Cheap flights

They’re increasingly as bad as R***air when it comes to sneaky extras, penalising people for not being dwarves.

Think I saw the Government are proposing a clampdown on 'hidden' fees but will believe it when I see it. These low cost airlines will just invent new grifts anyway.

They’re increasingly as bad as R***air when it comes to sneaky extras, penalising people for not being dwarves.
The argument is, of course, if you fly with just a small hand bag, aren't bothered by the seat choice etc, why pay a premium price for stuff you don't need?

Admits - I'm happy with this "drip-drip" pricing as it means I can guarantee a carry-on suitcase + bag, a seat on the aisle and even one up front if I wish (although, of course, if you want to be off first to clear immigration first @ Ibiza it's all pointless as the best position is last-on first-off the bus!!!)

But I get that it's annoying when you get a base fare and it's well below what you eventually pay.

Maybe there should be a system where there are two prices, the absolute minimum and the absolute maximum (hold bags, carry-on, best seat excluding food/fast track etc). So Ibiza by Spotlightjet in July minimum £75, maximum £200. So when you get to the "pay button it's not so bad?

Think I saw the Government are proposing a clampdown on 'hidden' fees but will believe it when I see it. These low cost airlines will just invent new grifts anyway.
Base prices will go up of course, so those not needing the "extras" will end up paying for them, and it's gonna be carnage with everyone trying to get their suitcases on board when there simply isn't room, holding everything up as some are moved to the hold. Bad enough as it is at times!

Yup, base will rise, and then you will pay on top for the guarantee of allowing your case on-board, and a seat that you want. Think the governments rulings are with the best of intentions, but inadvisable to carry out.

Each to their own of course but I reckon people get to an age where you're basically done with slumming it, during priceless holiday time when you just want to destress.

Each to their own of course but I reckon people get to an age where you're basically done with slumming it, during priceless holiday time when you just want to destress.

Agree id actually pay for Premium Economy on short haul if it was a thing, but I understand the economics are theyd have to charge over double to offset the loss of seats

Agree id actually pay for Premium Economy on short haul if it was a thing, but I understand the economics are theyd have to charge over double to offset the loss of seats

BA > Ldn City was brilliant in Oct. Was actually amazed how good it was. Best short haul in years. And apt so tiny you're through passports in 5min and then DLR 10min to town. Am guessing we were lucky with the fare.

There's no such thing as a cheap flight anymore! I booked my sister's flight from Man - Ibz in August with Easyjet and it was 280 quid! This is without checked luggage..I had to add a carry on each way (30 quid a leg) as they only include basically a handbag/rucksack. They don't make this super obvious though so I reckon loads of people get stung at the airport on check in thinking they have a carry on included!

Flying from the US every year means getting creative. I usually book a cheap trans Atlantic flight to bcn and get the Ibiza leg separate. Iberia has a discount subsidiary Level. I flew with them in 2023 and it is very basic with uncomfortable seating, but it gets the job done. A long haul Ryanair.1000010932.png

Flying from the US every year means getting creative. I usually book a cheap trans Atlantic flight to bcn and get the Ibiza leg separate. Iberia has a discount subsidiary Level. I flew with them in 2023 and it is very basic with uncomfortable seating, but it gets the job done. A long haul Ryanair.View attachment 17005

Have you flown with Iberia before? Notoriously rude staff and as you say more akin to a low-cost experience. Take sedatives.

Some very cheap flights around usual R1 weekend first weekend of August. as cheap as £90 return for rubbish times, or even £180 ish for really good morning out/evening return on one of, if not, the most expensive out/return day combos of Thursday to Tuesday

Stansted and Gatwick have BA return flights in the 130-160 ranges right now, looks like most dates too. Some solid deals out there

I've was happy enough to get return Easyjet flights for the 4 of us 26th May-1st June for £1163 including 2 hold cases.

Booked my return flight for Wednesday 7th August 4:30pm, great time to leave & only £60ish. I'll now be looking for an early morning flight on the Friday before that👍. Will have to cover Paradise on the next trip, planned mid/late Sept.

Back