Where you off on holiday to? (Not Ibiza edition!)

1st Feb - 2nd March - Various bits of Thailand and a couple of nights in Delhi

26th Apr - 1st May - Quick trip to Ibiza on my own

26th - 28th May - Dublin

15th - 23rd June - Ibiza for mates stag do followed by a few days holiday

17th - 20th Aug - Devon for friends wedding and a couple of nights away

Hopefully a few days in Amsterdam in October for ADE.

January - Stockholm

April - Country cottage in the Lakes

May - Log Cabin in the Scottish Highlands

June - Week with our friends at their villa in Turkey

July - Barcelona

September/October - Nepal, trekking to Everest Base Camp

November - Prague

December - Travelling around Burma

Well, as noted in my sig:

Done - Mumbai-Goa-Delhi-Agra (Jan) - Kilimanjaro-Zanzibar (Mar)

Planned - London (Apr) - London (May) - USA (May) - Euro 2012, Donetsk, Ukraine (Jun) - Dusseldorf (Jun) - KaZantip festival (Aug) - London (Sep) - IBIZA (Sep) - USA and maybe Peru (Dec)

And hopefully a quick trip to Munich next month :twisted:

January - Stockholm

April - Country cottage in the Lakes

May - Log Cabin in the Scottish Highlands

June - Week with our friends at their villa in Turkey

July - Barcelona

September/October - Nepal, trekking to Everest Base Camp

November - Prague

December - Travelling around Burma

you not going anywhere in August?!?!?:cry:

Thinking of Thailand at some point this year but will get some info from Chewie when he's back.

Oh, and London around the 15th September

:)

im back.

koh samui. fugg all to do where we stayed apart from having spa treatments every day.
bloody hot in march (pushing 40). hired a jeep with no working handbrake, and drove round the island checking out the usual touristy attractions in the rattly deathtrap 8). went to a fab restaurant called green talay. small, run by an american and his thai wifey and her best friend. simple home cooked tasty fresh food.

drove thru chaweng ( the main resort up the north of the island), reminded me of playa den bossa, despite some stunning resorts up that way, would i fly half way round the globe to stay somewher with a starbucks, burget king and kfc on my doorstep? no ta.

locals were friendly and welcoming. island itself a bit rough round the edges, but in a nice way (apart from the lack of animal welfare at some establishments).

i would defo go back again, to explore a bit and be massaged and scrubbed within a inch of my life for under a tenner (even cheaper out of hotel). left there with nice soft skin, and after 4 weeks back in the UK, the lizard legs have returned!

hated it so much we ditched bangkok and stayed for an extra 3 nights. ;)

thinking of doing another thai trip around jan time, which isnt as hot in the day.

Gone already:

Les Deux Alpes
Saalbach Hinterglemm
Barcelona

To come:

Weekend after next - Limerick, Ireland for a wedding
2-7 May - Tenegrief - first bit of sun for the summer

Late August onwards - who knows. I might be having a little break from working, so if the missus can get the time off work we might venture further afield....

im back.

koh samui. fugg all to do where we stayed apart from having spa treatments every day.
bloody hot in march (pushing 40). hired a jeep with no working handbrake, and drove round the island checking out the usual touristy attractions in the rattly deathtrap 8). went to a fab restaurant called green talay. small, run by an american and his thai wifey and her best friend. simple home cooked tasty fresh food.

drove thru chaweng ( the main resort up the north of the island), reminded me of playa den bossa, despite some stunning resorts up that way, would i fly half way round the globe to stay somewher with a starbucks, burget king and kfc on my doorstep? no ta.

locals were friendly and welcoming. island itself a bit rough round the edges, but in a nice way (apart from the lack of animal welfare at some establishments).

i would defo go back again, to explore a bit and be massaged and scrubbed within a inch of my life for under a tenner (even cheaper out of hotel). left there with nice soft skin, and after 4 weeks back in the UK, the lizard legs have returned!

hated it so much we ditched bangkok and stayed for an extra 3 nights. ;)

thinking of doing another thai trip around jan time, which isnt as hot in the day.

Chaweng = bloody awful.

we didn't stop. it looked like a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Chaweng strip is what it is mate but the north end of the beach is lovely, as is right down the southern tip. Did you get to Sound Club at all? Had some wicked nights in there with guests like Marco Bailey, sandy Rivera, Sander k etc and the resident DJ A is a good friend of mine...

Did you go down to Bophut, Choengmon, Crystal Cove beaches?

You just need to get off the beaten track a bit in Samui and avoid Chaweng unless you want to get hammered. :D

I loved Thailand. Its gone into my top 3 places to go to.

Bangkok was everything i expected it to be - huge, hot, busy, sleazy, fast paced and bloody good fun. Also a real contradiction at times. New skyscrapers and malls / watts and really old neighbourhoods. Brothels, titty bars and endless old fat men with young girls (and boys) / great culture, museums and monuments. Really friendly people / constant sense of simmering criminality in the air.

