What to do with your holiday money and the urgent papers

Possibly true, I think the worry for most or some is you have a few months/year worth of savings and you carry the whole lot or partially in cash on holiday
Maybe one shouldn't carry a few months worth of savings in cash on a holiday then?

Most ATMs are no longer free these days, but it sure beats worrying about your cash being stolen. Most places accept cards anyway, you'll probably only need cash for pills, hookers and maybe occasional parking fees.

Maybe one shouldn't carry a few months worth of savings in cash on a holiday then?

Most ATMs are no longer free these days, but it sure beats worrying about your cash being stolen. Most places accept cards anyway, you'll probably only need cash for pills, hookers and maybe occasional parking fees.

hookers can be payed by bill or paypal.

Not easy for everyone to use cards if savings are made through cash work etc. Cards aren’t always for everyone my friend.

Sure I’ve read stories of dealers whipping out card machines in the past!

Sure I’ve read stories of dealers whipping out card machines in the past!
Yes happened to a friend of mine.
“I only want a couple of tickets”
‘Your having a bit more than that matey’
“I’ve only got enough for 2”
“ no problem here’s my card reader”
In a nutshell.

A little tip. Take an old suncream bottle unscrew top and store cash in it then screw top back on (hopes thieving bastards dont read spotlight)

You can also buy fake empty bottles (with large opening) from Amazon. This worked a treat until phones got too big to fit in the slot.

Its not a completely secure method, if someone steals your bag altogether they'd soon guess it was a fake, but it throws opportunists raking through your bag off the scent

Ok, I See. Use Safe in hotel and its ok. Its insuranced and good enough

I dont wear underpants ...

Hotel safe is best for cash because anywhere else it won't be covered by insurance (make sure cover is enough though - on most policies it is a stupidly small amount). Prepaid cards with no withdrawal fees you can use either at ATMs or in stores/restaurants are the safest though. Just leave your passports with the hotel desk if you are worried about them.

Cars are no longer safe sadly @Don Simon ? - like you I used to be quite complacent about using them as the safe refuge and as safe as a hotel but along with thefts from cars, there's an epidemic of thefts of cars themselves this year (including hire cars) that the island has never really seen before and not just high end ones. People have had soft tops cut off cars etc. too.

@gutsy I would have absolutely lost it mate. If I ever go somewhere with my sister (which is rarely) it is an utter nightmare - she loses keys and phones all the time, leaves handbag unattended on seats in a cafe while going off to the loo or to see the specials board and stuff like that. Would not get out of Ibiza Airport before being robbed. Complete opposite of me and drives me absolutely out of my mind as she never learns and just won't take even the most basic care or responsibility. Then gets all rattled when she's inconvenienced by losing stuff - I do wonder whether it's semi-deliberate in a peverse sort of way sometimes like a twisted form of masochism !

you'll probably only need cash for ... hookers ...

Funniest thing I saw was a former client "negotiating" with some hookers in Colombia to pay by US$ Travelers' Cheque after the event - they had been at the villa all night "partying", he'd got barely any actual cash and I had visions of their pimp arriving to march him to the bank, or worse, any minute :lol:. In the end we wrote his passport details on the back and they took them !!

Last edited:
I never take large sums abroad, too risky.

My Fiancé and I are both with Nationwide which allows us to withdraw cash abroad with no fee, so we just take out what we need every couple of days.

I also take my Halifax clarity credit card which allows spending in foreign currency, again with no fees. We use this for any purchases or larger bills.

Last edited:
I never take large sums abroad too risky.

I also take my Halifax clarity credit card which allows spending in foreign currency, again with no fees. We use this for any purchases or larger bills.

Boom.

Halifax Clarity all the way. I’ve even got a card for my daughter on the same account.

I even draw cash out with mine as the exchange rate is never beaten. They charge daily interest but I pay it off as I go with internet banking

Boom.

Halifax Clarity all the way. I’ve even got a card for my daughter on the same account.

I even draw cash out with mine as the exchange rate is never beaten. They charge daily interest but I pay it off as I go with internet banking
Aye I used to withdraw on it when I first got it, but the Nationwide debit card gives almost the same rate (mastercard trade rate for clarity, visa trade rate for the debit card) and also means not having log on and pay off the withdrawals straight away.

Makes life so much less stressful not having to worry about a grand sitting in your room.

Last edited:
Yep another Halifax Clarity user here. Will use that for most big purchases. Have got a Metro debit for cash withdrawals as and when they're needed. You get the spot rate which is better than buying euros. No fees or charges for either.

I guess the risks are a) losing the card(s) and b) you're not locking in a rate - so if Boris Johnson does or says something stupid whilst you're away and the pound suffers then you'll get less!

I still see that as the least risky option compared to taking hundreds of euros with you in cash.

I never take large sums abroad too risky.

My Fiancé and I are both with Nationwide which allows us to withdraw cash abroad with no fee, so we just take out what we need every couple of days.

That's what I do as well, Nationwide also do a credit card that has no fee for card payments abroad (Select Credit Card)

Summation : Safe in Hotel is relatively safe , used for 3-4 days cash , EC Card for bigger sums (Pin is relatively safe ) , Crédit cardis relatively safe : If this is stolen youwillnotget much Problems.
Passports : I have my Passport and my Reisepass( in german ).If thisis missing ist a Problem. One of them is normally at me , same with driving licence. If all missing ,ist a Problem.

The Only problem :I had a Problem with ATM one day in Ibz :All servers down ,no Money. And my EC Card ( Deutsche Bank)is not working at every ATM , dont know why. Tried 4 ATM , 2 were working. Strange.

Back