Vertigo / labyrinthitis

MrHullMysterious

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else experiences this after a flight?

It feels like when you turn your head and stop, everything is still moving (a bit like drunk and the bedroom is spinning lol)

The last 2 return flights from ibiza, during decent/landing started to feel a bit dizzy. A few hours after returning it's pretty bad.

I don't seem to get it on outward bound flights just return, so presuming been tired, dehydrate or too much sun makes me more sensitive to it.

Weirdly last time flew back with a friend we both got it at exactly the same time, decent through clouds so couldn't see horizon.

I read that viral infection/inflammation of inner ear can cause it so possibly something from air conditioning?

Anyhow just wondering if anyone else experiences this and any good preventative measures.

Cheers

Honestly I don't think the flights are really the reason for those feelings, especially after visiting Ibiza ;)

Haha, possibly but been 11 times and only last 2 times its happened, so thinking some sort of infection or once you've had it you always will ?‍♂️

As for getting wasted, as a guide I'd do in a week what many would do in one night. So dunno. I'm sure fatigue and things have an effect lol

It's more probably sleep deprivation, have you had any "sleep paralysis" episodes since you've been back?

It's more probably sleep deprivation, have you had any "sleep paralysis" episodes since you've been back?
Nah, never ever had such things. Vivid dreams but I have those all the time when at home.

I usually wear glasses but wear contact lenses on hols. On way back switch back to glasses which results in everything been a bit off anyhow until re-adjust.

Was just strange how it triggers on decent/landing & friend got triggered same time.

I suspect you're right, sleep deprivation and partying makes you more susceptible to such things. Just strange.

Was hoping others had same thing and would say yes take xyz before flying lol

I had it last year after flying back, lasted over a week. Went to the quacks as it was quite painful in the ears and was spinning out occasionally. I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. Most likely brought on by flight pressure changes and doing a lot of snorkeling so water pressure too. Sounds weird but last two flights I've been fine, my treatment being to stick my fingers in my ears for the duration of take off and landing and it seems to have worked! I think there are ear plugs available for it too.

Back