vicky christina barcelona (no spoilers)

Olly

No longer active
watched it yesterday.

hmmm......... liked certain aspects, stylish, some funny exchanges, beautiful promo for Barcelona and wicked soundtrack if like me, you love your Paco de Lucia, but the plot, oh dear, just a bit ludicrous really - and some of the stereotypes were excruciating

the film reminded me slightly of French Kiss, except this film could've done with someone comic like Kevin Kline in the lead male role - too slow-paced at times and a weak conclusion. Bardem cannot act in English. Fact. Scarlett's character never really develops. A real shame if, like me, you thought she was ace in Lost In Translation.

it all got a tad chick-flick for my tastes too but I guess that was inevitable

save the DVD for bleak tuesday nights when you fancy some light escapism

6/10

Not a bad way to waste time on a three hour flight, which is exactly where i saw it. 6/10 is about right.

I wanted to see this, thought the story sounded quite good.....but that was a magazines verdict. May check it out on a Orange Weds 8)

watched it yesterday.

hmmm......... liked certain aspects, stylish, some funny exchanges, beautiful promo for Barcelona and wicked soundtrack if like me, you love your Paco de Lucia, but the plot, oh dear, just a bit ludicrous really - and some of the stereotypes were excruciating

the film reminded me slightly of French Kiss, except this film could've done with someone comic like Kevin Kline in the lead male role - too slow-paced at times and a weak conclusion. Bardem cannot act in English. Fact. Scarlett's character never really develops. A real shame if, like me, you thought she was ace in Lost In Translation.

it all got a tad chick-flick for my tastes too but I guess that was inevitable

save the DVD for bleak tuesday nights when you fancy some light escapism

6/10

It's an awfull film!!!
The Barcelona thing is totally fake, nobody who knows the city will belive any bit of film.
THe story is very weak and there's no conclusion.

Scarlet trying to become a prof photographer and shoting with a reflex throught the screen? :rolleyes:

Penelope is more or less fine cos she is in the role of a histercial woman, which looks like the only role she can do.

Bardem is hot

It's an awfull film!!!
The Barcelona thing is totally fake, nobody who knows the city will belive any bit of film.

that is very true. The pijo lifestyle in Pedralbes is hardly representative of Barcelona :lol: I bet Catalan audiences were groaning in the same way Londoners winced at Notting Hill

I bumped into Woody Allen in Barcelona in 2007. His was with his daughter / wife, which as how we recognised him. My missus spoke to him and said he was miserable but polite. (Following my recent Adeva story - this is number 18 in a series of 100 MARKB's minor celeb encounters):lol:

I liked it, think Penelope Cruz deserves all the awards she's getting. (Even if she's better in Almodovar films)

Shame Woody Allen hasn't had the same success in directing as he had in acting. I think Annie Hall is one of the funniest films ever.

Shame Woody Allen hasn't had the same success in directing as he had in acting. I think Annie Hall is one of the funniest films ever.

Are you having a laugh mate? Woody Allen is know for his directing more than anything! Annie Hall is probably the best film he has ever directed!

It's an awfull film!!!
THe story is very weak and there's no conclusion.

Scarlet trying to become a prof photographer and shoting with a reflex throught the screen? :rolleyes:

Penelope is more or less fine cos she is in the role of a histercial woman, which looks like the only role she can do.

Bardem is hot

Hello Sil! 8)

I have a feeling Pilchard would say the same so i don't think I'll be allowed to watch this one. ;)

Tapas, Cerveza, Sagrada Familia, Ole! :lol:

I really want to see Marley and Me, am reading the book at the moment and I cant put it down. Wondering if the film will be as good.....or how they will fit it all in.

Hello Sil! 8)

I have a feeling Pilchard would say the same so i don't think I'll be allowed to watch this one. ;)

Tapas, Cerveza, Sagrada Familia, Ole! :lol:

Hola Rob :D

I'm sure Pilchard will agree with me. HOnestly it's an horrible film with a very weak story.
Well, I think the fact that I watched in the plane back from Buenos Aires, in a tinny winny screen AND doubled into mexican didn't help too much :lol: but you can live without seeing Bardem meeting the brunete one in Paseo de los Tilos, where all the football players live :rolleyes:

I love Woody Allen as a public figure, but I've never been a big fan of his films. IMO is a bit pretentious to make a film about a city's life where you have never lived and you are actully staying in a 5* hotel :rolleyes:

it's interesting reading your views Silvia because your reaction is pretty similar to the groans that greeted 'Notting Hill' when it came out in London - ie overstylised, unrealistic, unrepresentative, glossy, blatantly packaged for the US market. I wouldn't say this film is quite as bad as you make out, although as someone who knows Barcelona extremely well, it was pretty revealing how the directors missed out vast sections of the real Barcelona - the eixample missed out pretty much altogether along with barrio chino, and basically, any of the poorer barrios, and the more cotidiana ends of town. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on the tourism market..

Back