03/08/08 - 18/08/09 15 Stressful, but amazing days in Ibiza.

Conkermon

No longer active
Although my aim was to keep this brief, it didn't really happen. Sorry! I guess I'm just very long-winded (I study history, which may account for that).

Monday; We arrived in Ibiza at 10am or something, having found it impossible to get any sleep (excitement, having to get to the airport etc) I thought it was going to be a very long day. After dropping off our bags at Jet we went to grab some food and chill on the beach. Shortly after the first person selling tickets amongst other things approached us, as the day progressed we were approached by many more such promoters from the same establishment and although ticket prices were ok we were amazed by how massively inflated generally prices were on last year. I knew Cocoon would be an amazing first night and hearing the promoters unanimously proclaim the same was enough to persuade my friends to go. This was the night where doors opened at 18:00 hrs or whatever it was, and I was keen to get there early just for the experience but in the event we made it there at 1 or 2.

It was a massive night, when we arrived the main room was quite dead and I headed off to the terrace where it was completely going off, I'm not sure if it was Josh Wink or Hawtin on the decks while I was there but whoever it was totally smashed it. I tried to get my friends to come in but they were happy in the main room (no idea why). Unfortunately the lack of sleep and whatever else meant I overdid it and the rest of the night is a bit of a blur, a little too intense and it was soo insanely busy that getting around was really frustrating. Still an amazing night though.

Tuesday we just chilled. The idea was that with 2 weeks on the Island we would space out our big nights.

Wednesday: We didn't really know what to do. Some friends wanted to go Channel Zoo but I'd heard numbers had been down and for 35 Euros preferred to go Zoo Project on Saturday instead. Plus by the time everyone was actually up and ready to go it was already late. Most of the group went to Zoo regardless and myself a friend and his girlfriend chilled around Playa D'en Bossa. This is when I lost my phone (never happened before), I think left on the bar at Tantra while we sorted out what the plan was for the night :(. After consulting some people who'd been out there for a while we decided Meganite could be interesting. We'd heard numbers had been down but found cheap tickets and thought why not. One of those who had gone Zoo was set on hitting Subliminal at Pacha (Eric Morillo, Frankie Knuckles) but I had no desire to go to Pacha during the trip and the music wasn't especially appealing. Once on the beach we found someone with free entry wristbands to Meganite before 2 and that settled the matter.

We probably got to Privilege around 1, the dancefloor was very empty as you'd expect but there were quite a lot of people around the bars and chilling and quite soon a large crowd had formed infront of the dj booth. Having heard about the poor numbers I was a bit apprehensive but perhaps because of the free entry there was probably ultimately the ideal amount of people. Easy to move around but still a good atmosphere. None of us were particularly into Mauro Picotto, although I wanted to see Rino Cerrone in room two even though he's pretty unknown I'd heard some amazing mixes by him. Since I couldn't work out where room 2 was or when it was gonna open in the event I spent the whole night in the main room. After a while a couple of guys with cameras appeared and I got a card and found it was being filmed for dancetrippin.tv. I actually really like that site so it was really cool knowing a night we were at will eventually be on there, we also got filmed for quite some time so we'll see if that makes the cut. Everyone had an unexpectedly massive night and it was a great decision to go Privilege.

Thursday: Again there were arguments about where to go. 3 of the group ran into MC Harvey from So Solid Crew in a grimey English cafe and he offered to put them on the VIP for Twice As Nice at Eden. This sounded like my idea of hell, and fortunately it was only those 3 on the VIP or others might actually have been tempted to go. One of the group wanted to go Monza and although the music would've been good I wasn't up for hitting Privilege again so soon. Eventually it was decided that 3 of us would go Be @ Space, my mate had actually contracted bronchitus (he'd been out there for a week already) and he and his girlfriend were staying in. We found Space tickets for 15 euros before one but actually got a flier for 10 from an Italian chap on the walk to Space. I was first struck by how nice Space was.. I didn't remember it being like this last year, it looked like it had had a nice refurbish there were plenty of places to chill, the decor was cool and the lighting was amazing. The crowd was also really cool. Unfortunately my two friends were feeling dead from the previous night so they spent a lot of the night chilling and bunning while I was loving Chris Liebing's set. It was a good night nonetheless, and as it transpired those that ventured to Eden had a distinctly average one :).

