working in ibiza - a guide

Ok thanks, it's just I read that once you've applied for the NIE when you're in Ibiza that you have to wait up to 6 weeks to receive it. Is this true?

Ok thanks, it's just I read that once you've applied for the NIE when you're in Ibiza that you have to wait up to 6 weeks to receive it. Is this true?

it might take that long, 2 weeks is a more realistic waiting time.

Just so everyone knows I found out that you can also apply for NIE through your nearest Spanish Consulate. Some info on how.....

2. Applying for an NIE number in person via a Spanish Consulate abroad

You can also apply for an NIE from Spanish consulates around the world if you do not have the time to apply whilst you are in Spain.

The process is as follows:

1) Prepare the necessary documentation:
  • Your passport and a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the page that includes your photo, name, passport number, address, etc.).
  • 2 recent passport size photographs with a plain coloured background.
  • 2 copies of the appropriate application form duly completed but NOT SIGNED as you will need to sign in the presence of a consular official. The Spanish consulate will not be able to provide you with this form so you must obtain it beforehand. The Spanish name for this application form is Solicitud de NIE. para residentes en el extranjero (Ex-14bis), and you can download it by clicking on the link below. This will open up a new browser window and display the forms in 'pdf' format.
  • A self-addressed envelope (no stamp)
  • An envelope addressed to:

Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación
    Dirección General de Policia
    C/ General Pardiñas, 90
    28006 Madrid

Tel: +34 91 322 6824 / 26
  • It appears that there is no longer any fee to pay (you used to have to pay a cheque of £22 to "The Spanish Consulate General"). You may wish to ring the consulate beforehand to check this, or just take your cheque book along to be on the safe side.
  • You might also have to produce an original document (plus a photocopy) that justifies your reason for applying for an NIE number. If you are applying for an NIE number because you have bought a property in Spain, this means the official copy of the deeds of purchase given to you by the Notary (called a copia simple in Spanish). If you have not yet signed the deeds before Notary then the private contract of sale that you have signed with the vendor or developer. This documentation might not be necessary, but best have it with you just in case. If you don't have it, then don't worry too much, as both London and Manchester consulates say they don't require it.
2) Take all documentation in person to your nearest Spanish Consulate.

You have to go in person with all the relevant documentation to your nearest Spanish consulate. The Spanish Consulate cannot issue NIE numbers; it only acts as a "postal box" between the applicant and the competent authorities in Spain. Once you have submitted your application through the Consulate they will not be able to provide you with any further information on the status of your application. For any further information or enquires as to the status of your application you should write to the address given above for the Comisaría General de Extranjería y Documentación.

For contact details of Spanish Consulates in the United Kingdom see below:

3) Await notification from the Spanish authorities

If all goes well you should receive your number through the post within 4 – 6 weeks. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to have the NIE number sent to your address abroad, make sure you print this address very carefully on the application form, and also include a self-addressed envelope (no stamp). The website of the Spanish consulate in London says you have to use an address in Spain, but the consulate in Manchester says you can have your NIE sent to you in the UK. This is conflicting advice, and I cannot tell you for sure which version is correct.

This seems like a far less stressfull way to get it sorted than trying to organise it when you are over there. Plus you dont seem to need the documentation they ask for if you were already in Ibiza

I am going out on the 3rd may but we have found a apartment that sleeps 6 and it is 1500 a month but between 6 its 250 a month and its newly built and its lovely even got a widescreen telly:)

SO we are gonna pay like 1000£ upfront then thats our rent for the season and whatever we earn then is ours for the rest of it:)

This sound like a good idea or not??

hi were goin begining ofmayto?how did u find the apartment theres 2 ofus girls were from manchester and want sumfin half decent to sleep!!!!!!

Hey ppl, i worked malia last year and defo up for Ibiza this year! just wondered what best ways are in gettin jobs, accomodation etc... isit the same as in malia!!!! what is min spending money needed for whole summer swel????

How much are people generally saving to take out there just to make sure they're kept well whilst finding work and accomodation etc.

Thanks found this review really helpful, i'm planning on coming to Ibiza start of may and hoping to find work and stay the season.
I'm 21 and from essex (england) any one else from around this area planning on going at this time and got any plans put in place. love to chat to you

Possible 2012 IBIZA WORKER

HEYYYYYYY! I'm a bartender, of 2 or 3 years, so well experienced, cocktails, the lottt! Easygoing & Outgoinggg of course! I need motivating & will more than likely be doing this on my own ... Accomodation sharing? Male or Femalee, groups, whatever! Anyoneee? I'm rubbish at planning!!! HELP?!!

Contact meeeeeeeeeeeeeee xxx

Do u need a nie if u are working for a UK website, as a photographer / videographer - ie, paid from uk, not Spain?

Back