Amnesia Closing

lovely ... way too many smelly men + RIDICULOUS deco
biglaugh.gif

I'll tell more about this later, but in 8 years of doing amnesia closing it was the first time I left the club before it shut. luciano and villalobos killed it - in a bad way. space closing on the other hand was better than I had expected. off to dc10 in a bit now.

So glad it wasn't just our group that shared this opinion. We went late. Around 8/ 9 am and only lasted till 2 and that was a struggle. I wasn't sure if maybe we had already missed the best bit, but we kept waiting for something special and it never arrived, actually it just got worse. Pretty much sounded like Luciano, Troxler et al at been on it with the rest of the club all night. A fair amount of poor mixing going on a well which is pretty poor form for a closing night. Maybe had I been on it since midnight I wouldn't have noticed! Such a shame had high hopes. cocoon closing will do next time a reckon for my Amnesia fix.

right ok, here's a bit of personal feedback on the last few days and nights...

after the 24 hours with cocoon on monday and tuesday last week I got ill. had been in excellent health over the whole summer, but once a season it hits you and this time it hit me just after the cocoonathon. this meant I had to skip tribal sessions closing, enter closing plus the after of it as well as privilege closing (or any other night on friday). by saturday I felt alright again. wasn't up for ushuaïa closing though, so our closing stint started on early sunday morning.

amnesia closing - arrived there at 5am. was perfectly busy then, tINI was just playing and I quite liked her set. daylight then arrived and it was mar-t's turn, who did a decent job - actually I think it's one of the best sets I've ever heard from him. but when he started to play they put up the volume to a for me still unknown level. you all know I'm at amnesia regularly (most mondays) and I love that club, but that was simply too much. I'm wearing proper earplugs for two full seasons now, but even with them it was super loud. I actually asked myself how everyone without protection can stand this volume. anyway, up next were seth & the muncher. they were ok, pretty good. then maceo. he had been the absolute highlight of amnesia closing last year so obviously expectations were high...expectations which only halfway were fulfilled. then at 2pm luciano & pillaglobos came on. urgh. now my main issue with luciano these days is that 80% of his sets contain of boring endless loops and sound snippets rather than actual tracks. yes, it's energetic, it's forward-going, but it just doesn't do it for me. why do I like the likes of dixon, mano, sven etc? because their sets tell a story. they have a start, their sets build an arc of suspense and they have and end. what luciano plays nowadays is, to me, all the same from A to Z. and while I appreciate I may have a strong opinion on this and some might think WTF about this, believe me, here on the island a lot of friends and industry people thought exactly the same. ah and villalobos, read on for that (next wave closing part). so anyway, we left at 3:30 - three hours before the party finished. as I had mentioned, it's the first time ever we left amnesia closing before the last track. only upside: it never was too busy.

more in a bit...

space closing - we had a nice two hour nap between amnesia closing and space closing, and also had a proper meal. got into space at 10pm. while I thought both richie and coxy (on the car park) weren't anything special (especially richie played a very accessible set I thought), I still always love those last few hours outside - simply because it's open air, everyone's there and the vibe is always really friendly. the period from 2am to 6am was spent between the terraza and el salon. then of course we were on the terraza again before 7am when coxy and fanciulli started their b2b sesh. and while this year the magic at amnesia closing simply wasn't there, the last hours of space closing were a definite season highlight for me. such a good vibe everywhere, coxy and nic in brilliant form, the terraza in daylight - this was GRRRREAT! them playing age of love short before 12 noon was a climax of course. space closed at 12:30 but as we were chatting to the staff, we were literally thrown out of space only at 1pm. again, space closing was perfectly busy. not one moment I thought it was too busy and a pain.

back home then for a much needed shower, food and a 3 hour nap. up again late afternoon and made our way to...

dc10 closing - got in at around 7:30pm. spent all evening (until about 1:45am) in the garden which bit by bit got busier until it then was really really busy. tania vulcano played a decent set for once (yay, she can do it if she wants) and I was especially plesantly surprised by jamie jones I must say. of course also got seth and the martinez bros. we then left for the terrace to see dixon. musically, speaking about the whole closing weekend, the hours between 2am and 6:30am on the terrace at dc10 were a standout. dixon was class as ever, maceo was much better than in dc10 and tale of us were the icing on the cake. missed mano le tough though who played in the main room the same time as dixon, but you can't have it all in the end... also must say dc10 got it right this time in terms of letting people in (or not). because only when the outside (garden) music stopped (it was around 5am I think - I was on the terrace) it really really really got busy elsewhere. until that time, it was OK. when apollonia started, we stayed for another hour and then by 7:30am we needed fresh air (the air inside had gotten awful by then I must say) so we went outside. we then realised it couldn't get any better again after those hours on the terrace so called it a night.

