Where the Premier League's players come from?

Morbyd

Really interesting interactive map from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/8182090.stm

Very much reminds me of what's happened in the NBA and NHL over the past couple of decades, although the comparatively limited geography of basketball (Europe, Australia, China) and hockey (Europe and former USSR) means the foreign invasion of those top leagues hasn't been as complete as with the Premier League...

I say let the market decide, but I don't have quite the emotional investment in seeing more English players coming up through the ranks.

Any limits are artificial, and would likely run afoul of EU laws, but there should be some encouragement to strike a balance. I think UEFA took a decent compromise step with its home grown players rule.

I say let the market decide, but I don't have quite the emotional investment in seeing more English players coming up through the ranks.

Any limits are artificial, and would likely run afoul of EU laws, but there should be some encouragement to strike a balance. I think UEFA took a decent compromise step with its home grown players rule.

^ truth ^

the danger of protectionism is that the game would see a severe depletion in quality. Nobody suggests that other industries should exclude foreign workers so why should football be any different? The onus is on local footballers and academies alike to raise their game... rather than impose artificial quotas.

Hmmm, lets kick racism out of football by limiting the amount of foreigners a team can field. End of discussion really journos....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back