Who made Ibiza?

I think in the 60s the place attracted a lot of hippies. Rich Poeple found that the combination of the beauty of the island and the chilled hippy atmosphere in certain parts made it and ideal place to buy a condo. Then came the hangers on trying to look cool. The spanish tourist board took advantage of this and promoted it as a great holiday resort. Then the party scene in the 70's that died a bit in the 80's that was reawoken in the late 80's with the uprise of house music. I suppose thats where the party scene comes from.

I'd say the biggest single thing that had the most impact on putting Ibiza on the map would be Wham's "Club Tropicana" video in 1984.

TheRedBaron said:
I'd say the biggest single thing that had the most impact on putting Ibiza on the map would be Wham's "Club Tropicana" video in 1984.

Did anyone really know it was Ibiza till many years later though?

:confused:

DrewUK said:
TheRedBaron said:

Did anyone really know it was Ibiza till many years later though?

:confused:
Good question. Whilst Wham put Ibiza on the map for alot of UK teenagers, it wasn't really until a few years later (i.e. when most people who had been into Wham had hit there 20's) that the clubbing scene really took off - which does kind of make sense.

I worked in Ibiza in 1982 ... and Ku Club was already playing godo music ... a little bar called .. The Project Bar in San Antonio, was bringing in even more funky stuff ... Remember, the early 80's there was an explosion of "modern soul" ....

Wasn't it the Summer of Love in 1988 which brought the whole superclubs and electronic music saga to Ibiza?

fusion said:
Wasn't it the Summer of Love in 1988 which brought the whole superclubs and electronic music saga to Ibiza?

It was, but it didn't just start then without any foundation. After all, Pacha's been on the go for 30 years and some of the other superclubs aren't that much more recent. The trance scene seems to have been started by hippies and so on.

I suppose the question I'm trying to find the answer to is: Why Ibiza? Why not Menorca, Majorca, Corfu, Cyprus, Crete or somewhere in mainland Spain? I know I'll never find one simple and final answer. But that doesn't stop me being interested in trying to find out and talking to as many people as possible about it.

I can't remember the exact details, but written in the little pacha mag last summer, something like, back in the 50's, German hippies went to Ibiza to avoid the fascism in their country.... At the time a lot of Spanish people used to go to Majorca on their honeymoons and word spread that there were these people in Ibiza with lots of stories to tell. From there the honeymooners would take day trips over to have a look at these people. Suppose this is how the tourism started, but that still doesn't really answer the question why Ibiza? My Geography is not the best, but maybe Ibiza is the tiniest island near enough to Germany where the peace lovers felt they would be far enough away. I'm sure Americans were mentioned around then too. They say the Ibicencan people were always welcoming to new people. They never had a lot....salt was their main form of trade and i suppose they were open to others who had other forms of trade. It goes on from there. It was by Pepe Rosillo, owner of Space and I remember it being the most interesting piece on the islands history I had ever read. Pacha will probably have a copy still if you mention the article.Good luck, keep us posted :)

nickclayton said:
I suppose the question I'm trying to find the answer to is: Why Ibiza? Why not Menorca, Majorca, Corfu, Cyprus, Crete or somewhere in mainland Spain? I know I'll never find one simple and final answer. But that doesn't stop me being interested in trying to find out and talking to as many people as possible about it.

I think there are too reasons to have a clear idea of it. But probably here are a few:
-The fact that it's an island not too small to be like an ant's nest and not too big to need too much time to reach every place by car.
-The fact that it's not too far on a plane from every country in Europe, opposite other islands like Corfu, Crete, etc. , and that it's the main Mediterranean island which is located closest to America.
-The fact that somehow (magic, calm, etc) the hippies in the 70s found Ibiza as their sanctuary. This, in turn, attracted hundreds of open-minded people in the world (gay people, naturists, jet-set clubbers, and liberal people in general).
- The big quantity of secluded coves in an island with such a small size.
-The weather, and the crystal clear beaches.
-The hospitality of their local people.

There are lots of reasons.

Back