up to date opinion of Int. school Morna?

Lila

Hi all, have been reading through all the post relating to education on Ibiza. I am currently planning to move middle of this year. I intended to send my son to the International school in the Morna Valley but would like an updated view on how things are going there....last post I read was new management had taken over and things were starting to come together...has this happened? Its very expensive not to be good. He is 10 this year so was planning to spend the last two years of his primary education in Ibiza.
Thanks for your help.
L

Have not been there in a while, But talking to a teacher a few weeks ago, The olive tree is doing great, There`s a new Headmistress (Businesses manager may be a more fitting title), Still no equipment and the teachers have to fight for classroom space, Oh and the fee`s have gone up a bit more, Other than that, Still a very overpriced playground to get rid of your kid`s during the day if you can afford it :)

Tim

Boo - that puts a serious question mark on things. Thanks for your opinion Blackswann....anyone anything else to say on this?

anyone anything good to say about Int. Morna School?

Hi a spanner has seriously been put in my plans - paying so much for a school that is reportadly so bad is making me rethink my plans of moving to ibiza at all (could home school but socially for my fella not the best option) are there any favourable opinions of the International school as I notice this topic has had a lot of views but only one response...?
Thank you
L

hi lila,

i wonder why you think you need the english school? if you are thinking of moving here, imo the best for your child would be send them to a spanish school. they will get integrated far quicker, and that is Everything for a child in a strange land.

i have friends who went to morna and very much regret not having gone to a spanish school with their local friends.

there is an excellent private school called "mestral" in ibiza town which is not nearly as expensive as morna, but has an excellent reputation. there are many international kids who go there, it is taught in spanish. the advantage of that school vs a free public school is that in mestral the lessons are not taught in catalan, rather in castellano. they have small classrooms and all kids i know that go there are very happy. costs about 400 euros per month.

i can't comment on the standards at morna, i have never been.

cheers

Sorry I did not mean to put you off, Ibiza is a great place to live and bring up your children, Have a look at the link below,Not a recommendation for the website, just a reasonable write up. http://www.ibizapropertyagents.com/news/frequently-asked-questions/education-and-childcare-in-ibiza/
I do not know it my-self but several of my friends have moved their children to the "French school" and are very happy with it,
But I also agree with James that if it is your (their) intention to go on to uni or stay in Spain for any length of time, State school is your best option, they will pick the languages up in no time:)

Have a good one
Tim

Hi all, have been reading through all the post relating to education on Ibiza. I am currently planning to move middle of this year. I intended to send my son to the International school in the Morna Valley but would like an updated view on how things are going there....last post I read was new management had taken over and things were starting to come together...has this happened? Its very expensive not to be good. He is 10 this year so was planning to spend the last two years of his primary education in Ibiza.
Thanks for your help.
L

Hi Lila,

just wondering if you have moved to ibiza or are still contemplating the options, just wondering if there are any private catholic schools on the Island?
We are strongly looking at moving in the next 6mths, with four kids under 10, schools are becoming a real stumbling block!!

all advice gratefully received!!
Fran

schools in ibiza

Hi there,

our children range in age from 7-10 years, (we have 4!!) really struggling with options, is state school going to be too difficult to integrate at this stage, bearing in mind neither parent speaks spanish?? Morna seems like the only option, but not a great rep.....

Thanks,

Fran

Hi there,

our children range in age from 7-10 years, (we have 4!!) really struggling with options, is state school going to be too difficult to integrate at this stage, bearing in mind neither parent speaks spanish?? Morna seems like the only option, but not a great rep.....

