TV Boxsets

Been watching The Curse on Channel 4. Really good, plenty of laughs and the ever lovely Emer Kenny so job's a good 'un! :)

That was pretty interesting, and scary.

I thought it was very well done. I couldn't help casting my mind back to 'wild, wild country' in how rural, conservative folk were really hostile to a hippy cult moving in & opting out, but in many ways this lot are not so far removed. The worship of god n guns is just as culty as worshipping charlatan spiritual leaders.

I thought it was very well done. I couldn't help casting my mind back to 'wild, wild country' in how rural, conservative folk were really hostile to a hippy cult moving in & opting out, but in many ways this lot are not so far removed. The worship of god n guns is just as culty as worshipping charlatan spiritual leaders.
f***ing hell. These morons are on the other side of the state from us and beyond delusional. I'll post more up tomorrow as it's after midnight

watched Woodstock 99 on Netflix the other night. amazing telly. essentially lord of the flies with the worst fratboys you could imagine (probably all senior GOP/Trump advisers now). as someone who regularly moans about too much control at music events, this was very much the flip side of the coin... the absolute apocalypse where idiocy, trash and greed all converged in a fireball of hell.

2 x espionage thrillers, 2 x utter loads of guff you'll never get back: Treason and Slow Horses - avoid them both. Beyond terrible

Severance (Apple TV) exceptional. Britt Lower scene-stealing. Adam Scott, who I usually find insufferable, highly likeable. Christopher Walken at his weird best. Milchick surely partly inspired by Peep Show's Alan Johnson? Great score, great writing, great direction. Best thing I've seen in years. Looking forward to season two. Even the opening credits are nightmarish in the best way

Last edited:
^ ^
Should probably be in the book thread, but....
I'm reading Mick Herron's Slow Horses at the moment, pretty good I'm thinking.
It's often the case that the book is superior to the film or TV version.

a few mostly recent Youtube bits i found interesting/entertaining

Fyre fraud guy on the very good ‘Diary of a CEO’ (is he really reformed - or playing us?)

How much do container ships really know about their cargo..? hmm

cops v E producers on Dutch farms

And this hilarious old classic, which might be my fave standup ever

^ ^
Should probably be in the book thread, but....
I'm reading Mick Herron's Slow Horses at the moment, pretty good I'm thinking.
It's often the case that the book is superior to the film or TV version.
I’m up to date with all the Slow Horses books. I really enjoyed the Apple adaptation. Can see that it probably appeals more to fans of the book. Not a typical example of the genre it sits in.
Managed one episode of Treason and won’t be watching any more.

We started watching The Missing S1 last night; seen it before but it’s so good.
I can’t unsee Nesbitt’s sad mouth though.

We started watching The Missing S1 last night; seen it before but it’s so good.
I can’t unsee Nesbitt’s sad mouth though.
One of the best things I’ve seen.

Started Women at War or Les Combattantes, for the French on the forum,
on Netflix last night, Tchéky Karyo is in it. Superb so far.

watched Waco on Netflix last night. Very well produced although I thought it was a bit light on the analysis eg how could a woman can get so brainwashed she saw nothing wrong with 10 year old girls having sex with a category A psychopath ?! I remember being gripped by the standoff night after night on the news when I was at college. Whether the Feds could've done better we'll never know but it seemed they didn't help themselves at times. It could easily happen again because vast sections of red state god n guns America are in their heads at war with the government.

Back