Friday: Another chill day after the previous 2 nights of madness.

Saturday: Zoo Project! I think we made it there at about 6pm and it was nicely busy. I think Sis were on at the pool stage and the tunes were cool. We got a few laughing gas balloons and chilled around chatting with randoms. There were some hilarous costumes and it was amusing to see this green frog properly going for it jumping up and down on the stage at the Seal Pit. Last year at Zoo I didn't think the Seal Pit was all that, and preferred the more spaceous other arenas but on this occasion it was going off in there. Sis was smashing it and the atmosphere was really good. Once again all my friends insisted on staying at the pool arena even though whoever was djing wasn't great.. Ridiculously hot chicks as well and perhaps the only night that was primarily English (not a good/bad thing, just an observation). I like how it's so easy to meet people at Zoo and how chilled it is, shame there aren't more such events in Ibiza these days.

Sunday: Another chill day as the following day we had to check out of Jet. We didn't get the keys to our villa until Tues so the plan was to move into somewhere cheap for the night.

Monday: We got kicked out and had to find somewhere to go. One within the group was determined to go San An (probably because he thought the chicas were easier there..) but it made a lot more sense to stay in PDB and eventually we found somewhere down the road (Tur Palace) that was pretty cheap. We eventually checked in, we had no aircon, there was what looked like blood+puke on 1 of the sheets but aside from that it was ok. It was certainly not somewhere I wanted to spend any more time than necessary though. For this reason when I found out no-one except me wanted to go Cocoon I was utterly bewildered. Also on this day the guy with bronchitus changed his flight and he was due to leave later that day, he couldn't hack anymore and had spent all his money on meds from the pharmacia so it was fair enough. Anyway group morale was very low, I contemplated going to Cocoon on my own but was really unsure about this. Eventually I went and purchased a ticket at Tantra (46 Euros, free bus there and back), even though I privately regretted it for a while, after a few drinks I was up for it.

I went to get the free bus sometime after 1. There was a massive crowd waiting for it comprising many rowdy Italians. The policia were there with batons out making people move off the road and onto the curb. It was pretty hectic. I positioned myself inbetween the 2 massive groups and when the bus finally arrived this turned out to have been a smart move as the door was pretty much directly in front of me. When it opened there was a mad crush to get in and the big bus driver started shouting stuff in Spanish which I didn't understand but I got the general idea. Some Italian ***** grabbed the frame of the door in an attempt to muscle himself and his friends forward thereby excluding all of us to the left of the door. His little ***** friend behind me also started repeatedly kicking me in the calf from behind as I tried to ensure this guy didn't totally exclude us all. When the guy tried to propel himself up the stairs onto the bus the driver grabbed him and pushed him back which was cool and after the slimeball made his apologies he was eventually allowed on. Anyway ultimately I made it onto the bus which left even though there was still quite a lot of space, I guess the guy couldn't be ****ed for the hassle. As we departed I looked out of the window and saw there was still a massive crowd waiting outside so I guess I was lucky. It was ridiculously hectic though.

I made it to Cocoon and headed straight for the terrace which was completely going off. Loco Dice was smashing it and it was rammed (but not as bad as the previous week). I knew I'd made a good decision to go solo and I went to get a drink before positioning myself behind the plinth where it alternates between the Cocoon dancers + the crowd all raving on it. Being on my own meant it was easy to meet people and the atmosphere was mental. Everyone was going for it I met some really cool people and danced with some gorgeous chicks. I spent the whole night at that spot and it was very eventful, definitely the best spot in the terrace. I didn't even see Sven Vath because I had no desire to leave that room. I had planned to leave quite early to get some sleep before we checked out of the grimey room and met the villa owner but I couldn't bring myself to leave. Eventually for fear of missing the bus (I had no idea when they stopped) I left at about 6.30. It was such a good night and my friends were idiots for not coming, honestly one of the best nights of my life.

