A last-minute trip 12-15 June 2018

Still got a full day to go .... lol.

The final day

Woke to another wonderful morning - if a little windier than usual. A microlight was flying over the bay and couldn't help thinking that would have been a great way to kick off a morning !

P6145782 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

I'd been forced to take half board to get my room and so far hadn't managed a single meal. Made an effort and braved the breakfast room before finally heading out. Lots available and it was the usual resort hotel spread. Managed coffee, pancakes, yoghurt and some patisserie - decent set up for the day for a change !!

Final checkout and stare at the map wondering where to pick for a last morning. Decided to go to Cala Corral, a tiny beach West of Cala Tarida. With any luck I'd get a proper peaceful swim/sunbathe before returning to UK and the car, now full of all my valuables and cash etc. could be left in a proper car park in Cala Tarida if I got my arse in gear to get a space.

I arrived about 10.30am and there was one space left. Needed more water / drinks and the nearest bar was closed due to the water having been cut off so I ended up grabbing them from the Spar up the road. Cheap as chips in there.

I took the long way round to the beach (in ignorance) via the fishermans' huts. Short-cuts are something you learn by observation and trial / error !! It turned out a very long waist deep wade the way I picked - would have to investigate alternatives for the return :lol:. Still it was fun to do that once.

I put together a little video of the trip down there and some of the memorable moments to remind myself - sharing below. The little dog stole the show for me, she was absolutely hilarious - totally self-contained and having a ball. There was a strong swell round the rocks and the fish were all riding it out - some huge ones round the point there. I had the place to myself for quite a while but was joined by a girl and her dog for a time and we happily shared the beach each with our own private space.

As I was ready to leave after a lunch of snacking chorizo and a sandwich from the garage a group of Spanish kids arrived with a beach umbrella and coolbox, and the atmosphere changed dramatically. It's a very small beach and the dynamic there is pretty sensitive to who's there and the mood they're in. Still, I'd had mine and it was time for them to have theirs.

My canine colleague and her owner had clambered up the cliff and I took careful note of my (much easier) exit from the place ... I'll know for next time the best way down !!

It was a lovely morning. Couldn't have asked for better really.

Last edited:
I'd time for one last stop before @McRackin was done with work and we could fit in a drink. Seemed like an age since we last met up !

I decided to head down to s'Estanyol to get a fix on how things were down there this year. The restaurant had definitely established a dominant presence and there was no longer any mystery about following painted rocks to the cove. It was a full-on commercial affair with an overcrowded car park to go with it. Shame really. I wound up parking in the forbidden zone just up the hill on the Camino - not a single space to be had by this time of day.

P6145822 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145824 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145826 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

I did pop into the restaurant to check out the light lunch / snack menu and the prices in there are really obscene. I've had some of the dishes on that menu before, something my gut didn't thank me for next morning, and looking at the whole thing in the "cold light of day" it's an absolute rip-off.

I wasn't really hungry anyway, faced the sea and turned right instead. Away from the beach things were altogether more pleasant to be honest !

P6145825 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145827 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145828 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

Last edited:
The wind picked up and I decided against another swim - I'd had plenty of sun and sea and it was time to switch gear a bit. I wanted a shower and headed to PDB intending to use the one outside Sirrocco which I knew well enough. Was just done cursing trying to get parked after finally finding a space in the workers' parking beyond Hi and messaged @McRackin to tell him what I was up to. It was then @stivi and I checked in with each other about plans for later and he very kindly offered me a proper shower at home instead.

Didn't take any persuading and I hot-footed it over to his instead. Quick dip in the pool on arrival and a cold drink and things were feeling considerably more civilized ! We messaged @McRackin and suggested he join us there instead of going out - and was really great to meet up and chat again. Must make more time next visit if you can make it !!!

@stivi and I were on a mission to make Lee Burridge's set at Blue Marlin for the opening of his monthly "All Day I Dream of the White Jewel" party. Yes, I finally got blasted to a party :lol::lol::lol:. After a quick detour via the service station to fill up my hire car on the way ready to return it later, we hit the wonderful road out towards Cala Jondal from the airport roundabout - which we both felt was one of nicest stretches of road on the island.

Things looked pretty busy at Blue Marlin and once the parking guy "helping" was persuaded to GTFO out of the way so I could park properly we were all set for the evening.

They'd done a decent job of decking out BM and the place was chock full of "beautiful people" (then and now) - just as you'd expect. We hooked up pretty much straight away with @jimmiz who was there with his wife and colourful friends - all of us slightly away from our usual stomping grounds but nonetheless enjoying the music and making our own atmosphere. We all knew what to expect of the venue so we were prepared and there to get the best out of it.

P6145831 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145833 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

P6145830 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

It was lovely to finally meet you (and your crew) @jimmiz and would be great to meet up again sometime if our paths cross out there, maybe next time when we're all in territory we more usually inhabit !

@stivi 's wife Miriam arrived with a friend who'd just arrived on the island and the crew was complete.

