Web hosting

Are your hosting providers the same people as your registrars?

If yes, problematic...

If not, then just go to your registrars to request the change in DNS lookup and that's it.

This reminds me... I was going to help Stu Hirst out with a new website, but never got further than a couple of layout proposals :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Lazy, oblivious me! :x

Stu... if you're here I'm ready to pick things up again - my home computer totally crashed tho, so I need you to send me those files over again!

Morbyd said:
Are your hosting providers the same people as your registrars?

If yes, problematic...

If not, then just go to your registrars to request the change in DNS lookup and that's it.

Ahah! Cool :)

These are only quick photoshop layouts but need some opinions.. what's the proper look for Stu:

...the "futuristic" clean style...

stu2.gif

or the "dirty" urban style..

stu.gif

:confused:

2nd one is better in terms of design, though I'm not sure about the navigation bar being at the bottom :confused:

Morbyd said:
2nd one is better in terms of design, though I'm not sure about the navigation bar being at the bottom :confused:

Well was trying to make things a little different... obviously the navigation needs to be visible at all times, but this can be done if I put the content into layers. :confused:

With that said the reason why it might seem a little simple is because I'm putting it into a content management system.. takes away some freedom :eek:

A friend of mine is looking to set up his own website (currently has a very basic free jobby) and is wondering who the best hosts are to go with.

Has limited knowledge on website building so looking for something that comes with a decent (easy to use) website builder, can hold pics, videos, embed YouTube / sound cloud etc
Possibly looking to have a mini store / one with the ability to sell things via the site.

We've both looked on google but have no idea what's best in terms of what he needs.

Preferably looking for a pay monthly one as opposed to having to sign a 12month deal.

Anyone know of any cheap / reliable hosts?
Are godaddy still considered good?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. :)

A friend of mine is looking to set up his own website (currently has a very basic free jobby) and is wondering who the best hosts are to go with.

Has limited knowledge on website building so looking for something that comes with a decent (easy to use) website builder, can hold pics, videos, embed YouTube / sound cloud etc
Possibly looking to have a mini store / one with the ability to sell things via the site.

We've both looked on google but have no idea what's best in terms of what he needs.

Preferably looking for a pay monthly one as opposed to having to sign a 12month deal.

Anyone know of any cheap / reliable hosts?
Are godaddy still considered good?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. :)

There are thousands of hosts. If he is in Europe, I would go with shared hosting with a company called ezpzhosting.co.uk. Ive used them for lots of stuff and they are very solid when it comes to shared hosting.

So basically that means they will give you web space and you can do whatever you like with it.

Godaddy and the other american guys are great if you live in australia, asia or the usa, but the latency speed back to europe is not so great so try and avoid them if you can.

It sounds like ezpz may be a good solution for your friend. it is very cheap and they do monthly hosting rates as opposed to 12 months… but seriously its so cheap you are better off just buying 12 months.

your friend should use something like wordpress. it will do all the things you have mentioned and it is one of the easiest ones to use. ezpz has the tools to install wordpress with one click when you sign up.

good luck.

There are thousands of hosts. If he is in Europe, I would go with shared hosting with a company called ezpzhosting.co.uk. Ive used them for lots of stuff and they are very solid when it comes to shared hosting.

So basically that means they will give you web space and you can do whatever you like with it.

Godaddy and the other american guys are great if you live in australia, asia or the usa, but the latency speed back to europe is not so great so try and avoid them if you can.

It sounds like ezpz may be a good solution for your friend. it is very cheap and they do monthly hosting rates as opposed to 12 months… but seriously its so cheap you are better off just buying 12 months.

your friend should use something like wordpress. it will do all the things you have mentioned and it is one of the easiest ones to use. ezpz has the tools to install wordpress with one click when you sign up.

good luck.

Above is good advise.

If you want to sell you will need to have a secure and safe payment system.

Worldpay is a well priced online payment gateway. £20pm plus they take a small commission on your sales.

good luck.
I use Godaddy and haven't noticed any big problems with latency.

Wordpress blogging software is great. You can use and host it on their site, but you can also download the software and incorporate it into your own website. And if you learn just a little bit of php and css programming, you can really adapt it to look like you want it to. I use it as a front end to the rest of the website as opposed to just a blog.

I use Godaddy and haven't noticed any big problems with latency.

Wordpress blogging software is great. You can use and host it on their site, but you can also download the software and incorporate it into your own website. And if you learn just a little bit of php and css programming, you can really adapt it to look like you want it to. I use it as a front end to the rest of the website as opposed to just a blog.

im in love with wordpress.
i used to be a big joomla fan but i find wordpress has more of what i want these days. and its a lot zippier.

I am against GoDaddy since they joined the bandwagon for SOPA and I was one of the thousands that transferred my domains also hehehehee :)

http://rt.com/usa/news/support-sopa-daddy-web-037/

I find Goggle Blogger great as it incorporated many of the Google add ons and services without the need for css as its has many advanced dynamic styles and layouts that are easy to change and user friendly. Also I find the content system easy to use and interface with the whole google experience cloud/documents/translations/word processing etc

Back