The bus was waiting when I got out (so lucky, perfect timing, this night was just meant to go well :)) and I got back to the hotel where I tried and failed to get some sleep. As it transpired my ****-head friends had tried to get into my suitcase and use my laptop. I guess they worked out the code but somehow they'd managed to reset it in the process. I needed to get out my airbed and pillow (there were too many of us in Jet and too many in this grimey room) so I in my wrecked, dead state had to spend 40 minutes trying out every combination until it eventually opened. By this time I was wide awake and unable to sleep. It was going to be one of those horrible days and I couldn't wait to get to the villa.

Tuesday: A friend receives a phonecall from his girlfriend in the UK. The villa people want a £1000 security deposit before we can get the keys, the girls don't arrive until midnight so it's not such an issue for them. Just more drama. The girl's father eventually agrees to pay and after spending a couple of hours feeling like **** sitting in this quite strange German Bratwurst traditional cafe, we set off for San Antonio bay. Everyone is releived to finally have the villa after slightly slumming it at Jet (because of the bed situation and lack of space). It's great to have a pool and after a swim I eventually get some sleep. Three of the group go to Amensia for Release Yourself with Roget Sanchez and Laidback Luke. I'm too dead and happy with my massive night at Cocoon so have a chilled one.

Wednesday: The girls arrived in the night and the decks we rented were delivered yesterday. As it turns out the deck guy also wants another deposit of 400 euros that was never mentioned but he agrees to settle for half and come back later when we have the cash. We begin to realise the villa is kind of remote.. It's within walking distance of the shops and stuff but it's still a bit of a trekk up hill back and as we're a group of selfish students no-one buys food/drinks or anything in bulk which would be sensible, so instead everyone eats very poorly and many unnecessary trips are needed. The neighbours also complain about the music even though the villa owner said it would be fine + it wasn't particularly loud and was never played at what could be considered anti-social hours. Nevertheless we don't want to cause problems so we keep the door shut when playing music henceforth..

Thursday: Chill in the villa, some go to San An to hit the West End but I have no desire to do this. A few girls hit Pacha for David Guetta, again this doesn't appeal to me. My friend's camera also goes missing on this night, he last had it on the balcony outside the back of the villa. We assume someone must've moved it..

Friday: Space's Birthday. My friend spends the entire day searching for his camera and everyone else helps out, but nothing. Very strange. We get Space tickets for 45 euros with a free drink (and as it transpires a free t-shirt which meant it was better value for money than I'd thought). Again I'm keen to get there early as I haven't been out since Cocoon and expect it to be a massive night, but I think we left at about 12am in the end. As we walk to the club t's frustrating to see tickets being sold for 25 euros, but nevermind. Space is busy, each room is rammed and I'm once again astounded by the crazy capacity of the club. I really wanted to see Chris Liebing and Elio Riso but I couldn't work out who was playing where or when and ended up in the main room. Whoever was djing (anyone that can fill me in?) was smashing it. Compared to Be @ Space though there were way too many guys and nothing like as many beautiful girls. Nevermind. One of the bizarre moments that has already been mentioned by others was the Michael Jackson tribute. I can't remember what tune it was (Beat It maybe?) but it went on forever as an image of him was projected on screen.. Very bizarre but cool to see nonetheless. The production, lights etc was amazing. Some cool pyrotechnics, the lasers were great and the atmosphere was very good. Eventually Deadmau5 came on and although I enjoyed his set it went on forever, I was really craving some more underground techy house or techno beats but everyone was enjoying Deadmau5 so I stayed with my friends for a change. I guess Booka Shade was delayed or something or maybe Deadmau5 just kept playing cause of the reaction he was getting but it definitely went on way beyond his alloted time. Booka Shade were good as well but I still wanted something different. It was still a great experience and an amazing night though. The 3 of us that remembered went and claimed our free t-shirts and we got a cab back to San An..

2dir88i.jpg
Busy busy.

2gw9pg8.jpg
Satanic dancers, quite cool.