I managed a couple of short vids but try not to use too much camera on the dancefloor - seeing as I hate others doing it and it's a bit hypocritical of me ! These two little clips do pretty much capture the atmosphere and have to say I really enjoyed Lee Burridge's set. It was pure class.

Thanks for prodding me to come @stivi - you always know best about these things and it was a perfect way to end a trip. It's always a real pleasure to see you and thanks again for the hospitality, at home and at BM - greatly appreciated !!

Shortly after YokoO took over the decks I got a voicemail prompt from home and went to the beach to play it back so I could hear.

P6145838 by 103 Alex1, on Flickr

I needed to call about an urgent matter and realized I'd need to phone from the car where I could get somewhere quiet. And so my time at Blue Marlin ended rather abruptly. By the time I hung up it was gone 11pm and the others had just left. I realized the sensible thing to do was drive to the airport and pack up my boot with no panic, as my flight was at 01:55 and I still had all my stuff to sort out for the flight home.

There was plenty of space to spread out and pack up next to the hire car in the empty returns area of the multistorey car park. It was that time again and it's never a pleasant thing to leave Ibiza after a great time on the island. Despite a lack of check-in queue at the British Airways desk, in the end I only had half an hour to kill before boarding. Just enough time for a sandwich and a drink. It was a very relaxed departure for me, having had many a frantic last-minute pack-up session in various parking locations all round the island over the years and mad dashes through security :lol:.

We took off early with no drama and I slept all the way back. The last flight in of the night, and landing early, bags were already on the carousel by the time we breezed through passport control. The Terminal change to retrieve my car and 2 1/2 hour drive home wasn't the easiest but I was rested and very relaxed, still dreaming of the White Jewel as dawn broke on the M6. I out-ran the rush hour and was home by 7.30am.

Ibiza's still got it all. The places, the people and the magic. Really can't wait to get back. :cool:

Last edited:
Instead of feeling burnt out when I got home I felt like I'd had a proper break and was a different person to the one who left Bristol that Monday morning!

Roll on September :D 12 weeks tomorrow and I'm back on the magical island!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool: You know you've finally cracked it when you get home feeling like that ;) :D.

yes, epic stuff!

in response to this bit:

I reflected on afterwards as the special magic which seems to happen so often in Ibiza. Does the island just draw the like-minded together or does it catalyze a loss of inhibition and "guard" so people show who they really are without regard to convention, background or any other barriers ?

I'd say it's a bit of both - most of the IBZ people I've met via the internet have been pretty cool because there's already a lot of goodwill and a recognition that there is something immensely fun and eccentric about all of this. (tho always interesting explaining to real-life folk that you're meeting people off the internet...:lol: )

I'm not sure if there is a uniquely IBZ thing but I'm sure the environment does help. I became pals with some ultra-cynical Londoners in 2010 at the Ashram, people who would probably ordinarily have had nothing to do with me. maybe the setting, the chemicals (?), the music, the sunset were all a factor in loosening people up or maybe people just naturally let go outside the comfort zone? I dunno. In my case some of the same ingredients exist on the mainland but because I work there, you're more constrained by the normal life rules. It isn't quite the same even though BCN and IBZ share much in common.

I think IBZ perhaps brings out your inner-hippy in ways other places do not, which is why I think it is crucial that the dark evil forces, the cathy guettas, wayne linekers etc must be resisted if something special is to be preserved

yes, epic stuff!

in response to this bit:

I reflected on afterwards as the special magic which seems to happen so often in Ibiza. Does the island just draw the like-minded together or does it catalyze a loss of inhibition and "guard" so people show who they really are without regard to convention, background or any other barriers ?

I'd say it's a bit of both - most of the IBZ people I've met via the internet have been pretty cool because there's already a lot of goodwill and a recognition that there is something immensely fun and eccentric about all of this. (tho always interesting explaining to real-life folk that you're meeting people off the internet...:lol: )

I'm not sure if there is a uniquely IBZ thing but I'm sure the environment does help. I became pals with some ultra-cynical Londoners in 2010 at the Ashram, people who would probably ordinarily have had nothing to do with me. maybe the setting, the chemicals (?), the music, the sunset were all a factor in loosening people up or maybe people just naturally let go outside the comfort zone? I dunno. In my case some of the same ingredients exist on the mainland but because I work there, you're more constrained by the normal life rules. It isn't quite the same even though BCN and IBZ share much in common.

I think IBZ perhaps brings out your inner-hippy in ways other places do not

Well put - and I think pretty much bang on.

Good to know your long and detailed reviews are back, I missed them... and nice to see you once again! :):)

I forgot how long they take to do with the media handling also :eek::lol: ... but you know - my memory isn't as sharp as it was a few years ago, age is a terrible thing in some ways. If I don't write it down these days it can get lost forever all too soon !! Big up Spotlight for hosting this stuff :cool:.

Last edited:
Nah, big up to members like you who share their ibiza experiences... reading people's reviews has always been my favourite part of the forum!
Same for me... It's a shame I cannot do the same due to my too basic and full of faults english.

Back