will MTV be back to ibiza this year?

McRackin

Super Moderator
taken from the ibiza sun:

There are rumours circulating around the island that MTV will be back for a live concert in summer 2003. The rumour goes that all the politicians have agreed to the idea for not just one MTV macro live TV concert but for three throughout this summer! The gossip on the street says that the announcement of these festivals is being kept top secret until the end of May when the elections to all the island’s councils, the Consell Island Government & the Balearic Government, are out the way so that this controversial decision, if true, does not become an election issue!

You know I always knew that MTV has done some things in Ibiza, but I just wasn't sure what it was like. To be quite honest I despise MTV with a passsion. I think it incompasses all that is fake, unoriginal and mainstream and for that I do not enjoy what they have to offer. I feel that MTV is for simple minded, easily lead baffoons! Is the MTV in Europe the same as the MTV in America? Meaning that there is nothing, but Britney Spears, boy band, P Diddy crap on it! Anyways, I hope they don't come back, just because in my opinion anything MTV can bring nothing good to the isalnd! :evil:

I totally agree with you Susie. MTV is full crap wherever it is :evil: . They keep on playing Brtiney, Aguillera and Nelly. However, I think that MTV.france is slighltly better than Europe's.

MTV creates too much hype for places like Ibiza, Cancun, etc. People watch MTV and get a warped perspective -- thinking Ibiza is just about sex and drinking. I'm not a fan of MTV, however they did throw down a nice outdoor party at Sa Pedra rock quarry in summer'00.

yeah the first they did in ibiza it was in 99 i think was brill!!! soo many superb acts and djs...and the pre party show at mambos with eric morrillo was ace...

I'm agree with everyone here. I'm from the states and just hate MTV. I haven't watched it since the mid-90s it's gone far downhill since. Premile brings up a good point that their specials on places like Spring Break: Cancun, Jamaica, and other places do give those places a bad image. MTV portrays them as all out drunken sex fests and nothing but that. Sure things happen in places like this, but they're all about rating. I'd personally feel bad if MTV started doing anything in Ibiza. I'd fear it would start to bring way too many people to the island, especially a lot of posers/non-clubbers.

Peace.

dcb9

mtv have done things in the past and for mtv it was a huge success, and bought lots of euros to the island. To be honest it didn't really portray a bad vision of the island as there was interviews with people quoting its not just about clubbing etc and it only filmed 'happy' people clubbing.....

With maybe exception to last summer ibiza is already too full!! in the height of the summer you struggle to dance, you struggle to get a good place on the beach, you have to book days in advance to eat at a restaurant, the roads are hellish, and you can't gat a taxi for love nor money

if you want to see posers go to pacha...

Robo said:
dcb9

1. With maybe exception to last summer ibiza is already too full!!
2. If you want to see posers go to pacha...

(1) Yes, Ibiza was packed last summer. We arrived in August and had to wait 2 days just to rent scooters!

(2) There are posers everywhere -- I think Pacha has the best mix of old/young, rich/middle class, men/women. Posers -- not too many there.....

I HATE MTV!! I used to watch it as a kid, and kids are the only people it should really appeal to! A lot of my (non-clubbing) friends don't even know where or what Ibiza is and I'd really like to keep it that way. If it becomes too much of a mainstream destination, it could ruin the appeal.

jannica i don't think you have any idea of the reality of ibiza. it has been a mainstream destination for 35 years. full of ordinary tourists, families, package holiday makers and so on. these people account for over 80% of all visitors to the island. clubbers are a small but extremely vocal minority who come here for about 12 weeks per year.

do you think this island could survive without ordinary holidaymakers?

premile said:
they did throw down a nice outdoor party at Sa Pedra rock quarry in summer'00

2000 :arrow:
mtv2.jpg

Robo said:
the first they did in ibiza it was in 99 i think was brill!!! soo many superb acts and djs

1999 :arrow:
mtv.jpg

stephen said:
jannica i don't think you have any idea of the reality of ibiza. it has been a mainstream destination for 35 years.

You are right, Stephen. I guess I didn't really think about that. I am just considering it mainstream if a lot of people I know go there (which they don't). I was being rather shortsighted. Sorry. :oops:

jannica said:
I still hate MTV, but those are some really good dj's. I guess maybe they ARE good fore something. :)

Yes, I'm not a big MTV fan as well -- but the '99 party in Sa Pedra WAS off Da Hook :D

It looks like everyone from the US agrees that they hate MTV...me too. Looking at those flyers that McRackin posted could definitely sway my mind on MTV (well at least MTV in Ibiza). Those would definitely be some good DJs to see and some crucial sets.

Peace.

mtv...cool once, boring now!

well....MTV is ok when they focuse more on club-music and DJ´s rather that the likes of Christina, Mandy, Britney, Samantha, bla bla bllaaaaa...damn boring if you ask me!

Don´t think they will be back this year, honestly....Think it´s too much work for them and kids don´t understand that kinda music anyway, so why bother. Let MTV play the same old S*** they´ve always been playing.

They were only good back in the early 90´s with hosts like Ray Cokes, Christiane Backer, Majken Wexsøe (Danish!), Paul King, ect....those were the REAL MTV people, not those untalented people with no personality to fit the job!

Re: mtv...cool once, boring now!

Ibiza-girlie said:
They were only good back in the early 90´s with hosts like Ray Cokes, Christiane Backer, Majken Wexsøe (Danish!), Paul King, ect....

i agree - good times!! 8)

ray cokes was my favourite - he was so funny!! :D

mtv5years.jpg

oh yeah, and that girl form "Headbangers Ball" she was good too, hehe many happy faces and see how much older they were then than the booooring ones now! much better, more valid information, more fun!

Back