50% UK Tax Rate

Er, let's think...

Well, I have to write a new risk assessment everytime I buy a box of paperclips, so the millions we spend on health and safety legislation and enforcement has been a fantastic use of tax payers money. No one has died in any of my offices this year from a paperclip related injury.

Oh and the state spend tens of millions on adverts telling me not to drink too much and to point out that smoking is not good for you and that fireworks will explode. Despite selling all three of these items to anyone at anytime, usually all at once.

Also i was fined £60 for doing 42mph in a 40 zone on an industrial estate, so portable speed cameras are a pretty good investment by the government. Except for the residential road outside of my house where five youngsters where killed in as many years by cars doing 70mph, (no speed camera there).

Lots of police around though, although i was told to investigate the break in next door myself as the police wouldn't come out unless i could see the signs of forced entry (behind a 15 foot wall).

Oh wait they did come out, but 24 hours later at 3am(!!!) to investigate the (holidaying) neighbours alarm going off. When I pointed out that i'd called them 24hrs earlier they told me they said they must have been busy.

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: A mate from London said pretty much the same things to me last weekend re health and safety laws and police intervention. And let's not forget how much tax money goes to pay for the "expenses" of EU parliamentarians and pointless time-wasting legalisation of the size of strawberries in the EU, etc etc. I know a UK vet in Brussels whose 3 kids get free travel to and from private school in the UK paid for by EU tax money...

Oh wait they did come out, but 24 hours later at 3am(!!!) to investigate the (holidaying) neighbours alarm going off. When I pointed out that i'd called them 24hrs earlier they told me they said they must have been busy.

:lol::lol:

this is like on the simpson's when chief wiggum's answer machine is full to bursting....just before he deletes them.

:lol:

and would you move into a spanking new house next door to a "socially housed" family of 15 (not including pets)? :lol:

Well if it's a 15 bedroom house, then it's got to be kensington or at least chelsea...:lol:

Really though, tenants nowadays who are housed through a RSL are scored before being housed in prime developments which minimises the chance of this happening on many of the newer developments. And people who own their homes tend to treat them better. Maggies "Right to Buy"!

:lol::lol::lol: A mate from London said pretty much the same things to me last weekend re health and safety laws and police intervention. And let's not forget how much tax money goes to pay for the "expenses" of EU parliamentarians and pointless time-wasting legalisation of the size of strawberries in the EU, etc etc. I know a UK vet in Brussels whose 3 kids get free travel to and from private school in the UK paid for by EU tax money...

Ah well, at least someone is benefitting! :lol:

Well if it's a 15 bedroom house, then it's got to be kensington or at least chelsea...:lol:

Really though, tenants nowadays who are housed through a RSL are scored before being housed in prime developments which minimises the chance of this happening on many of the newer developments. And people who own their homes tend to treat them better. Maggies "Right to Buy"!

christ my mate's new "neighbours" in a 2.5 bed house consists of...

1x mother
4x kids
2x dogs
3x cats
+1x "father", although we are speculating whether he should be there or not.

some workmen had to do some insulating work on the council properties recently and said they almost gagged due to the foul stench of all the above crammed into that house with no windows open.

Article in Economist quotes Colbert (Louis XIV's finance minister) :
"The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing".

It's all a diversionary tactic to cover up the failings of previous budgets.

The UK tax system has long been full of ridiculous loop holes that most people in the higher wage brackets have exploited for years (including the prime minister and the chancellor) :lol::lol::lol:

If they were to close off these loopholes they wouldn't have had to raise it, not that it'll make the amount of money they need and they know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Article in Economist quotes Colbert (Louis XIV's finance minister) :
"The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing".

ha! that fits nicely with one of mark twain's (i'm a fan!:D)

What's the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist only takes your skin.

ha! that fits nicely with one of mark twain's (i'm a fan!:D)

What's the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist only takes your skin.

:lol: :lol:
Fan of Twain, did you mean ? Me too - did my 3rd year uni dissertation on him - legend!

:lol: :lol:
Fan of Twain, did you mean ? Me too - did my 3rd year uni dissertation on him - legend!

well i can be a fan of you mrs hdr if you like, but yes i meant twain. not quite a dissertation, but i've also written an extended essay on him.

my favourite was at my ex-place of work, saying to the golf boys whenever they were off for a round and it looked like it might rain (common in northern england of course!)

"well, that'll spoil a good walk spoiled"

get it??

i thought i was funny, they just thought i was a twat.

1% of the population will pay additional tax on any earnings over 150k

It works out to an additional £220 a month in tax if you are on 150k a year - which is not a huge amount if you are taking home almost 8k a month is it??

If the money was put back into improving the country's infrastructure, health service and education then great

Unfortunately it seems to be used to fund a nation of sponging whingers who live on a diet of takeaways and jeremy kyle.

:spank:

To which I can only add my sister kicked out her husband this weekend and has been handed £700 a month to subside her part time Tesco wage by the social yesterday (no questions asked), plus free health and dental care.....

Should keep her in fags n Lambrini for a month or so......

I give up :rolleyes:

Why not encourage the construction of more affordable housing instead of trying to "redistribute" the wealth from other people who also work hard? That doesn't make much sense!
Because that has been tried (and failed). A new block of flats went up near to where I work last year, in a 'conservation' area (an area where any new buildings are supposedly to blend in with existing buildings so as not to create an eyesore). The main stipulation of planning permission being granted was that at least part of it be given over to be 'affordable housing' so they re-did the plans ripping out the ground floor/basement parking area and created 4 tiny one-bedroomed flats. Their starting price? 125,000 pounds! I earn between 25k and 30k a year and couldn't afford one. It will never happen whilst greedy building companies, estate agents, solicitors and government taxation can get away with it.

well i can be a fan of you mrs hdr if you like, but yes i meant twain. not quite a dissertation, but i've also written an extended essay on him.

my favourite was at my ex-place of work, saying to the golf boys whenever they were off for a round and it looked like it might rain (common in northern england of course!)

"well, that'll spoil a good walk spoiled"

get it??

i thought i was funny, they just thought i was a twat.

Funny, I think :lol: S'okay being a twat isn't it, especially coming from a golfer ?!

Back