21mrfdd.jpg

icr78w.jpg

dnbz8m.jpg

ip1cpe.jpg

Saturday: This is when we got into the villa to find that it had been broken into and everything had been taken. This included over 2k worth of hired Decks (2 CDJ 1000 Mk3s) + Mixer (DJM 600), my entire suitcase (which was locked) including my passport, laptop, clothes etc, everyone's ipods, phones. This was a major major shock and too much to deal with after a massive night. Everyone needed sleep but some had to go to the police station we had to notify the deck rental guy and the villa owner. They had used a crowbar or something to prise open the back metal shutter doors that protected the glass slide door before then prising open the slide door. I think everyone got a few hours sleep before some went to the police station. The police were stereotypically unhelpful and apparently laughted after being told the villa was broken into. One then made out he didnt speak English before then saying something in perfect English. Eventually a friendlier woman came and dealt with us and all of us had to go down to fill in crime reports. I was told by the villa owner and several others that the police could give me permission to fly so intended to go back soon to get it sorted. As it transpires the deck rental guy didn't have insurance and wanted us to either give him the cash for the equipment or claim additional things had been taken on insurance to cover the costs. As it stands the villa owner wants to give the deck guy (his friend we found out) the £1000 security deposit which was supposed to cover damage to the villa. Fortunately one of those on the holiday's mother is a very successful lawyer at a top firm and is dealing with it.

After the shock of the robbery I was determined that this should not be the note on which our holiday ends. Everyone was depressed and the villa was not a fun place to be. Although we'd barely slept I was eventually after much persistence able to persuade 2 of the group to come Zoo Project. It was cool, very similar to the previous week except we were all tired so chilled more than partied. I bumped into someone I hadn't seen for 3 years completely randomly and she had also lost her passport and was due to be flying back on the same day as me. This was a massive stroke of luck and it was very cool to see this old friend. I met the Italian girls she was with and they were also very cool so I went off with them and lost my 2 friends. It was actually one of the Italian girls birthday and they neglected to tell me they planned to leave Zoo very soon. As a result shortly after ingesting something potent I found myself getting a cab to the Garbi in Playa D'en Bossa. It was very strange being in that state sitting in a cab with everyone speaking Italian not really knowing what was going on or what the night was going to involve. I felt good though and knew this was going to be one of those random nights that are always the best. We arrived at the Garbi and I waited on the chilled sofa area while they went to shower etc. I was sitting there and there was strange tribal music and family entertainment going on.. Very very wierd. After what seemed like ages my friend came back and we went out to dinner. I'm not sure what the place was called but it was near to the Garbi, Italian and had only been open for like 4 months. Supposedly Valentino Rossi had eaten there the day before, and it was quite a nice place. I had no appetite for obvious reasons so I downed wine and champagne while they picked at a multitude of dishes including calamari soaked in wine and other things that were particularly unappetising at the time. I did manage some profiteroles and tiramisu which were delicious but that was it. Eventually we left and I was told we were going to Matinee...

2qkpfuu.jpg

2cqyamx.jpg

So I knew from the fliers that Matinee was a popular gay night, but I was assured it was an essential Ibiza experience akin to Manumission. I was happy to see this old friend so went along with it anyway. The cheapest ticket I could find was 50 euros but I thought what the hell. We arrived at Amnesia probably around 3. I was struck at how full on it was. The bold letters, pyrotechnics, full frontal male / female and shemale nudity. It was certainly a spectacle. There was also a multitude of shirtless hairy sweaty hench Spanish guys that you had to navigate past to get anywhere. For whatever reason I was getting far too much male attention, some shirtless short guy completely unnecessarily squeezed past me and when I stared him down he kind of smiled and said 'sorry', holding up his hands, this must be how the chicks feel! Still it was a fun night regardless. I went back to the Garbi for breakfast although I still couldn't eat much, then I had to somehow get back to San Antonio Bay. I got the bus from outside the pharmacia to Ibiza town, the bus was early and I thought ok this won't be so bad. Once at Ibiza town, however, it took forever to find out where the bus to San Antonio would be. I sat down assuming it would pull up and then realised it could be further up the street, if only I'd gone straight away up there as I saw the bus I was after pull away as I approached. I then found out that because it was Sunday it would be 3 hours before the next one came. No way was I sitting around in this heat in this condition for 3 hours. I had to get a taxi and paid near 30 euros for the privilege, but nevermind.

