9/11

weloveliam@space

:cry:I can't belive its been 7 years since the 9/11 attacks. The first plane hit at 12.46 GMT, I'll never forget that day or what i was doing at the time :cry:

firemen-flag-9-11-2001-b.jpg

Almost 3,000 people lost their lives that day :cry: And many more since :cry:

Did anyone see the hotel 9/11 programme last night on ch4 ?? Very interesting, and moving.

R.I.P to those who perished :cry:

I know what you mean, 7 years has just gone so quickly.

How could anyone forget that day.

Never saw the programme but when is that other one on about the faker who wasn't even there at the time?

We lost 12 staff who were in various client meetings in the 2 towers - that was just awful waiting on news.

We had so many Execs out there and in the air at the time and it was just desperate waiting for news and confirming peoples whereabouts. People I had never even met through work but knew their names and you just hoped and hoped that they were safe for their families.....

Even though I've watched the footage of 9/11 a million times now, it never fails to shock and horrify me every time I see it. Such a tragic day :(

I watched Hotel 9/11 last night, it was really good and made me get quite emotional, I agree that even now every time I see footage of 9/11 it has the same effect on me, I was particularly upset last night at the brief shot of one of the people who jumped from the buildings, I've seen it tens of times before but it will always be difficult to watch. Those that were in that little bit of the Mariott Hotel must be amazed they survived. I have to say when I saw it happening 7 years ago I didn't really feel like I was watching live TV and didn't really understand it all at first, it was more like watching a hollywood action film, also I'd not been to New York at that point so didn't really know much about the twin towers.

For me the day is inextricably linked to my homeland, Moscow, Ibiza, family...

I had moved to Moscow 2 weeks before, but immediately took off on my first trip to Ibiza. I came back to Moscow, just started to settle in and then this happened a couple days later.

I saw the first report on Russian television but had to run out to pick up my local registration document. I remember standing just outside the gates of Red Sq trying to get my brother in NYC on the phone. How ironic... at the gates of what we once called the "Evil Empire", but it wasn't these guys that attacked us but some new shared enemy.

Didn't have cable TV installed yet so no English channels. No Internet at home either. Decided to head to an Internet cafe in the shopping mall next to the Kremlin and spent hours reading the blow-by-blow. Then I joined a friend of mine who was in town on business (together with a Bush administration official) at a local hotel to watch CNN.

With my brother in NYC and my parents in the Washington, DC area, it was a quite a shock.

But what angers me almost as much as the attack is how it was subsequently used to justify the abuses of power of the Bush administration, domestically and internationally.

And on a more personal level, it was so hard visiting the States for the few years. People were so different. Everything was Before 9/11 and After 9/11. People insisting on blind patriotism and waving flags without even trying to understand the geopolitical forces at work.

If there's an upside, it's that many more Americans take notice of what's going on outside our borders now. At least, they know where Afghanistan is, they've heard the name Kyrgyzstan on the news, they might even know that Georgia is a foreign country in addition to being a state.

As an aside, I can't believe I've been living in Moscow for 7 years already!

Even though I've watched the footage of 9/11 a million times now, it never fails to shock and horrify me every time I see it. Such a tragic day :(

same here, the size/magnitude of what happened is unimaginable as is the lives lost! Credit to NYC for bouncing back

as the beastie boys said

" dear new york a lot has changed, 2 towers down but yer still in the game"

good words methinks!

p.s that faker programme is tonight c4, 9pm

I have to say when I saw it happening 7 years ago I didn't really feel like I was watching live TV and didn't really understand it all at first, it was more like watching a hollywood action film
It was like something straight out of a Hollywood movie. We think of every possible horror to visit upon ourselves with the help of special effects, but hard to grasp it when it's real.

I don't think the gravity of it hit me fully until 15 months later when I was home for the holidays and drove by the Pentagon in DC and that empty space at Ground Zero in NYC. Especially with the latter. The towers just weren't there anymore.

It was like something straight out of a Hollywood movie. We think of every possible horror to visit upon ourselves with the help of special effects, but hard to grasp it when it's real.

I don't think the gravity of it hit me fully until 15 months later when I was home for the holidays and drove by the Pentagon in DC and that empty space at Ground Zero in NYC. Especially with the latter. The towers just weren't there anymore.

Agreed. The whole place was so eerie and when I was there I couldn't grasp tourists wanting their photo taken by it and all smiling.

I was (literally) speechless when i visited ground zero in 2005, so so moving. And to be there in the flesh made the hairs on my arms stand on end. I'm very much looking forward to visiting it again in november, esp the new memorial centre.

Like Becky said, it is still shocking when you see footage of it now 7 years later, it still seems so unreal.

I remember watching it all night over and over, and saying to the missus, this is going to change the world as we know it. Horrible horrible day :cry:

I remember it too, how can you not, such a sad day :cry:

I remember being at home from college and thinking hang on what is all this about then you saw the same footage on every channel and it went on all day/night. I remember running down to my mum and saying have you seen this.

Unbelievable. :cry:

I didnt see the programme last night but my friend said it was very emotional.

The faker one is on tonight on Channel 4.

Yes, it was so terribly terribly sad. Agreed. :cry:

...and isn't it also terrible that innocent people are still losing their lives through the resulting war on terror? Grrr.

I don't feel like many of the world leaders have learned that much which is the saddest part of all.

Yes, it was so terribly terribly sad. Agreed. :cry:

...and isn't it also terrible that innocent people are still losing their lives through the resulting war on terror? Grrr.

I don't feel like many of the world leaders have learned that much which is the saddest part of all.

the leaders of the free world are just little boys throwing stones

Back