beaches was organized by a large boat charter, luxury for 40 privileged, served by a crew of 35 waiters and assistants, who landed the first beaches inaccessible from land, over the dunes to install the usual trappings of tacky natural paradise, this accumulation of inflatable plastic umbrellas design and Balinese beds crossdresses pristine coast of Magaluf beach club style. Although unlicensed, which again Costas law is fulminating about it. Not only the beach is not private, but everything in it is deployed "will be open to public access" privilege nuncaun checkbook.

The stage of Russian tycoon
But on the islands of excess heel kicks. And much. Ibiza on the coast was clear this weekend, when dozens of people attended the public recapture of a privatized coastal landscape by a Russian millionaire. With the authorization of Costas, the tycoon has been installed in an area of difficult access Platges de Comte a wooden platform from which to jump into the sea from its mission. Issue? The wood is in public space, so whoever can use the platform to sunbathe or swim, something that did not prevent the Russian put their security agents to intimidate and dislodge bathers. Some came to report to the Civil Guard and the thing was heated to the point that on Saturday dozens of people were for public invasion of privatized public from Russia and unloved. And they reconquered, of course: the residents of the islands cram them so much patience is as pristine beaches, or none.

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuses-balears/2016/08/29/yates-magnates-apropian-cabrera/863075.html

tourist season
The Pitiusas beat his record with 582,181 tourists in July
Ibiza and Formentera accumulate in seven months 1.6 million visitors,
an increase of 10.9%

It's official. The data confirm that the perception of tourist saturation is more than residents founded: there were never so many travelers on the island during high season. In July came to Ibiza and Formentera 582,181 tourists, representing an increase of 8.6% over the same month of 2015. And in the first seven months of the year, the figure rises to 1,647,370, another new record with a rise of 10.98%.

Of the total visitors last July, most were foreigners, 473,587, and national, 108594 rest. The UK market continues to accumulate the highest number, with 160,028 travelers. Followed by the Italians (77,742), Germany (54,381) and French (29,796).

Of the total recorded from January to July, 1.2 million tourists have visited Ibiza and Formentera came from abroad, and only 369,243 of a national destiny.

Mallorca, meanwhile, received 1,837,125 travelers, following an increase of 9.5% over the previous record. That is, there were 151,000 tourists on the island more than in 2015. In a single month. And if the focus is opened cram figures are repeated, so when you look to the rest of the Balearics, as when the rest of 2016 is observed.

But nothing compared to the explosion of the island traveling far quieter, Menorca, where the number of visitors soared 23.5% in July. In total, the archipelago has a new maximum of tourists in a month: 2,755,321, of which 2,359,277 were foreigners and 396,043, Spanish.

That is one of the most important features of the data released yesterday by the Institut d'Estadística Balearic Islands: domestic tourism picks up speed cruise during this peak season, a 6.6% advance in Mallorca and 8.6% in the whole of the Balearics.

The increase is below average, but higher for example than in July in Mallorca two main customers: travelers both Germany and the UK increased their presence on the island less than 5%

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/pitiuse...iusas-baten-record-turistas-julio/863403.html

Yes, I went to Menorca again at the end of July on a last-minute trip. I could only find 2 available rooms in the whole of the South West it was crazy. On the Sunday I was told that they had started closing the roads to all beaches in the North (Pilar) and South West coast (Turqueta / Macarella etc.) before 10am and no more cars allowed to park anywhere near the beaches after that (wtf ?). Thankfully, I knew another road to Pilar and managed to find somewhere without a patrol turning back cars to park up - and it was still a brisk 45-minute walk to Cala Pilar from there.

On the Monday sanity prevailed and I chartered a boat for myself from Ciutadella instead. But adding 420 Euros a day plus fuel to your holiday budget to get to the prettiest beaches and coves makes for a pretty expensive trip. But totally worth it if you're willing to part with it :twisted:

It's never all plain sailing though. I am actually thinking of writing another review ... this time called One man and a boat - Menorcan Adventures with a dodgy anchor in late July' :lol: !

Thanks Kimajy, some good info there. Will definitely purchase the book and start planning ahead. More than likely the trip will be a 7 day minimum, so far we have Cala Galdana down as a base and go from there but i guess with a bit more research that may change. Will keep you posted on our plans and direction. Thanks again buddy..;)

Well, did you make it out there, Moondust ?

Last edited:
Back