2ntd28h.jpg

Sunday: Slept for 5 or so hours, then chilled all day. I was told even by my dad that the police should be able to sort out my permission to fly so I didn't worry about it. The deck guy also came back a couple more times to try and sort out his cash.

Monday: I needed to go and get my passport sorted, so I waited for everyone to get up and tried to find someone to come to the police station with me. My only Spanish speaking friend refused, supposedly he was hungover and he was actually hostile when I asked. No-one else would come. I got a cab on my own but the police said they couldn't help. The guy was actually quite nice, I don't know if he could have helped or not but I was basically ****ed. I called the British Consulate to find it was closed. I went back to the villa and broke the news. No-one was particularly concerned I guess the morale and state of the group had deteriorated so much by this point that it really was every man for himself. I have no phone so I had to keep using my friends and it was hard to arrange anything. The flight was at 10AM so I'd never be able to get to Ibiza town to the embassy get the replacement passport sorted and then get to the airport for check in. I decided my only option was to try and get hold of my old friend but I forgot to get her or her Italian friend's numbers. A mate and his bird planned to go to PDB for dinner so I decided to go with them and try and get hold of my old friend at her hotel. I left a message but I guess it was never delivered, luckily I managed to get hold of them on their room phone just as they were off out to dinner. They were going Cocoon and it made sense for me to go with them and then to the consulate the next day.

I met up with the girls and got a cocoon ticket for 50 (past caring about 4 euros by this stage). After a few drinks we headed to Amnesia at around 2. I wasn't too bothered about the DJs in the terrace (Raresh and some others) so tonight I was gonna stick with them in the main room. We met up with 2 English friends they'd made at Zoo and spent the night as a group. It was a very very good night, Sven killed it and I felt great in spite of everything. The people I was with, the crowd, the negative situation which had turned out to be positive (had I not had my passport stolen I wouldn't have made it to a 3rd Cocoon!). I was very happy to be out of the villa making the most of my last night in Ibiza rather than in the villa depressed and waiting to go home. If Cocoon #2 was one of the best nights of my life; maybe this was the best because it was even better!? We stayed until Sven stopped at just past 7. There was no final tune but he gestured he had to stop which was fair enough.

n62neq.jpg

mtw0td.jpg

2mfdz0k.jpg

2w4wgmg.jpg

a2ui2s.jpg

The queue for a taxi was ridiculous and eventually we got an illegal to the Garbi for 35. This is when the reality of the forthcoming day set in. No sleep, completely exhausted and stranded in Ibiza while all my friends who I came with returned home.

Tuesday: We returned to the Garbi for a small breakfast (none of us could really eat) and then got a cab to Ibiza town. In spite of everything it was a very amusing morning. We spent forever walking up and down the main road with the bus stations trying to find the consulate and no-one knew where it was. We had to take some ridiculous horrific passport photos which have made nice souvenirs and then once we found the consulate we took a stupid amount of time filling in forms etc. My old friend was supposed to be flying back to Rome but her replacement passport would only allow her entry to the UK. As such we both had to look for flights. When we finally found some affordable flights with BA, after she booked hers the price tripled to 900 euros. I phoned up customer service and apparently she'd booked the last seat. Such rotten luck, my mood was declining as I realised I might really have to stay for another 3 days until the next easyjet flight. After a while we went back to the Garbi as they had to check out and I used the free internet. I was not in a good state but I did find flights with Ryanair for that night which fitted in perfectly with their plans. We got some amazing smoothies and food at the Garbi restaurant (where we really looked out of place with all the french families). As it transpired one of my friends had booked his flight for the wrong day. So he was now stuck in Ibiza for 3 days (I was covered by easyjet insurance as my passport had been stolen) and his girlfriend was staying with him. I went to meet them and use their shower at Tur Palace (so so needed). They were down but at least they had eachother and hadn't been out all night. I spent a while with them before returning to the Garbi where I slept for about 40 minutes on the sofa with the others before we had to go to the airport. The rest is fairly uneventful, I'm just very lucky I ran into this girl cause it pretty much saved my holiday. Everyone else was down but I had 2 amazing nights and it made the trip to the consulate and flying enjoyable rather than depressing!