got into bed at 9am I think, slept like a baby for 5 hours and then got up again for the last one. headed to sa caleta on early tuesday afternoon for a much needed paella with my friends. paella sadly wasn't the best, but it did the trick and gave us energy for what was left. off we went to blue marlin...

dc10 afters - nice to go to blue marlin and finally finding the place full with like-minded people instead of cnuts showing off their cash. was already nicely busy when we got there (5:30pm-ish). found a nice spot and stayed there for the whole night. musically it was a bit of everything really, nothing outstanding I thought, but it was a nice open air party with 10000000 friends all joining in. it stopped at 00:30. hopped into a cab to pdb, stopped for a pizza at ciao ciao and then headed to sankeys.

next wave closing - I think we got in at about 2:30am. spent a good few hours in the lab, where villalobos was playing together with the romanians (RPR). good music mostly, but if there ever was a f***up in mixing (and there were a few) it ALWAYS was ricardo. god yeah, maybe you are a genius for weird sounds and you've produced some outstanding tunes in the past, but get a fcuking grip you twat. even sven had realised a few years ago that there are limits and in the last two years he's been playing like clockwork no matter how many hours he'd been playing. if I was a paying punter and I went to see ricardo I'd be fuming most times tbh. anyway, in general it was a cool party music wise - only downside was it was far too hot in the lab. at around 5am I was done so we called it a night.

and that were my closings. didn't have the energy or the guts for destino and/or sankeys closing last night. enough of clubbing for me now for a while, next proper party will be halloween which is always super fun here.

last but not least people had been commenting about 'closings nothing special', 'not as good as it used to be' etc. I guess that for us people living on the island it will never be the same as for hoildaymakers. the main issue for us during the summer is that a) even though we're clubbing during the summer, there's always a few good friends that can't make it to this or that party because of work. and b) even though you're clubbing, with a very few exceptions, you're always clubbing with the handbrakes on because you know that the next day, work is waiting for you again. in stark contrast to this, on the closing party weekend EVERYONE is out and NO ONE cares if the party ends at 6am or 6pm. it's the only time over the whole summer where we get to behave like the tourists when they're on holiday. that's why closings for us will always be the number one period in terms of parties.

just got back today... loved it all...
i think you're spot on stivi about the end of season and everyones out...
even though we don't live there, its one time of year we are sure that all of our mates are over for the ultimate blow out end of summer parties.... love it.
loved amnesia and left about 11:30am... sounds like it was the perfect time.
ibiza flu is on the way... ready to hibernate until openings.
feeling super content.

Can't describe how gutted I am to have missed the back end of Space. I actually liked Hawtins set, although I thought his closing set at Enter was much better and possibly my highlight. The car park was amazing though. So glad we went for that. I think if we had just made it to 7 we would have done it, but had no energy and wasn't enjoying the music. Was hoping for a bit more from deep dish but didn't enjoy their set at all and wasn't feeling any of the other rooms at that time.

now my main issue with luciano these days is that 80% of his sets contain of boring endless loops and sound snippets rather than actual tracks. yes, it's energetic, it's forward-going, but it just doesn't do it for me. why do I like the likes of dixon, mano, sven etc? because their sets tell a story. they have a start, their sets build an arc of suspense and they have and end. what luciano plays nowadays is, to me, all the same from A to Z.

thank you for that stivi. was feeling the same when I heard luciano on the cocoon terrace twice but couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong with his set. you sum it up perfectly!

space closing - we had a nice two hour nap between amnesia closing and space closing, and also had a proper meal. got into space at 10pm. while I thought both richie and coxy (on the car park) weren't anything special (especially richie played a very accessible set I thought), I still always love those last few hours outside - simply because it's open air, everyone's there and the vibe is always really friendly. the period from 2am to 6am was spent between the terraza and el salon. then of course we were on the terraza again before 7am when coxy and fanciulli started their b2b sesh. and while this year the magic at amnesia closing simply wasn't there, the last hours of space closing were a definite season highlight for me. such a good vibe everywhere, coxy and nic in brilliant form, the terraza in daylight - this was GRRRREAT! them playing age of love short before 12 noon was a climax of course. space closed at 12:30 but as we were chatting to the staff, we were literally thrown out of space only at 1pm. again, space closing was perfectly busy. not one moment I thought it was too busy and a pain.

back home then for a much needed shower, food and a 3 hour nap. up again late afternoon and made our way to...

