Why is daytime radio in the UK such garbage?

We were over in England for a few days the other week and had to drive down to Portsmouth in a hire car. I got so fed up with the pop stations that I put the radio on Radio 4 some of the time and listened to plays instead.

Funny you should say that...I did exactly the same!!

Ive stopped listening to "standard" radio in the daytime. I am mor likely to put on Ibiza Sonica or Ibiza Global Radio on the Internet these days.

I remember in the 80's listening to the likes of Timmy Mallet on Picadilly radio and then the late talk shows with James Whale etc

But as for daytime radio it has seriously gone off the boil. The last period of my life when i can remember anything decent in the daytime was when KISS 102 was first on in Manchester and David DUNNE and Graeme PARK were at the helm. Proper up and coming tunes.

Even Friday nights are not the same with the time change for Tongy. I know he is cheesey sometimes but he is a legend and i have studied his playlist for years.

When I am at home in the UK, I only listen to Global. But it's when I'm in the car it gets me.
I will have to get a radio that I can plug the ipod into. Bloody Halfords always has a 2 week waiting list to fit them!
I also find it frustrating that the general public settle for substandard broadcasting. TV and Radio included.
It pollutes our brains and makes the population intellectually retarded.

I will have to get a radio that I can plug the ipod into. Bloody Halfords always has a 2 week waiting list to fit them!
Why don't you get one of those iPod snap-on things that broadcasts over the radio? I've got one that does 3 frequencies. Usually, one of them is free.

Why don't you get one of those iPod snap-on things that broadcasts over the radio? I've got one that does 3 frequencies. Usually, one of them is free.

I had one of those cassette inserts with a cable on it and the thing drove me nuts as it would never work properly....so I was nervous about anthing else. So do they work ok?
What's the sound quality like?

those ipod things are useless if the radio frequencies keep changing

i know for a fact they dont work in ireland, or california

seems to work ok in the uk, but the sound quality is disappointing

why not buy a cheap mp3 cd player head unit??

launch loads of tunes, whatever on a cd, job done.

I have one of those ipod things and it works brilliant it always stays on the same channel whether Im in the south wales valleys or London or Birmingham!

Ibiza Sonica.com

Dont forget about Ibiza sonica radio on the internet, the best music 24 hours a day!

Bloody Halfords always has a 2 week waiting list to fit them

Fit yourself ? the hardest part is getting it out the dash if you do not have the correct "key`s" The wiring is all plug and play on anything made after about 96 ish, You can get converter plugs if not , (even in Ibiza)

Have a good one
Tim

Just to add, I bought a JVC with a USB port, As well as playing music (Ipod) it charges any other USB devices, well handy

radio 1 is crap as their presenters are no longer people with musical pedigree

used to be the likes of Mark & Lard etc on there

now its Fearne Cotten et al

those ipod things are useless if the radio frequencies keep changing

i know for a fact they dont work in ireland, or california

seems to work ok in the uk, but the sound quality is disappointing

why not buy a cheap mp3 cd player head unit??

launch loads of tunes, whatever on a cd, job done.

you do some interference on those units
the UK has plenty of dead air for broadcasting which helps here tho

luckily my brand spanking new motor has an AUX in point to hook my transmitter to - crystal clear sound, charges the iPod :D

Back