whats a life worth these days?

I disagree, I followed this case a little. It was proved that he was not texting at the time of the crash... and the person he killed was drunk, spun on the motorway. and his car was facing sideways. After getting safely to the hard shoulder, he returned to his car to get his phone. And it was while leaning into his, sideways (un-lit) motor, Lord Ahmed hit him.

IMO its the drunk driver he killed thats to blame.

yeah, but it's a labour peer and he ain't white. this ticks so many boxes.

easiest smear campaign going.

TBH, if he had been concentrating fully at 60mph he would have had time to see stationary car and react accordingly, I think there is an element of contributarty neglegence on his part.

TBH, if he had been concentrating fully at 60mph he would have had time to see stationary car and react accordingly, I think there is an element of contributarty neglegence on his part.
He sent his last text 2 minutes before impact.
If it takes him 2 minutes to react, he should be in the hospital for an exam, not jail!

A senior copper saying he would have struggled to avoid the crash. Sorry, I can't find it in text, it was from the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.

A senior copper saying he would have struggled to avoid the crash. Sorry, I can't find it in text, it was from the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2.

that said...if it was dark... and the road was badly lit then maybe not, it would be on you fairly sharpish. out of interest though, how do they know exact time of impact?

We've adone it, however the Police are starting to take this 'phone use on the move' very seriously!
I know 2/3 punters who've had points recently!

It does appear very different to that Lorry Driver who ploughed into the back of a stationary car in traffic recently, while using sat nat on a lap top! They threw the book at him! Quite rightly!

Same subject matter though really! Has made think about it recently!

If this was anyone else and not a friend of this crap government, they'd have locked them up and thrown away the key under any amount of charges. He even pleaded guilty FFS. Bet he'll have a few more palms to grease in the near future, 12 weeks was hardly enough if I'm honest.

Interesting to see that someone caught speeding the other day on his motorbike (huge BBC interest although no-one died) got put away for six months and a driving ban.

the road safety lot have made a bit of a d1ck of themselves on this one - the texting had nothing to do with the crash - i think the judge agreed there was nothing he could do and the texting had nothing to do with it

not to say texting when driving is good, do him for that by all means, but 'text driver causes crash' is just a headline for spaz people to read in the sun

Back