WARNING / AWARENESS - Electronic Theft in Playa D'en Bossa from Locked Car!

I'm just waiting for the day theives can enter your room electronically and ransac the safe - electronically. I never take anything of real value (watches, expensive phones etc) so the biggest worry is if they nick my passport and all the hassle that would cause, especially if at the end of a trip.

I'm just waiting for the day theives can enter your room electronically and ransac the safe - electronically. I never take anything of real value (watches, expensive phones etc) so the biggest worry is if they nick my passport and all the hassle that would cause, especially if at the end of a trip.
What is the procedure when you lose a passport on holiday.? I always have a photocopy with me JIC. I’m presuming you can’t get home without one?

I do take with me a copy of the passport so I have the number - it's also on my mail account if that gets lost too. Hopefully insurace would cover the extra cost of getting the emergency documents, what worries me is if you have to go to the local embassy or consulate, there is one in Ibiza afaik but opening hours are limited, not good if you have to fly home next day.

On a side issue, looking at the size of the stamps on the passport (in/out) I reckon after 48 trips the pages will be full and a new passport required. They don't do additional pages any more it seems. 48 trips might seem a lot at first glance, but anyone who travels frequently - say 8 trips/year, will find they have to renew their passport after six years, not ten. So another Brexit Added Cost.

Maybe something has changed, but I don't think the British consulate has been open since the pandemic started.

Certainly an email to them earlier this summer went unanswered, not even redirected to Palma.

Oh, but I did get an automated reply a fortnight later, asking me to rate my experience. Very helpful

What is the procedure when you lose a passport on holiday.? I always have a photocopy with me JIC. I’m presuming you can’t get home without one?
In the past friends have lost them and although a blag, they've been issued with some form of documentation from th3 consulate to get back.

Due to my wife or friends booking various holidays and sharing pictures of passports , I do not think it would that hard to get a picture of ours. I have a hard copy of my mother' s for when she travels.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the loss, but stuff like this happens, thanks for reminding us.

I still keep my baggage in the trunk on the day of arrival/departure, but I have nothing of value there anyway. If someone steals my dirty socks, shampoo or replacement pants, so be it. There is too much hassle/cost to store the baggage at a secure location.

I use a bicycle lock to cuff my baggage inside the trunk though, so you cannot simply pull it out even if you manage to open the trunk.

Luckily, being an EU citizen, I don't have to worry about the passport. We also have national ID cards (good for travel too), I take both on my trips, so if my passport gets stolen, I can still travel using the ID card (and vice versa).

Sorry to hear about the loss, but stuff like this happens, thanks for reminding us.

I still keep my baggage in the trunk on the day of arrival/departure, but I have nothing of value there anyway. If someone steals my dirty socks, shampoo or replacement pants, so be it. There is too much hassle/cost to store the baggage at a secure location.

I use a bicycle lock to cuff my baggage inside the trunk though, so you cannot simply pull it out even if you manage to open the trunk.

Luckily, being an EU citizen, I don't have to worry about the passport. We also have national ID cards (good for travel too), I take both on my trips, so if my passport gets stolen, I can still travel using the ID card (and vice versa).
That is something we need in the UK. If our passport gets stolen there's no alternative; if you have credit cards one can be left in the safe and the other carried with you, so there's back up. Not so with passports, and I can't understand why the UK has gone backwards to passports/stamps and not forwards with ID cards, of which you could have several (?).

Wonder if a positive witht he ETIAS would be that we could have chipped ID cards, and our entry/exit logged, and we could have more than one (so if one gets lost or stolen, it could be cancelled but the remaining one still valid).

That is something we need in the UK. If our passport gets stolen there's no alternative; if you have credit cards one can be left in the safe and the other carried with you, so there's back up. Not so with passports, and I can't understand why the UK has gone backwards to passports/stamps and not forwards with ID cards, of which you could have several (?).

Wonder if a positive witht he ETIAS would be that we could have chipped ID cards, and our entry/exit logged, and we could have more than one (so if one gets lost or stolen, it could be cancelled but the remaining one still valid).
ID cards? I can hear the Daily Mail getting furious already…..

Didn't we spend millions trying to design one and it all fell to pieces 🤔

Bit of Googling...

50 million people in the uk have a driving licence. There’s never a need for an ID card, it does not help anyone and erodes freedom.
You could say that about a passport. In the UK we can get about without photo ID, but try driving, going on a flight, even getting a bank account....so i will argue that rather than eroding our freedom, ID cards (in some form) give us freedom!!

Admittedly there are some places I might go to where if they asked for ID I'd turn round and walk away!!!

A carrier bag of cleaning products (!) went missing from my old car in sussex and we reported it to a sympethetic wpc although it was a bit cringe.. i guess it helps them map crimewaves. A guy tried to mug us on the metro here which was a darker experience and a friend did get her bag taken in a bar but the cops aren't that interested in hurtos and anything under 400€. Which is why there is a lot of apathy. Have never had any probs in ibz cos you're using generic hire cars coated in dust which hardly stand out

Back