8 Merveilles du monde ... (8world wonders)

JohnJohn

artemis.jpg

le temple d'Artemis à Ephèse
pyramides.jpg

Les pyramides d'Egypte
babylone.jpg

Les jardins suspendus de Babylone
halicarnasse.jpg

Le mausolée d'halicarnasse
alexandrie.jpg

Le phare d'Alexandrie
colosse1.jpg

Le colosse de Rhodes
zeus2.jpg

La statue de Zeus à Olympie
138938_OYOHC6SZ8ACG557HB2M28IT2KO2C5Z_dc10closing2005_H031755_L.jpg

Circoloco at Dc 10

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of the wonders, there was recently a vote on a new list of 7 wonders since the Pyramids at Giza is all that's left from the Greek's old list. Anyone know the outcome?

I saw somewhere that the Egyptians were hopping mad about the Pyramids actually being put to a vote for inclusion. Understandable since there's little doubt about their wondrousness...

There's a big camaping in Spain to include La Alhambra in the 7 wonders. The place really deserves to be there

the internet featured on one of the new 7 wonders list i think and the alhambra had missed out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_wonders#New_Seven_Wonders
I love one of the links from this page, the 7 Blunders of the World

From that page:
The Seven Blunders of the World is a list that Mahatma Gandhi gave to his grandson Arun Gandhi during his last days. The seven blunders are:
  • Wealth without work
  • Pleasure without conscience
  • Knowledge without character
  • Commerce without morality
  • Science without humanity
  • Worship without sacrifice
  • Politics without principle

the term civilisation i think is the most improtant criterion for selecting a wonder and of course such as statue of liberty it is what it represents rather than the actual materials that makefor me it would be

The Colosseum
Taj Mahal
Great Wall
Machu Picchu
Chichen Itza
Acropolis
Statue of Liberty

not the pyramids as i believe this should be a new wonders list, the pyramids already have their place in history.

Cos its value it's only sentimental and symbolic, that's it

but to me that is what should be most important...........a representation of somethin rather than just architecture.

e.g. football stadiums, the size/capacity/architecture isn't what makes them great or not. it is more than that.

but to me that is what should be most important...........a representation of somethin rather than just architecture.

e.g. football stadiums, the size/capacity/architecture isn't what makes them great or not. it is more than that.

For me it would be a mixture or sentimental - symbol value and human effort to build up that wonder. So I wouldn't include football stadiums neither.

For me it would be a mixture or sentimental - symbol value and human effort to build up that wonder.

don't get me wrong, i agree that some buildings, such as old cathedrals, are awe inspiring just from the point of view of "how did they build it?", but i think lady liberty represents human effort/endeavour/victory over adversity, altho those were not required to build her.

So I wouldn't include football stadiums neither.

:lol: :lol: well maybe anfield;) :lol:

don't get me wrong, i agree that some buildings, such as old cathedrals, are awe inspiring just from the point of view of "how did they build it?", but i think lady liberty represents human effort/endeavour/victory over adversity, altho those were not required to build her.

:lol: :lol: well maybe anfield;) :lol:

I don't agree with Liberty.And don't make me laugh with Anfield :lol: :lol:If any stadium should be there you know it's not Anfield and you know it's quite close from whre I'm right now ;)

I wouldn't include the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty. I think what makes a wonder a wonder is the creation of something almost beyond the limits of what you'd think man would have been capable at the time. Oh, and it's got to be really really old :lol:

I wouldn't include the Eiffel Tower or the Statue of Liberty. I think what makes a wonder a wonder is the creation of something almost beyond the limits of what you'd think man would have been capable at the time. Oh, and it's got to be really really old :lol:

so what about what it represents/symbolises??

Back