9/11

Too sad. I welled up at the WTC Tribute centre a few weeks ago.

Just watched the program about the woman who pretended to be in one of the Towers. Shocking but she's was obviously ill.

But what angers me almost as much as the attack is how it was subsequently used to justify the abuses of power of the Bush administration, domestically and internationally.

And on a more personal level, it was so hard visiting the States for the few years. People were so different. Everything was Before 9/11 and After 9/11. People insisting on blind patriotism and waving flags without even trying to understand the geopolitical forces at work.

But amid all the decorating and gift-giving, Vice President Cheney is careful not to let all the 9/11 festivities distract him from the deeper significance the day holds.
"Sometimes, in all the hustle and bustle of the season, it's easy to forget the true meaning of Sept. 11," Cheney said. "Sept. 11 is not about fancy 9/11 parades, or big 9/11 office parties. In fact, it's not even just about two buildings crumbling to the ground and leaving thousands of innocent people dead."
"No," Cheney continued. "No, 9/11 is about the warm feeling you get when you help an elderly woman cross the street and then whisper to her that the terrorists can strike at any moment. 9/11 is about the satisfaction of telling people to do things and then them doing it—not because they want to, but because they are afraid to do otherwise. 9/11 is about removing Saddam Hussein from power. But most of all, 9/11 is about love."

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cheney_waits_until_last_minute

Apols if satire doesn't sit well with tragedy but it's a bloody great medium for an important message

The source of that quote, The Onion, did a really good series on Sept 11 under the headline "Holy F**king Sh*t! Attack on America". It's a tightrope of taste doing satire on a subject like this, but they did it better than anyone.

I very nearly said it's time people let it go a bit until I heard about some guy who jumped, I don't know his name and hopefully never will, although it made me think..... Basically he jumped from his office, with his briefcase in his hand, hoping for some reason he would be okay.

What ever the cost,

Where ever the fight,

Who ever the terorrist are...

(We don't care if they are even French...)

The "war on terror" is not Bush's war. It's the worlds war.

Sure, we have acutally become Team America, World Police.

It ain't a glamerous job but someones got to do it.

Hate us when you disagree but when someone messes with your country (provided your not communist or have no oil), we'll be there.

So dont hate us too much.

History usually does repeat itself.

Zee Germans again?

No, the Italians again!

At least we'll have 20 years of good times in france before they become pompous again.

:rolleyes::confused:
What ever the cost,

Where ever the fight,

Who ever the terorrist are...

(We don't care if they are even French...)

The "war on terror" is not Bush's war. It's the worlds war.

Sure, we have acutally become Team America, World Police.

It ain't a glamerous job but someones got to do it.

Hate us when you disagree but when someone messes with your country (provided your not communist or have no oil), we'll be there.

So dont hate us too much.

History usually does repeat itself.

Zee Germans again?

No, the Italians again!

At least we'll have 20 years of good times in france before they become pompous again.

I was in Kavos at the time on a 'lads holiday'.... (shudder) ....

We were walking along the main strip in the afternoon and there was a huge group of people gathering outside one of the pubs that had big screens. We thought they must be watching the footy or something but when we got near every single person was just staring at the screens in complete silence. That was just after the first plane hit. We watched the 2nd one hit and it was the wierdest feeling and atmosphere I've ever felt.:cry:

I was in Ibiza when the attacks happened. Was staying at the Fiesta Palmyra Hotel in San Antonio. Had just returned to the hotels from a walk along the promenade and noticed a large group of people sitting round the large screen TV in th bar. At first I thought they were all watching some a movie then realised it was a news channel. We went up to our room and put the TV and could not beleive what we were seeing. It was a very sad day...

Back