Thanks,

Fran

Hi
As your kids are all primary age they will soon integrate into the local state schools and no doubt pick up Spanish and Catalan with ease and soon be teaching you! Languages for primary age kids is natural and easy for them, so you won't need overpriced morna!
When I move over il Defo sending my daughter to state school and presently she only speaks English. The big dilemma I have is my 13yr old son.. Don't want to send him to morna but equally state school too difficult a transition wen beginning GCSE's next year. Wondering if any home school network?
;) good luck with what you choose

My 3 children aged 4, 6 & 7 all started at Morna 3 weeks ago. I am really very pleased with our decision to send them there. I think the point to be made here is that all the schools mentioned are probably very good. We viewed Mestral and the French as well as Morna. But I think whats right for one person may not be for another! If you can visit the schools I think it will really help you work out what is best for you. And although Morna is taught in English, my 6 year old only has one other English girl in her class of 20.
Good luck with your decision, it was for me the hardest part of moving here so I know how you must feel.
Another thing to consider is if the schools have a place for your child. That was another thing we struggled with.
All the best x

My 3 children aged 4, 6 & 7 all started at Morna 3 weeks ago. I am really very pleased with our decision to send them there. I think the point to be made here is that all the schools mentioned are probably very good. We viewed Mestral and the French as well as Morna. But I think whats right for one person may not be for another! If you can visit the schools I think it will really help you work out what is best for you. And although Morna is taught in English, my 6 year old only has one other English girl in her class of 20.
Good luck with your decision, it was for me the hardest part of moving here so I know how you must feel.
Another thing to consider is if the schools have a place for your child. That was another thing we struggled with.
All the best x

Sounds great ;)
Do you know the current fees for year 9 students ?
I've emailed Morna but not heard from them yet and no fees are given on their website
Thanks ;)
Hope your move has gone well and you enjoy living in Ibiza :) whereabouts have you settled? :)

Spanish language?

I keep hearing very mixed reviews of Morna...but my big question is do the kids there learn Spanish properly? The school secretary told me that they all have to learn to GCSE level, but I don't consider that really learning a language. I have an A grade in GCSE French and I can't speak more than a few sentences now...Anyone have any experience with this?

I keep hearing very mixed reviews of Morna...but my big question is do the kids there learn Spanish properly? The school secretary told me that they all have to learn to GCSE level, but I don't consider that really learning a language. I have an A grade in GCSE French and I can't speak more than a few sentences now...Anyone have any experience with this?

if they are young, like under 8 or 9, the problem isn't so much will they learn spanish as will they learn english....as a majority of kids going to the school now are locals who send their kids there to learn english.

for english or non-spanish speaking kids, it's impossible to avoid learning it in the playground.

IMO if you have kids in ibiza and they don't speak fluent spanish within 2-3 years, you've got it wrong pretty badly. they can easily join sports teams/clubs. obviously if they are over the age of 8 or 9, then it's more difficult, under that age and there's no excuse.

morna is a good school, but unless your kids are 10+, i honestly don't see why you would to send your kids there, especially given you have to pay for it.

almost inevitably, morna ends up being the option for english or ex-pats who are too lazy or too scared of the alternatives but have the cash to pay for this school.

my kids have need a few hours english a week on top of everything else they are doing and they're fine.

My plans were seriously halted with the demise of the winter flights but now if (fingers crossed) BA are doing them I am going have to do some serious planning....
I have discounted Morna, partly because of the bad reviews and partly because of the huge fees.
I feel I have a year to play with for my two (11 and 3) as neither will be in a crucial year in education terms and I am happy to do some work with them myself. Then after a year I will see how things are going and make more long term plans.
Another big stumbling block I am coming up against is that the school year starts mid Sept but it seems nigh on impossibe to rent a long term until at least mid Oct and to get a place in a local school you have to know where you are going to live! agghh.:spank: any help on this?
As an alternative to a state school I was also looking at Escuela Mestral in Ibiza town does anyone know the fee structure, at least (if there are places) you can enroll there as its private. It looks like a great school, does anyone have any experience of it?

Buses to Santa Gertrudis, transport to school?

Hello all

Just wondering if there are any buses from Santa Eularia to Santa Gertrudis? Have tried to research this but cannot find any info. For older children/teenagers travelling to Morna school, do they have to rely on parents for the school run?

Any info you can pass on would be great.

Kaz

Back