Koh Samui was everything Chewie said (and lovely for it)

Koh Phangan was ok but full moon party was pretty awful in the main with the odd oasis of what i'd imagined it would be.

Chiang Mai was brilliant and the time i spent at the elephant nature park (a charity where elephants abused in logging and working as tourist attractions) are rehomed, nursed back to health and are then allowed to live out their time) is possibly the most amazing, awe inspiring thing i've done and (i'm not too manly to admit it) was quite emotional.

Add in the fact that the food is great (from the most expensive resort to smallest roadside cart), accomodation is brilliant value for money at all level and in the main people are lovely - its a winner.

I loved Thailand. Its gone into my top 3 places to go to.

Bangkok was everything i expected it to be - huge, hot, busy, sleazy, fast paced and bloody good fun. Also a real contradiction at times. New skyscrapers and malls / watts and really old neighbourhoods. Brothels, titty bars and endless old fat men with young girls (and boys) / great culture, museums and monuments. Really friendly people / constant sense of simmering criminality in the air.

Koh Samui was everything Chewie said (and lovely for it)

Koh Phangan was ok but full moon party was pretty awful in the main with the odd oasis of what i'd imagined it would be.

Chiang Mai was brilliant and the time i spent at the elephant nature park (a charity where elephants abused in logging and working as tourist attractions) are rehomed, nursed back to health and are then allowed to live out their time) is possibly the most amazing, awe inspiring thing i've done and (i'm not too manly to admit it) was quite emotional.

Add in the fact that the food is great (from the most expensive resort to smallest roadside cart), accomodation is brilliant value for money at all level and in the main people are lovely - its a winner.

If you felt that in bangkok then don't go to manilla, it's bigger, busier and i found it really threatening felt quite exposed a few times.

If you felt that in bangkok then don't go to manilla, it's bigger, busier and i found it really threatening felt quite exposed a few times.

Didn't mean that in a bad way or that i felt something terrible was ever going to happen, just that i got a feeling there was always a whiff of the dodgy going on in the background. (though this could have been shrimp paste)

It kind of added to the fun.

Advice on Manilla noted though. Was it scary enough to put yo off going back or not as bad as that?

/

This one? http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm

We spent time there when we were travelling, and completely agree that it is totally amazing/inspiring/emotional, we still talk about it today. Did you get to meet Lek while you were there?

/

This one? http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/index.htm

We spent time there when we were travelling, and completely agree that it is totally amazing/inspiring/emotional, we still talk about it today. Did you get to meet Lek while you were there?

Yep. That's the one. I met Lek. A really amazing woman, doing good things in difficult circumstances, particularly with some Thais attitudes to what females should be doing.

I shed a sly tear when i left (don't worry, i told people i'd got something in my eye)

I also provided a good meal for most of northern thailands mosquito population while i was there, but thats another story.

Chaweng strip is what it is mate but the north end of the beach is lovely, as is right down the southern tip. Did you get to Sound Club at all? Had some wicked nights in there with guests like Marco Bailey, sandy Rivera, Sander k etc and the resident DJ A is a good friend of mine...

Did you go down to Bophut, Choengmon, Crystal Cove beaches?

You just need to get off the beaten track a bit in Samui and avoid Chaweng unless you want to get hammered. :D

Avoided the above as we wanted a holiday of proper sit on yr arse do nothing kinda trip. Plus our hotel was right on the SW tip of the Island and was a bit isolated. Took around 60mins to drive from there to the NE tip.

I didnt think much of the temple side of things. I knew before going not to expect much. and I wasnt disappointed :lol:

Did stop by the Dog and Cat Sanctuary, got greeted in the Cat house by 40 of the mogs all giving us their best 'take me home' look, while the dogs were running riot outside.

btw: photos here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djchewie/collections/72157629775267933/

8)

Didn't mean that in a bad way or that i felt something terrible was ever going to happen, just that i got a feeling there was always a whiff of the dodgy going on in the background. (though this could have been shrimp paste)

It kind of added to the fun.

Advice on Manilla noted though. Was it scary enough to put yo off going back or not as bad as that?

Well i've been twice and would be in no rush to return, also spent some time in angeles city which is built around an old U.S air force base and have no desire to return there either.It was kind of a weird mixture of people left over from the vietnam war and sex tourists. I had dinner one night in the v.f.w ( veterens of foreign war club) and it was one of the most surreal experiences i've had.I was going to be working out there for an american who had his own visa company but once i heard that a couple of his former asscoiates had been shot i couldn't get out quick enough.

I'm going to Croatia for a week in Aug, Lopud Island (Lafodia Hotel) - google it, it's wicked! Proper chilled holiday with the missus.

I'm going to Croatia for a week in Aug, Lopud Island (Lafodia Hotel) - google it, it's wicked! Proper chilled holiday with the missus.

I'd have a bit of this with pleasure ...

imgServizi2-big.jpg

Back