Yanks in Ibiza

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

litrobud

Hi,

I'm a 21 year old American college student who studied in Brussels last year and spent the last week of my stay in Europe in Ibiza (early June). I need to go back. Me and my friend here at university want to work next summer after we graduate. I have a few questions:
1) How hard is it for a non-EU citizen to work there over the summer? Will employers hire us under the table? Is the paperwork involved too complicated?
2) I've read that for most jobs you should arrive late April, but we don't graduate until mid-May. Is this gonna be a problem?

We have a few connections--one of my friend's uncles lives in Mallorca and knows some people in Ibiza and the European roommate of another friend worked there 2 summers ago. What are our chances?????? I will be very depressed if someone tells me that they're not very good, so please choose your words carefully... Thanks

-Mike

This might help you a little - according to the American embassy in Spain:

AMERICAN CITIZEN SERVICES
Traveling to Spain

Entry for Tourism / Business

American citizens can enter Spain or Andorra visa-free for periods of up to three months. Spanish government regulations may require a return or on-going ticket or proof of funds. Should an American citizen wish to remain longer than ninety days, you will be required to obtain an extension of stay from Spanish immigration authorities. This extension, of no more than ninety days, must be requested at a police station at least three weeks before the initial entry period expires. It is only granted under exceptional circumstances. By law, foreigners who have overstayed their permitted time will not be allowed to leave Spain without first obtaining an exit permit from the Directorate of Security of the State in Madrid or from the local police in another city. A fine, commensurate with the time overstayed, may be charged.

Should you be considering a stay in Spain longer than three months you should inquire with the Spanish embassy or consulate near your place of residence outside of Spain prior to entry. You may also write directly to the Spanish National Police at Calle Moratin, 43, 28014 Madrid; or check the Spanish Ministry of Interior’s website.

Residency and Work Permits

American citizens wanting to study, reside, or work in Spain must obtain the appropriate visa from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their state/country of last residence. After the visa has been issued, foreigners have three months to apply for the corresponding permit with the Spanish authorities in Spain. Obtaining a residence or work permit is a complicated process; since regulations change continually, we suggest that you write directly to the:

Spanish National Police
Calle Moratin, 43
28014 Madrid

You may also check the Ministry of Interior ’s website, or call the Ministry of Interior, within Spain, toll-free at 900-15-00-00. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also manages a website.

---------------------------------------
My friend lives in Spain (and he is an EU citizen) and he found the red tape quite frustrating when he went over there. My guess would be that some employers would probably be willing to hire you 'under the table' - but you would only be able to do this if you are staying for under three months, otherwise you would be caught out. Its also a bit of a risk to do it that way - I wouldn't fancy risking a run in with the Spanish police!

Hope this helps!

Good idea?

hey

if we knew a british girl working over here (in NY, Ameriiiica) who worked in ibiza last summer and got some contacts from her (i.e. her employer and others she may have met) , would it be a good idea to contact them beforehand and try to at least have a reasonable guarantee of a job? Especially cuz we're yanks and will have to go through hell and highwater to get work visas from the espanol consulate. Prolly get spanked by Aznar as well, that bastard. Thanks for any thoughts

-Mike

reality check.

there are probably thousands of young people who arrive on the island unannounced every spring clamouring for any job at any salary. do you think that any employer in such a buyers market would go to the trouble of entering into a dialogue with somebody thousands of miles away who has no papers to work here.

i don't. but you may be lucky.

sorry to sound harsh but that's the way it is here.

yes, but

Thanks Stephen --

But we americans are a special lot -- i would suspect anyone in Ibiza would be enamored of us -- :rolleyes: I'm trying to maximize our chances of getting a job. (remember - americans work harder than any other country)

i worked last summer in ibiza (2003). and i can say that it was, hands down, the best experience of my life, its simply put incredible. and i'm coming back there as soon as the season starts again!

now that i know what goes on there workwise, i can tell you right now that you WILL find a job, its just a question of what one. being an american in no way disadvantages you, as long as you speak english you're fine. don't bother with getting in touch with people before you come, ibiza doesn't work that way, what you do is turn up and hope for the best, its a risk, but a very small one. the staff turn over rate is very high, and there ARE jobs all the time.

in most jobs its unofficial employment, cash in hand. so for an american all you have to worry about is getting a visa to come over to ibiza. easy for us brits, we just jump on a plane! contracts aren't uncommon, but do require all the paperwork, so try and stay away from them. basically the trick to holding your job is a good relationship with your boss, behave & abide by the rules (if any!) and your job is safe.

i got lucky since i graced the island at the end of june, met the right people and after a couple of shit jobs, i got lucky and got a very good one which i stuck with right until october. when i return in april, i'll be walking back into it, second season is easy :) !

when you arrive the 1st couple of weeks will be turbulant, it'll be full of ups and downs, but after you settle in, its a very, very good lifestyle. i had some low points out there at the start, almost left a couple of times, but you MUST always ride out the lows as sooner or later it will all come into place, and trust me, its worth it. you will get up to some serious madness out there!

the trick to getting a good job, is find any job first of all to support yourself, then network, network, network! don't expect to walk into a good job straight off. talk to people get to know them and keep your ears open on anyone getting fired/leaving then nip straight into it! its what i did, and it paid dividends, i had an amazing summer.

i met about 5 americans over the summer, 3 tourists from miami, and 2 workers from texas and washington. both very good friends of mine. they didn't have any problems in getting work, and had a great time! its a shame there weren't anymore, as 98% of the workers are british!!

so to sum it up, if you're thinking of doing it, do it. simple as really!

any questions email me right here: aat_uk@msn.com
ps. my experience is based on working san antonio, working in ibiza town is probably a completely different experience!

Yank girls in Ibiza

I have my ticket booked, and I should be in Ibiza by May 20th. My question is, what should a single girl do once she arrives in Ibiza with no work , transportation, or place to stay? I do not speak Spanish, and was in Ibiza last summer for vacation. Should I reserve a room or rent a car? Is there a common meeting point for people such as myself? Any advice would be appreciated.

lisalee: what you do is you book a cheap hotel in san antonio for a couple of days (if that's where you want to work), then you use that as your base for finding a job and then securing an apartment with some other workers. book before hand, through this website, and make sure that if you're staying in san an, you stay in the centre, not around the bay!

once you get there go to the ship inn pub at the top of the west end, where the infamous ibiza workers notice board is, this is where it all starts.

good to see more americans making the trip over, and hope to see you out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back