What percentage of foreign labour are W.European?

Dave 1

Excuse's if this is posted in the wrong section or indeed offends anyone:

Just out of curiosity i'm intrested in knowing what percentage of foriegn workers from Western Europe are now actually being employed on Ibiza during the Summer months. I only ask as i've notice'd over recent years a sudden influx of Polish, Slovenian, Roumanian & also Argentinian workers doing the bars & restaurants etc which before were taken up by seasonal workers from Western Europe.

Given that Spain recently announced it's unemployment was at nearly 4 million will the goverment be reverting back to it's old style of allowing Spanish people first refusal for such work if available? I must admit that i did find it strange when visiting Ibiza last year & it's certain bars & restaurants being confronted with someone who spoke pigeon English with an East European accent. Unlike when in the past the employees were mainly Spanish or that of English,German origins etc.....

Mind on saying that i have noticed a huge influx of seasonal migrant workers now spread all over the resorts of the Med....

Dave

Well, the EU is about the free movement of goods and labor, isn't it?

As full EU members, it would seem that a Czech would have the same right to work in Ibiza as a Brit.

I don't think it's necessarily new either. For example, there's a Romanian guy I've chatted with at one bar for the past 5 years.

Of course, Spanish should have right of first refusal. It is Spain.

Well if all the EU followed that idea how would black or Asian people for example feel about it?
What do you mean? By Spanish I meant citizens or legal immigrants of Spain. No reference to race.
(I'm Black and I think it's perfectly normal)

Well if all the EU followed that idea how would black or Asian people for example feel about it?

trying to work out what this means in anyway. :confused:

on the issue of western europeans in labour here, although can't see the relevance of the issue whatsoever.

always been loads of argentinians as you'd expect. the majority of the other immigrants are english and italian (especially in the port), with the odd smattering of german, dutch, french.

having worked alongside most bars, restaurants, shops in pdb, fig, ibiza town in 2008, i'd say this "influx" amounts to 3 romanians, 1 latvian, 1 czech girl, 1 russian, a few moroccans and as i said, many argentinians. obviously that is only a sample, but of the overall total, i'd say eastern european countries constitute less than a couple of % of the overall total, less probably.

Dave 1 said:
Mind on saying that i have noticed a huge influx of seasonal migrant workers now spread all over the resorts of the Med....

hasn't the med always been like that

most work in hotels anyway.underpaid and over worked.most are in gsp hotels. East Europeans non eu. like said cannot say a word of english.cheap labour if you ask me.stopping most locals and others getting jobs.

What do you mean? By Spanish I meant citizens or legal immigrants of Spain.
I really don't understand what you are trying to say when you say "Of course, Spanish should have right of first refusal. It is Spain." but are also saying that "legal or immigrants of Spain" Czechs, Brits and other people from EU countries are legal immigrants.

btw, I know you are black. I've seen your picture. My point is that if employers in the EU are encouraged to employ the local population over immigrants then black people and Asians (for example) would not fair so well in the jobs market in the EU.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say when you say "Of course, Spanish should have right of first refusal. It is Spain." but are also saying that "legal or immigrants of Spain" Czechs, Brits and other people from EU countries are legal immigrants.

btw, I know you are black. I've seen your picture. My point is that if employers in the EU are encouraged to employ the local population over immigrants then black people and Asians (for example) would not fair so well in the jobs market in the EU.

what's he's trying to say is quite clear. you've made it an issue of race when he's talking about what nationality someone is.

do you not think there are black or asian (in the racial sense) spanish nationals?? well there are, the same way liverpool has had a chinese community for 150 years and a black community for longer.

to take your point of argument, if UK employers did offer jobs just to local population, then somehow the millions of black people in the UK aren't included in that??

btw, i'm sure you don't mean any offence but the way you've packaged people off by race is pretty short sighted, especially given that you're from a country which has every race imaginable contained within the national idenity. (if i'm right in assuming you're from the UK).

You've entirely missed my point. Perhaps I muddled it a bit when I mentioned legal immigrants since any EU citizen moving across national lines is basically legal, but what I meant by that is non-EU natives who have received some sort of legal immigration status specifically to Spain.

As Grego noted, in most EU countries there are some non-ethnic-European minorities (be they Black, Asian or whatever) that are, for all intents and purposes, native. They are not immigrants but perhaps their descendants, or if they are immigrants then they've taken steps to attain citizenship.

If a country wants to give its citizens first right of refusal, I think that's got a certain amount of logic to it. It has absolutely nothing to do with race or skin color. I still fail to see why you've injected that into this discussion.

Last week I met Argentinian, Aussie and Polish non Spanish residents and most could speak better English than I am used to hearing at home.

what's he's trying to say is quite clear.
I don't think it was quite clear and he even admited later that his post was muddled. That's fair enough. I think most of us don't always make ourselves clear.
You've entirely missed my point. Perhaps I muddled it a bit
Yes well you did muddle it and I was responding to what you wrote, not what meant to say.

Back