dc10 closing - got in at around 7:30pm. spent all evening (until about 1:45am) in the garden which bit by bit got busier until it then was really really busy. tania vulcano played a decent set for once (yay, she can do it if she wants) and I was especially plesantly surprised by jamie jones I must say. of course also got seth and the martinez bros. we then left for the terrace to see dixon. musically, speaking about the whole closing weekend, the hours between 2am and 6:30am on the terrace at dc10 were a standout. dixon was class as ever, maceo was much better than in dc10 and tale of us were the icing on the cake. missed mano le tough though who played in the main room the same time as dixon, but you can't have it all in the end... also must say dc10 got it right this time in terms of letting people in (or not). because only when the outside (garden) music stopped (it was around 5am I think - I was on the terrace) it really really really got busy elsewhere. until that time, it was OK. when apollonia started, we stayed for another hour and then by 7:30am we needed fresh air (the air inside had gotten awful by then I must say) so we went outside. we then realised it couldn't get any better again after those hours on the terrace so called it a night.

got into bed at 9am I think, slept like a baby for 5 hours and then got up again for the last one. headed to sa caleta on early tuesday afternoon for a much needed paella with my friends. paella sadly wasn't the best, but it did the trick and gave us energy for what was left. off we went to blue marlin...

dc10 afters - nice to go to blue marlin and finally finding the place full with like-minded people instead of cnuts showing off their cash. was already nicely busy when we got there (5:30pm-ish). found a nice spot and stayed there for the whole night. musically it was a bit of everything really, nothing outstanding I thought, but it was a nice open air party with 10000000 friends all joining in. it stopped at 00:30. hopped into a cab to pdb, stopped for a pizza at ciao ciao and then headed to sankeys.

next wave closing - I think we got in at about 2:30am. spent a good few hours in the lab, where villalobos was playing together with the romanians (RPR). good music mostly, but if there ever was a f***up in mixing (and there were a few) it ALWAYS was ricardo. god yeah, maybe you are a genius for weird sounds and you've produced some outstanding tunes in the past, but get a fcuking grip you twat. even sven had realised a few years ago that there are limits and in the last two years he's been playing like clockwork no matter how many hours he'd been playing. if I was a paying punter and I went to see ricardo I'd be fuming most times tbh. anyway, in general it was a cool party music wise - only downside was it was far too hot in the lab. at around 5am I was done so we called it a night.

and that were my closings. didn't have the energy or the guts for destino and/or sankeys closing last night. enough of clubbing for me now for a while, next proper party will be halloween which is always super fun here.

last but not least people had been commenting about 'closings nothing special', 'not as good as it used to be' etc. I guess that for us people living on the island it will never be the same as for hoildaymakers. the main issue for us during the summer is that a) even though we're clubbing during the summer, there's always a few good friends that can't make it to this or that party because of work. and b) even though you're clubbing, with a very few exceptions, you're always clubbing with the handbrakes on because you know that the next day, work is waiting for you again. in stark contrast to this, on the closing party weekend EVERYONE is out and NO ONE cares if the party ends at 6am or 6pm. it's the only time over the whole summer where we get to behave like the tourists when they're on holiday. that's why closings for us will always be the number one period in terms of parties.

excellent write up mate. may I ask what ear plugs you are using? Haven't used them before but really need to start.

excellent write up mate. may I ask what ear plugs you are using? Haven't used them before but really need to start.

thanks. me (and a lot of other locals) use the elacin ones. you can choose between 3 filters, 9dB, 15dB and 25dB. 25dB is definitely too much, most of us have either the 9dB or 15dB ones. I personally have the 15dB ones and am super happy with them. you do need to get used to earplugs at first, the first few nights are a bit of a pain in the ass, but once you've got used to your plugs, you do not wanna go clubbing without them anymore. gone are white noise mornings and you'll be surprised how less 'tired' your ears feel, even after a 24hour hardcore clubbing session.

earplugs are the way forward.

thanks. me (and a lot of other locals) use the elacin ones. you can choose between 3 filters, 9dB, 15dB and 25dB. 25dB is definitely too much, most of us have either the 9dB or 15dB ones. I personally have the 15dB ones and am super happy with them. you do need to get used to earplugs at first, the first few nights are a bit of a pain in the ass, but once you've got used to your plugs, you do not wanna go clubbing without them anymore. gone are white noise mornings and you'll be surprised how less 'tired' your ears feel, even after a 24hour hardcore clubbing session.

earplugs are the way forward.

I changed to 15db from 25db and can recommend.

Back