11lh3ll.jpg

2cpq7hw.jpg

My regrets are obviously it's a shame the villa was robbed.. I would've liked to have hit Monza but it didn't really fit in with Space's birthday the next day or after Meganite. Also I never made it to Bora Bora or Ushuaia. Still it looks like there is a real possibility me and these girls will do Space and Cocoon closings which would be siiick. I'll add more pictures in a while..

Last edited by a moderator:
great review mate, informative and very well written.

Very dissappointed to hear about another break in at a villa and really feel for you. This is becoming a massive issue this season that needs to be addressed. Which villa company did you lease from?

This really is the year for break ins, isn't it. :cry: Sorry to hear that. Never read so many reviews that ended with the poster's stuff getting stolen. Glad you at least got to have a good time with your friends in the beginning, at least.

great review mate, informative and very well written.

Very dissappointed to hear about another break in at a villa and really feel for you. This is becoming a massive issue this season that needs to be addressed. Which villa company did you lease from?

It was from holiday-rentals.co.uk, so its really been widespread this year huh?

It was wierd how professional it was and how they exploited the one weakness in the villa's security that had been pointed out by the caretaker. He suggested we put a block of wood to prevent the slidey door being opened. Also how they didnt intentionally take any passports as well (even though they took passport cases) and how they didnt take anything from the villa (cd player / dvd player / whatever). I mentioned the camera went missing from the balcony the previous day. It must've been the theives scoping out the place and they found it outside and thought why not.. I was in alone that night as well sleeping its lucky they didnt come in then..

Last edited by a moderator:
fuking great review mate and lov the way you never give up on the island...........
as for the break in, its getting outta hand who can we trust these days taxi/dj/villa owner etc etc etc

i have the villa booked for for sep but cause there r 28 of us you always get 1/2/3 people staying home to chill, which now is a good thing but i would normally say your a ballbag for sitting in lol lol lol
good for you sit in pleaseeeeeeeeeeee
this is not the ibiza way something needs to be done hearing way way to many storys about this......

It was from holiday-rentals.co.uk, so its really been widespread this year huh?

It was wierd how professional it was and how they exploited the one weakness in the villa's security that had been pointed out by the caretaker. He suggested we put a block of wood to prevent the slidey door being opened. This is the only thing we forgot to do (the windows were locked, doors locked etc) and they knew it. I don't want to suggest foul play but you never know. Was wierd how they didnt intentionally take any passports as well (even though they took passport cases) and how they didnt take anything from the villa (cd player / dvd player / whatever). Also I mentioned the camera went missing from the balcony the previous day. It must've been the theives scoping out the place and they found it outside and thought why not.. I was in alone that night as well sleeping its lucky they didnt come in then..

from what i've read on here this is happening more frequently and i think it's disgusting that it appears the companies leasing the villas are aware of it and doing nothing. It does seems as if a professional gang are responsible and only targeting guests personal effects and cash. I'm can't stand thievery in any form but to ruin someone's holiday in such a way just beggars belief...

thanks conkermon for great review+pictures !

ps:
... Very dissappointed to hear about another break in at a villa ...
This is becoming a massive issue this season that needs to be addressed ...
that thread was important and useful:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=63841
shouldn´t have been closed :-(
would have been enough to delete the mentioned names of companies and people ...

you can´t warn people enough in regard of villa renting these days:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1298402&postcount=128
... only a question of time til something more serious happens to someone
than stuff stolen ...

you didn't lease from holiday rentals. you saw an advert on their portal and rented a villa from someone who advertised on it.

thanks conkermon for great review+pictures !

ps:

that thread was important and useful:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=63841
shouldn´t have been closed :-(
would have been enough to delete the mentioned names of companies and people ...

you can´t warn people enough in regard of villa renting these days:
http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1298402&postcount=128
... only a question of time til something more serious happens to someone
than stuff stolen ...

****ing hell that second post really puts it in perspective. Next time no laptop, I'll have to find another way to get my photos onto a drive.. Also hopefully no villa next year, for the money a nice hotel would be a much better option.

as a historian you should realise that it doesn't put it into perspective. it gives the view of 3 people who've had their house broken into - just like in your town - and of course, has no comments from the hundreds of thousands of people who've visited/lived in ibiza and not been the victim of a robbery - just like in your town.

as a historian you should realise that it doesn't put it into perspective. it gives the view of 3 people who've had their house broken into - just like in your town - and of course, has no comments from the hundreds of thousands of people who've visited/lived in ibiza and not been the victim of a robbery - just like in your town.

