WTH? Did I land in Ibiza-gradsky ?

drtechno

What a change a year brings. Holy crap. The number of Russians, especially VIP Russians, is startling. The number of places catering to expensive Russian tastes is nuts. Its like I landed in "little russia". KM5 now has a caviar menu?? What??

^^ You can credit Mr Matutes and Nikki Beach etc. for that in part ! Provide what they're looking for and they will come in droves.... with the express intention of throwing a great deal of dosh about. Doesn't matter whether it's value for money as long as it's flashy and expensive enough to show off with. Bling bling ...

Oh - and maybe Cyprus being a tad out of favour and fashion (for obvious reasons !) has encouraged some of them to look a little further afield :idea:

KM5 now has a caviar menu?? What??

I thought they already had that last year on request :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry where are you?

Are you in ibiza town or san antonio?

the russians started coming more last year when more direct flights were offered. can't really comment on the VIP sector nationalities as I don't care enough about it to do any field research. generally speaking though, the nationality I feel is rising most this year is the dutch. they had a huge media push last year and ibiza seems to be very very trendy in the netherlands now.

There are more direct flights now.

Ibiza.ru (Andrey Voronin) has tourist offices in both San Antonio and PdB (before anyone tries to revive that San An v PdB chestnut)

But I should add that there has always been a decent number of Russians going to the island for as long as I have. My first trip in 2001 was on an organized tour from Moscow that was being run weekly all summer. That same year, Moscow's Club XIII was running Sunday nights at El Divino (sadly titled "From Russia with Love").

I've not had a year I've been there when I haven't heard Russian spoken around or even met people. I was at a party here in Moscow on Saturday night and saw one guy I met 7-8 years ago at DC10.

^^ You can credit Mr Matutes and Nikki Beach etc. for that in part ! Provide what they're looking for and they will come in droves.... with the express intention of throwing a great deal of dosh about. Doesn't matter whether it's value for money as long as it's flashy and expensive enough to show off with. Bling bling ...

Oh - and maybe Cyprus being a tad out of favour and fashion (for obvious reasons !) has encouraged some of them to look a little further afield :idea:
Sorry mate. That is all absolutely inaccurate.

As for Cyprus, I have about 10 friends who've been there in the past couple of months so that's not true either!

Sorry mate. That is all absolutely inaccurate.

As for Cyprus, I have about 10 friends who've been there in the past couple of months so that's not true either!

I think in fairness the St Tropez-style offerings do tend to attract those out to splash some cash, Morbs ;). Bees to the honey pot and all that ...

As for Cyprus, were they going to see their bank managers ? :lol: (sorry - couldn't resist !)

I think in fairness the St Tropez-style offerings do tend to attract those out to splash some cash, Morbs ;). Bees to the honey pot and all that ...

As for Cyprus, were they going to see their bank managers ? :lol: (sorry - couldn't resist !)
I have Russian friends who have stayed in Ushuaia but they're not "bling bling". They didn't go to Ibiza because Ushuaia or Nikki Beach or whatever else exist. They go to Ibiza because they want to go to Ibiza.

I have Russian friends who have stayed in Ushuaia but they're not "bling bling". They didn't go to Ibiza because Ushuaia or Nikki Beach or whatever else exist. They go to Ibiza because they want to go to Ibiza.

Great - that's your friends.... but a representative sample of 10 isn't exactly statistically significant. I have friends from Essex who don't have centre partings and don't wear fake tan. They still acknowledge there are many who do - and that they love Paradise @ DC-10 and Circo Loco's London events !

The growth in VIP-friendly venues leads to the island getting a reputation as catering for cash splashing and expensive fashion and that is guaranteed to attract those who want to from many countries. It just so happens that Russia has a high number of people who do.

airport statistics pretty well all over spain tell us that the Russian market is the fastest growing one this year. in Mallorca there has been a surge in numbers wanting to learn Russian and on the costa blanca most menus, house for sale details are all in Russian - there's even a big Russian orthodox church near Benidorm.

Back