We Love...Space Opening Party 13th June

Alfonse

After a long cold winter in the UK we had been counting down the days for months to get back to Ibiza and out on the terrace with We Love…easily our favourite night on the island. Last year we were lucky enough to be there for Funkagenda's awesome set on the Sunset Terraza and so could not believe our luck he was playing the opening party.

After arriving at about 5.30 we were nicely surprised to see a queue forming and plenty of people already inside. My long term favourite island resident Jason Bye played a great warm up set starting with some nice deep house to get everyone in the mood before picking up the bpm's and generating lots of smiling faces as the dancefloor got full around 7ish.

Alfredo was up next and as I have said in the past I am really not a fan. The man is clearly an Ibizan institution and deserves to have a spot on the roster but how about up on the Premier Etage or in the El Salon where he could be more appreciated? Like lots of other Space fans we wait all year to spend a precious few hours dancing in the sunshine on the terrace and there are so many more new DJs who would kill to smash that floor and give everyone what they want. Unfortunately, Alfredo's eclectic sets just don't work on the Sunset Terraza and killed the vibe Jason Bye had built up.

We decided not to let it get to us down though and went upstairs onto the Premier Etage for a natter safe in the knowledge that Funkagenda would come on at 10pm. Having raved about his set last year on the forums and telling everyone I could in Space how great it was going to be I was a bit nervous, however he absolutely SMASHED it once again.

The energy and enthusiasm he has behind the decks is just amazing! Combine this with the quality of the tunes and all the loops and acapellas he plays and it makes for an awesome clubbing experience. There were too many standout tunes to mention but my favourite aspect of his set has to be all the classic acapellas and snippets of tunes he throws in. He closed with the Chemicals Brothers Swoon track which was made for the terrace IMO before his remake of Rock the Casbah sent everyone away singing with the massive grins on their faces.

That is what the terrace is all about. Great tunes, happy people and good times. Long may it continue! I went up to have a chat with him at the end to say thank you and he comes across as a really nice guy. July 11th is his birthday and I'm already seeing if I can pull together some funds to make it out for it…:D

I forgot to add to the review that once the terrace closed we headed up to the red box where Jem Haynes and the crew were playing some quality house music. Spent a good few hours in there dancing away and after the sunset terrace it is fast becoming my favourite room in space.

I cant imagine Funkagenda on the Premier Etage. I thought it was more of a chill area? I always head there with my first drink and sit in the sun for a while.

I cant imagine Funkagenda on the Premier Etage. I thought it was more of a chill area? I always head there with my first drink and sit in the sun for a while.

Hi. Sorry I think you misinterpreted the review. We went up to the premier stage for an hour to wait for funkagenda to come on downstairs on the sunset terrazza. Agreed he would have been out of place upstairs!

Hi. Sorry I think you misinterpreted the review. We went up to the premier stage for an hour to wait for funkagenda to come on downstairs on the sunset terrazza. Agreed he would have been out of place upstairs!

THank you for putting much more elequently what I have said in other posts. (apparently Alfredo IS Ibiza and i have committed heresy)

Alfredo took the pace/ mood out of the terrace for us too. We also went upstairs for an hour or so, although it wasnt much better to be honest.

THank you for putting much more elequently what I have said in other posts. (apparently Alfredo IS Ibiza and i have committed heresy)

Alfredo took the pace/ mood out of the terrace for us too. We also went upstairs for an hour or so, although it wasnt much better to be honest.

No problem, I agree. I actually quite like the music he plays but just not on the Sunset Terraza...it should be house, house, a bit of techno and then some more house IMO!! :D

His eclectic sets are nice but I think would be more suitable for other rooms in Space. Check out the Beach Sessions mix he did for Azuli last year, it is great and I still listen to it now but just not when I want to dance in the sunshine!

May i ask what kind of tunes Funkagenda plays at his sets at Space ???

Hey. Too many to remember unfortunately but as you can probably imagine lots of his own productions and stuff from the Toolroom camp. He manages to keep it housey whilst also being quite techy at the same time. The standout track for me was Swoon by the Chemical Brothers. He looped the vocal breakdown around what sounded like one of his own productions. Worked a treat!

Check out a free mix of his the We Love guys are hosting on their webstie. Should give you a good idea of his set:

http://www.welove-music.com/we-love-DJs/Funkagenda

No problem, I agree. I actually quite like the music he plays but just not on the Sunset Terraza...it should be house, house, a bit of techno and then some more house IMO!! :D

His eclectic sets are nice but I think would be more suitable for other rooms in Space. Check out the Beach Sessions mix he did for Azuli last year, it is great and I still listen to it now but just not when I want to dance in the sunshine!

i agree. there's a time and a place for alfredo. and it isnt 8-10pm on the terrace!

Back