What to do with your holiday money and the urgent papers

Aye I used to withdraw on it when I first go it, but the Nationwide debit card gives almost the same rate (mastercard trade rate for clarity, visa trade rate for the debit card) and also means not having log on and pay off the withdrawals straight away.

Makes life so much less stressful not having to worry about a grand sitting in your room.
I used to have a Flex Account about 15/20 years ago, I used to mention to people that I used cash machines abroad (fee free)with it and they didn't believe me. Off they went to get their travellers cheques.

Whats best method of payment in Ibiza these days? Halifax or cash? Have always taken cash, no storys of being frauded using cards in clubs? I know taxis are cash...

Also honestly people, read up and buy a pacsafe. Save all the hassle of hotel room safes and beach problems, chain it up anywhere thats secure

One more to add... always withdraw and pay in EUROS. This way the card issuer does the conversion, and you get a much better rate than if the machine/retailer does the conversion.
yep, sorry i forgot to add.

And linked to that, if offered contactless then dont let them handle your card, they may/will process it with conversion without you realising.

Always check the card reader screen or insist on chip 'n' pin.

Someone I know ( :rolleyes: ) got caught out with this last week in a Restaurant in Ibiza Town.

Whats best method of payment in Ibiza these days? Halifax or cash? Have always taken cash, no storys of being frauded using cards in clubs? I know taxis are cash...
I tend to do a mixture of both, depends how the night is going.

Small bars and restaurants, Taxis = cash

Larger places ie clubs, supermarket = card

I like to leave at least enough money in my pocket to get a Taxi home, 50 euros or so

I've never used card in a club. Do the staff mind? As it obviously takes a bit longer than just handing over cash

?
All these stories about pickpockets in ibiza are looking strange to me.
I'm a regular since 25 years, have been wasted in club or afters thousands times more than the majority here, and never had a problem...
Am I the luckiest guy here?
?
Ibiza virgin?

That's what I do as well, Nationwide also do a credit card that has no fee for card payments abroad (Select Credit Card)

+1 for this - wholesale rates on euro purchases too I always use it if I pay abroad or buy online in Euros.

Also honestly people, read up and buy a pacsafe. Save all the hassle of hotel room safes and beach problems, chain it up anywhere thats secure
Can pacsafes be cut with cutters? My sons room was broken into. Man seen on camera with metal bar breaking into room, metal on case was cut as thieves couldn’t break the pacsafe lock. They took everything of value. The boys didn’t unpack because they had designer clothes and trainers....thieving gits knew exactly what to take!!! They took all his money, he activated the safe which was bolted down by one bolt and you could move it around so they locked everything in suitcase. Best of all his friend had his complete suitcase and hand luggage taken so he lost everything, they wheeled right off with it. They stayed in one of the 5 star hotels in Playa d’en Bossa which proves no matter where you stay you’re not safe!
I am reading as much as I can find about crime in Ibiza and have to say it’s alarming. I went years ago 93, 95 & 96. Never had anything like this happen and felt fairly safe. I dare say with the big hotels now attracting so much money its also attracting much more crime.
Safe place for valuables? Don’t think there is one. Possibly hotel reception safe if they’ll allow it.

Can pacsafes be cut with cutters? My sons room was broken into. Man seen on camera with metal bar breaking into room, metal on case was cut as thieves couldn’t break the pacsafe lock. They took everything of value. The boys didn’t unpack because they had designer clothes and trainers....thieving gits knew exactly what to take!!! They took all his money, he activated the safe which was bolted down by one bolt and you could move it around so they locked everything in suitcase. Best of all his friend had his complete suitcase and hand luggage taken so he lost everything, they wheeled right off with it. They stayed in one of the 5 star hotels in Playa d’en Bossa which proves no matter where you stay you’re not safe!
I am reading as much as I can find about crime in Ibiza and have to say it’s alarming. I went years ago 93, 95 & 96. Never had anything like this happen and felt fairly safe. I dare say with the big hotels now attracting so much money its also attracting much more crime.
Safe place for valuables? Don’t think there is one. Possibly hotel reception safe if they’ll allow it.
I’d be fuming if I were you

Please name the hotel !!

Is it a PdB Thing ? I read a lot of this area here with Things like this .
Possibly.i think you’ve gotta be careful everywhere but it does seem PdB is targeted quite a bit. People we know said their son had money stolen from room last year, they were staying in Jet apartments. This year also another friends daughter had her phone and cards stolen and my cousins girl took her Havanas off and someone took them. You can’t put anything down or leave anything anywhere. As for money I think you’ve gotta take cash and cards and split it up and hide it everywhere, that way if the buggers come they won’t get it all!!!!!!!! Shame as in the end people will find other safer places to go on holiday to party. The police should do a lot more I think to catch these criminals and to help keep tourists safe.

Last edited:
I think if they really wanted to then I would say yes and they would find away with bolt cutters. It protects against petty theft by throwing the scent off because of all the aggro to get into the pacsafe. Safe at reception could also easily be an inside job, nothing is safe in all honesty.

So unlucky it really is

No idea how you could just walk into HRH and rob someones room, security is quite strict about who gets in. You also need a room key to activate the lift otherwise it doesn't move

Back