End of season summary/thoughts

some of the best music ever heard on the balcony of jabaque apts our neighbours said
giphy.gif

Perhaps from the Slagaluff types but the more you go to Ibiza, you'll soon come to realise copping off is the last thing on most girls minds - Last thing on my mind as well. All I want to do is dance!

Never understood this position from many of my fellow old hands. When young and on holiday, nothing could be better. It's fairly puritanical to some how think such daliances cheapen the 'real' experience.

The Stride of Pride (TM) after a three day bender and rubbing up with a stranger - how could anything be more Ibiza?

Never understood this position from many of my fellow old hands. When young and on holiday, nothing could be better. It's fairly puritanical to some how think such daliances cheapen the 'real' experience.

The Stride of Pride (TM) after a three day bender and rubbing up with a stranger - how could anything be more Ibiza?
I love the old ibiza dalliance and romance haha

I used to find meat markets are more conducive to that sort of thing - whether student unions, the hammersmith palais or yer cheap n cheerful holiday disco

...whereas the whole etiquette is different at a serious club where the dancing is more communal & girls don't take kindly to octopuses - and even when you do pull, you're usually too banjaxed to get it up anyway!

I used to find meat markets are more conducive to that sort of thing - whether student unions, the hammersmith palais or yer cheap n cheerful holiday disco

...whereas the whole etiquette is different at a serious club where the dancing is more communal & girls don't take kindly to octopuses - and even when you do pull, you're usually too banjaxed to get it up anyway!

Indeed the Octopus should keep his tentacles to himself, but you are talking to everyone, in a happy place, there's a high probability you're going to hit it off with someone. Leaving Space after the best Sunday ever with a new friend you're loving talking to, who you really fancy - that isn't an authentic Ibiza experience?

Indeed the Octopus should keep his tentacles to himself, but you are talking to everyone, in a happy place, there's a high probability you're going to hit it off with someone. Leaving Space after the best Sunday ever with a new friend you're loving talking to, who you really fancy - that isn't an authentic Ibiza experience?

It wouldn't even cross my mind! I have to dance as much as I can, it's the most important thing to me and I don't have much time to do it! I won't even go for a fag or get a drink for hours when I'm in the zone lol

Just to put it out there that Magaluf is totally the opposite. Where it got the name shagaluf from I have no idea. Been twice some time ago and honestly it is 90% guys out there. The females you find are all sun burnt and puking on their sandals.

But you're right - when on holiday (Ibiza) and getting female attention. Dancing with a female stranger on the dance floor to great music and then going back to their room and both deciding on how many children you are going to have. Makes the night even better.

I'm no puritan..believe me!

but if you go to a straight dance club specifically to pull, I think you're kinda missing the point. in the early 'innocent' days of raving when I had no idea what the hell was going on in my head, I found everyone beautiful, it was very much about the whole crowd, hundreds of people in the same zone, the whole group hug thing. yes, someone might catch your eye but that wasn't the primary thing. Maybe it's a London thing, but there was always that 'attitude' thing in the 90s. Be cool, don't be a dick. Sure people pulled but it wasn't why people were there.

I'm no puritan..believe me!

but if you go to a straight dance club specifically to pull, I think you're kinda missing the point. in the early 'innocent' days of raving when I had no idea what the hell was going on in my head, I found everyone beautiful, it was very much about the whole crowd, hundreds of people in the same zone, the whole group hug thing. yes, someone might catch your eye but that wasn't the primary thing. Maybe it's a London thing, but there was always that 'attitude' thing in the 90s. Be cool, don't be a dick. Sure people pulled but it wasn't why people were there.

I feel sorry for anyone specifically looking to pull and I can be sure they will fail if that is their intention. My impression is everyone just wants to get lost in the music. Pulling a guy or girl is surely the last thing on many people's mind??

That there would be a p1sshead invasion of the superclub scene in the late 90's in Ibiza was a very real fear and, to a certain extent, has come to pass. But I think that, as house music became more popular and permeated more of popular culture, this was inevitable. In more opinion, having more drinkers certainly changed the atmosphere in clubs not only in Ibiza, but in London as well.

