Twitter, is it better than facebook?

They've moved them further down in that column, but now they show all upcoming events instead of just one or two.
(I find that function rather useful myself!)

I'm afraid to say that this digital/web 2.0 bollocks is the future.

Anyone that says 'I don't like twitter' is getting old.

We'll all be like a bunch of mardi Grandmas fiddling around with video plus in a few years! :lol:

There's a kids version of second life (I forget the name) along with a virtual community for young whippersnappers called Habbo.

Also ad agencies aren't going down the tired TV route any more - integrated approaches and viral campaigns (using blogs/twitter etc) appear to be the way forward.

They're even teaching primary school kids to twitter as part of the curriculum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/mar/25/primary-schools-twitter-curriculum

Like it or not, it's time to give way for the next generation! Not like it was in our day eh? :lol:

I disagree, Rob.

There's progress, and there's overkill. Facebook was progress, in my humble (but correct) opinion, in that it simplified keeping contact with a broad range of categories of people in your life. Surely, some use it to provide perhaps just a little bit too much information (ahem, jj :lol:) but it serves its purpose.

When you get to the point that you've got to share with the world 140-character scraps of text all day long, it's just gone too far. This connectedness becomes stifling. It's overkill, I tell you!

I cant find events anymore......or birthdays? Its just disappeared.

I relied on the birthday thing just incase I had forgotten someone important bday :lol:

Emma - really, dont worry - my birthday isnt til August and I will remind you waaaay before then...;)

I disagree, Rob.

There's progress, and there's overkill. Facebook was progress, in my humble (but correct) opinion, in that it simplified keeping contact with a broad range of categories of people in your life. Surely, some use it to provide perhaps just a little bit too much information (ahem, jj :lol:) but it serves its purpose.

When you get to the point that you've got to share with the world 140-character scraps of text all day long, it's just gone too far. This connectedness becomes stifling. It's overkill, I tell you!

I agree. Some peoples statuses really do make me think WTF, in fact there is a new way of removing peoples statuses from your minifeed thing so you dont have to read them all the time.

The thing I like about FB is it keeps you in touch with people you may not always see. I know people say you can do that on the phone but who really picks up the phone to talk these days I know I dont. I just like it as a way of arranging things and seeing what people are up to - in a non stalkerish way :lol::lol:

Absolute nonsense.

Glad i left and deleted every single piece of my Facebook last summer before any of the changes to it.

Bad luck to everyone still on it who's info is now being sold all over the place and open to inspection by the government at their will.

I agree. Some peoples statuses really do make me think WTF, in fact there is a new way of removing peoples statuses from your minifeed thing so you dont have to read them all the time.

The thing I like about FB is it keeps you in touch with people you may not always see. I know people say you can do that on the phone but who really picks up the phone to talk these days I know I dont. I just like it as a way of arranging things and seeing what people are up to - in a non stalkerish way :lol::lol:

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you both at all - I think it's a load of old codswallop as well (but have a feeling it may creep into my routine more and more.)

All I'm saying is that multi million pound ad spends can't be wrong.

We didn't even had the internet (or mobile phones) when we grew up - the next generation is extremely tech savvy and will soon dominate. Devolution...? yes probably but you could say that about mobile phones.

Remember when it was really controversial to use them on buses and everyone used to think it was 'ridiculous' to need to phone your better half to tell them 'you were on the way home' or 'stuck in traffic'?

I don't see that this is worlds away from that...and I repeat - I'M NOT AN ADVOCATE FOR THIS STUPID TWITTER THING EITHER. ;)

We didn't even had the internet (or mobile phones) when we grew up - the next generation is extremely tech savvy and will soon dominate. Devolution...? yes probably but you could say that about mobile phones.

In my day....
we had computers that required a requisite amount of brain power to be able to operate/program to make the sodding thing work. nowadays, theyre so damn user friendly. point click. point click. not exactly rocket science is it.

we may have future nation of twitters, who cant string a sentence together, spell properly when required, whose idea of a cooked meal is a microwaved "baked potato + beans".

it'z coz im old... innit.

Personally i think the status update on facebook should be deleted who wants to know whether someone ''just got in from work'' or ''is having a busy day'' I've deleted at least 20 people off facebook for boring updates like this.

Just delete yourslef off Facebook, you'll feel much better for it and get to laugh at all the clowns still on it ;)

I'm afraid to say that this digital/web 2.0 bollocks is the future.

Anyone that says 'I don't like twitter' is getting old.

We'll all be like a bunch of mardi Grandmas fiddling around with video plus in a few years! :lol:

There's a kids version of second life (I forget the name) along with a virtual community for young whippersnappers called Habbo.

Also ad agencies aren't going down the tired TV route any more - integrated approaches and viral campaigns (using blogs/twitter etc) appear to be the way forward.

They're even teaching primary school kids to twitter as part of the curriculum.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/mar/25/primary-schools-twitter-curriculum

Like it or not, it's time to give way for the next generation! Not like it was in our day eh? :lol:

I have 3 very tech-savvy representatives of the "next" generation in my home, ranging in age from 18 to 4 (he is amazing with anything techy - scary:eek:) and none of them are into Twitter, in fact the eldest finds it totally irritating- Not sure what that means, just stating things from my limited experience...

Just delete yourslef off Facebook, you'll feel much better for it and get to laugh at all the clowns still on it ;)

I did actually delete it for a few weeks as it was doing my head in but i gave in fbooks demands:oops:

Hmnn... I do like being cool and groovy, so maybe I will do it. i just can't keep up with twitter and facebook

now to find some friends... ;)

This argument would work if we were people that eschewed technology, but I stay pretty much on the bleeding edge and have been since my formative years!... I have a house full of gadgets. I could program computers back when the Pet Shop Boys sang about programming computers. I was using things like BBSes and FIDONet in the 1980s, and moved on to the Internet back when people used to type in text commands.

In other words, I'm tech savvy, and I keep up with the times. So this old fogey argument doesn't work with me.

And Twitter is still a waste of time & space :p

I think you've got to be selective in your technology. There's so much stuff out there, on both the hardware and software side, that people get into just because it's there and it seems cool. When you step back from the hype, you realize that some things are just unnecessary!

All that said, I do find it amazing that my little pocket-sized smartphone has 2048 times more RAM than my first computer did :!:

Back