UK Clubs closing at an alarming rate

We'll be back in fields with impromptu sound systems and keeping a look out for the old bill within the next decade! Writing is on the wall for clubbing as our generation knows it.

I think this is also referring to your sharon and tracey style clubs as well though, in my town we have gone from 5 clubs, non of which credible dance music clubs to 1, reason being is that you can go to Weatherspoons which is now open until 3am, and have a drink and dance to chart music for a fraction of the price.

I really cant see how these ritzy, cinderella etc style clubs can still exist, most of which only stay open until 3am anyway, so why would you go when most bars in town centres stay open until that time now anyway

I think the above certainly plays a part. But what I am most concerned about is the rapid increase in residential developments we are seeing in our town & city's High Streets. Both new builds and old retail units being converted.

Residents versus nightclub = only 1 winner = residents

We haven't actually seen any new decent clubs open in London for a while either, every thing seems to be warehouse events, this the last major one was Pulse a few years back in Waterloo, which had some big names for its opening period, including Loco Dice and Carl Cox, but then it just disappeared, I don't even know if its open any more.. it wasn't that great anyway!

Phonox opens next month. But that's just Plan B rebranded under new management.

Same with Studio 338. Relatively "new" in it's current incarnation, but previously traded under different names.

There is one good club in Dundee and there are two old disused jute mills which have been derelict for years in close proximity that have been earmarked for residential development. I used to live over the road and some of my neighbours there were already trying to organise to have the place closed.

Phonox opens next month. But that's just Plan B rebranded under new management.

Same with Studio 338. Relatively "new" in it's current incarnation, but previously traded under different names.

Lots of the venues I liked the look of in London (e.g. Cable) are gone and won't come back.
It makes me ponder... are we getting to the point where club nights are going to be in the bigger cities only? That the smaller towns just won't have anything.

Quite shocked at this in birmingham it is buzzing at the scene.

Digbeth, you have rainbow warehouse(free entry frpm 4pm -10pm). Lab11 next door, blackbox.

Loco dice, seth troxler, eats everything, mk, hannah wants, waff, hector cueto,played recently.

Then you got local events like glas, MADE, Dave rave. Which is house/techno

I dont bother with broad st now. Usual pubs/bars i.e walkabout etc.

Save for the rave

Lots of people like warehouse raves. But I find them quite ghastly tbh. Mainly operated by people who have no love for the scene, and are in it to earn a quick buck at the expense of clubber.

Warehouse parties are on the decline in London & the South East now after a few notable incidents. One in particular - mulletover Halloween I think it was - put London's clubbers off.

Worth pointing out that there are regional differences though a la WHP Manchester - who I very much respect as promoters.

Reactions: Liv
You probabley wouldnt believe this but out of all those djs ive listed my highest ticket price was £10. Get the early birds and your laughing

Patrick topping is playing august 30th and the starting price for that is £8

Dusky playing in october 5 hour set, £8 starting price aswell

Quite impressed to be honest

I've often said that we are stung for ticket prices in the South East compared to the rest of the country. In line with anything else really.

A standard club event in London with one prominent headliner will be £20 on the door minimum.

When Music On rolled into town in April final release tickets were £75 plus booking fees & delivery charges!

(and then consider that once the event sold out that tickets - and many of them fakes or duplicates - were trading hands at above & beyond their face value)

But people will pay it. And so they will continue to rise.

Yep. Like you say, the only way you are going to stop the greed is by not turning up. Not just clubbing, football prices a very good example too

Yep. Like you say, the only way you are going to stop the greed is by not turning up. Not just clubbing, football prices a very good example too

It's not always greed though. Sometimes the prices are dictated by the cost of headliners and venue hire

It's not always greed though. Sometimes the prices are dictated by the cost of headliners and venue hire
This has been going on for years ... I sometimes wonder if the headliner costs kills the club after a while; anyone remember bed in Sheffield ? What a venue !! I believe one of the reasons it shut was a problem with the drains under the venue and with the massive headliner fees it was much cheaper to shut!
I remember talk then about clubbing venues shutting fast inc gatecrasher not long after (burn down)

My clubbing haunts

Crasher/Gatecrasher 1 Passion/The Emporium,
Inside out/Pressue/The Arches,
Golden/The Void
Renaissance/Media
Moneypennys
Godskitchen/Air or Code

All Shut as far as I I know now.

I am all Booked and heading to Creams closing party October... Probably opening new venue in 2016 in time for birthdays post summer.

Passion being kept alive by JFK and lufbra university.

My clubbing haunts

Crasher/Gatecrasher 1 Passion/The Emporium,
Inside out/Pressue/The Arches,
Golden/The Void
Renaissance/Media
Moneypennys
Godskitchen/Air or Code

All Shut as far as I I know now.

I am all Booked and heading to Creams closing party October... Probably opening new venue in 2016 in time for birthdays post summer.

Passion being kept alive by JFK and lufbra university.

There's a rumour of a reopening of the Emporium, but it's just a rumour at the moment. Seeing will be believing.
I think headliner costs can kill a club night. There's this widening gap (in trance anyway) between affordable DJs who have no real pull and the big guys who do have the pull, but have the ability to bankrupt your night if something goes wrong

I've got hotels booked for all 3 events. 17th is looking like it'll be a more classic lineup with Oakey, Seb & Jon PW all hinting they'll be on it.

Back