I cut my teeth clubbing in early 90's in the South East of the UK, and, in the early days, alcohol was a very small part of the clubbing experience. Club UK, for instance, didn't even have an alcohol licence so you can imagine that the atmosphere was very 'luvdup' in there! This had also very much been the case with the Acid House/Rave scene as well.

When alcohol became more prevalent in clubs, I certainly bemoaned the loss of that atmosphere, and, even to this day, I drink very little when I'm on beans as I just don't like the combination. But as time has gone on, and my original club mates have fallen to the wayside, I appreciate that some people like/need a drink during their clubbing experience.

I'd also like to add my experiences of muscular guys in clubs and them dancing topless. I appreciate that this might not be in everyone's clubbing history but they certainly existed in the harder/techno clubs I used to frequent especially in the early 90's. Club UK again always had a row of topless guys (some in better shape than others!) dancing on the front of the stage in the harder/techno room. I know because I was one of them. I never saw any aggro towards them or experienced it myself because, as I said before, everyone was loved up and happy for everyone to enjoy the night their way.

That said, I've always taken the attitude that clubbing should be about enjoying yourself but only if that enjoyment doesn't impinge upon other's. So I would happily dance topless now if it was that kind of event (Ants, beach parties/Bora Bora etc and even some warehouse techno events if that appeared to be the norm) but, if I feel that doing so will upset/disgust/not be appropriate, then I'll stay covered up.

On that last note, I also think its relative to what you experienced in your clubbing history. Topless guys were fairly common at certain events in London in the early 90's (I saw them at Bagleys/Chunnel Club on various occasions for example) but there was a definite change in the mid to late 90's where people started dressing up more and clubs started enforcing dress codes (Malibu Stacey being the worst example) and initially I resented this as, for me, clubbing shouldn't be about what clothes you wear but what attitude you bring. But again I had to adapt and, in the end, found some enjoyment about hunting down and wearing some outlandish outfits in the late 90's!

I actually met a lovely young couple (22/23ish) last year and the guy was openly on 'roids' and even showed me his vials/syringes when we went back to theirs after the club. That said, he was one of the nicest guys I've met in Ibiza for a while and we had a great time clubbing with them for the rest of our trip. They knew their music and they truly embodied the real clubbing experience.

I also understand the older clubber's views of filming/pictures and miss the days where cameras were banned in clubs in Ibiza, but as my clubbing buddies have changed I've seen how normal it is for clubbers nowadays to take pictures/video when they're out. Society has become more narcissistic (I see this daily in my work) and this perhaps is a reason/consequence of this. Occasionally it does become excessive - last year at Pacha and I was dancing upstairs at the front of the balcony, and a guy asked me if he could squeeze past and take a picture. It broke my rhythm but I thought ok, he wants to take a good picture of the dance floor. When 5 mins later he was still there filming, I had to tell him that enough was enough! I guess if it ever bugs me that much I will have to stop.

Personally I find drunk guys who stumble aggressively through a club (often clearly fuelled by marching powder) far more off-putting to my club experience but this is the world we live in now. The inevitable rise of the VIP (at least in the short-term) will only further sour this atmosphere.

For the moment, I can still find clubs/events/festivals where there is enough of that original experience to make it enjoyable. How long that will last and how much of it will remain in Ibiza is another question....

Nail and head Bonzo

Since I feel that this has sort of turned on me/aesthetic and or body building guys. I just want to add that the large majority of clubbers in Ibiza, male or female. Want to be beautiful, immersed in the experience and to express them self in any way shape or form....I have seen some judgemental comments and stereotyping on this forum but luckily you just don't feel when you are in Ibiza.

Nail and head Bonzo

Since I feel that this has sort of turned on me/aesthetic and or body building guys. I just want to add that the large majority of clubbers in Ibiza, male or female. Want to be beautiful, immersed in the experience and to express them self in any way shape or form....I have seen some judgemental comments and stereotyping on this forum but luckily you just don't feel when you are in Ibiza.

When did you complete this extensive interview of the large majority of clubbers?

Back