It most definitely puts the naivete of our group and of many others who flock to island in perspective. The fact that gangs who make their living off vulnerable tourists are in operation and such robberies are on the increase, yet I had no knowledge of the risks. We thought a villa robbery would be a very unlikely occurance.

It most definitely puts the naivete of our group and of many others who flock to british towns and cities in perspective. The fact that gangs who make their living off vulnerable citizens are in operation and such robberies are on the increase, yet I had no knowledge of the risks. We thought a house robbery would be a very unlikely occurance.

i'm thinking of cancelling my hols to england this year - i had no idea that crime existed there until i read your post!

we went out to dinner. I'm not sure what the place was called but it was near to the Garbi, Italian and had only been open for like 4 months. Supposedly Valentino Rossi had eaten there the day before, and it was quite a nice place. I had no appetite for obvious reasons so I downed wine and champagne while they picked at a multitude of dishes including calamari soaked in wine and other things that were particularly unappetising at the time. I did manage some profiteroles and tiramisu which were delicious but that was it.
shardana:

:arrow: http://www.spotlight-forums.com/showpost.php?p=1276322

(like delano, with some ex-noctambula peeps)

i'm thinking of cancelling my hols to england this year - i had no idea that crime existed there until i read your post!

Melodramatic much? Surely you can accept that large groups with all their belongings in suitcases are very nice pickings for gangs and it's not the same in the UK. These guys can operate with impunity as a result of an indifferent (dare I say incompetent?) police force and thus such gangs can thrive. It's pretty clear that is what is going on, and I never said I'm not going to Ibiza again I want to return for closings. Only that when I do I won't bring things like my laptop and I would rather not stay in a villa as I feel remote villas are much easier targets than busy hotels/apartments..

Good review man, and I like your never say die spirit!

I get the point Stephen is making. I don't think people should be put off Ibiza just because of the apparent increase in the reporting of crimes of this nature on this site. But people should be more cautious when renting villas and taking (and renting) valuable items while out there.

(to PQ) You shouldn't need to have someone manning a villa 24/7 to be safe, but you should heed the warnings and make sure you leave nothing valuable in there unattended that you would seriously miss. Also, if you must have have laptops, cameras, phones etc. make sure you back up any photos/videos/numbers etc. that can't be replaced by an insurance claim.

Also, find a bank that has 0% charges on withdrawing money abroad. Nationwide, Abbey and the Post Office do such accounts. More convenient than having travellers cheques or cash, and easier to keep an eye on.

lol, of course more reports of crime doesn't have to mean crime is up but it also might, right?
Even in the area of EU I live there are preiods where groups of eastern-europeans operate for periods before they move on. In these preiods it's warned about in the media, so its no need to take it as a negative comment about Ibiza. Especially as euopeans boardes are becomming more open it's natural that more crime would move to places with tourists.

It's becomming more important to take precautions, wherever you holiday and no need to think that Ibiza is worse (or better!) than other places.

I made it to Cocoon and headed straight for the terrace which was completely going off. Loco Dice was smashing it and it was rammed (but not as bad as the previous week). I knew I'd made a good decision to go solo and I went to get a drink before positioning myself behind the plinth where it alternates between the Cocoon dancers + the crowd all raving on it. Being on my own meant it was easy to meet people and the atmosphere was mental. Everyone was going for it I met some really cool people and danced with some gorgeous chicks. I spent the whole night at that spot and it was very eventful, definitely the best spot in the terrace. I didn't even see Sven Vath because I had no desire to leave that room. I had planned to leave quite early to get some sleep before we checked out of the grimey room and met the villa owner but I couldn't bring myself to leave. Eventually for fear of missing the bus (I had no idea when they stopped) I left at about 6.30. It was such a good night and my friends were idiots for not coming, honestly one of the best nights of my life.

:D:D:D

I went myself on the same night and had a very similar experience. The terrace was just ridiculous.

Back