TV Boxsets

I know the hype is ridiculous but "Squid Games" is epically good. Finished it last night. The acting*, cinematography and suspense are brilliant all the way through. Not for the squeamish though!

*apart from 4 certain characters late on, you'll know what I mean!

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but I’m intrigued to see what this is like.

I actually received a phone call from my youngest daughters school teacher last week.

Apparently she’d been overheard in class telling her fellow pupils all about Squid Games in all the gory detail.

I remember her telling me she had been watching it on Netflix and I thought it was a cartoon or something 🤦‍♂️

Fcuk sake lol.

netflix is very occasional for me if there's a decent original production. I don't wade through the options as it takes ages and how many things about aliens or mexican cartels can you really take?

IMO probably the best thing to watch on Netflix is Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. (I was late to the AB party.) Think I just have a couple left to go when I get Netflix back. :(

I know the hype is ridiculous but "Squid Games" is epically good. Finished it last night. The acting*, cinematography and suspense are brilliant all the way through. Not for the squeamish though!

*apart from 4 certain characters late on, you'll know what I mean!

It is excellent. *There was an interesting feature in the Guardian yesterday about the actors who played "those certain characters" who appear later in the series. I won't link it so as to avoid any spoilers for anyone, but it's well worth searching out.

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but I’m intrigued to see what this is like.

I actually received a phone call from my youngest daughters school teacher last week.

Apparently she’d been overheard in class telling her fellow pupils all about Squid Games in all the gory detail.

I remember her telling me she had been watching it on Netflix and I thought it was a cartoon or something 🤦‍♂️

Fcuk sake lol.
I've watched it and was a little underwhelmed. Although tbf I figured out what the underlying premise and twist was in ep2 🤷‍♂️

Worth a watch though

Afraid to read the last few posts incase there is squid game spoilers because I havnt started it yet.

Should I watch it with dub titles or dubbed?

People are telling me differently.
I'm not a fast reader lol

Afraid to read the last few posts incase there is squid game spoilers because I havnt started it yet.

Should I watch it with dub titles or dubbed?

People are telling me differently.
I'm not a fast reader lol
I watched it dubbed as i find taking it all in with subtitles pretty hard... the voices did my head in for an episode or 2 but got used to it and was fine.

The dubbing is pretty funny, gave the old guy character an asian twang in english and gave one character who is Pakistani an Indian accent and is actually Indian, whilst the rest are all American (i think).

spent much of the wkd immersed in "Get Back" like half the internet. Personally I thought it brilliantly directed, inspirational, moving and funny at times. Even the duller bits were necessary to give a real feel for what it was like. Watching the songs come to fruition was pure wow.

(strictly for the fans though, casual viewers will quickly get bored)

On a related note, this thread is one of the funniest things I've read this year. So good

Just finished the 3rd season of Narcos Mexico.

Reading up on the real life story is even more insane than the film.

Great viewing imho.

Last edited:
Just finished the 3rd season of Narcos Mexico.

Reading up on the real life story is even more insane than the film.

Great viewing inho.

Really enjoyed both Narcos & Narcos Mexico. Wish we could get some more with the actors as I've thought they were all really good

Finished Yellowjackets last night. I'd highly recommend it.

Also watched the 1st episode of Louis Theroux's Forbidden America. That has to be the best (and most unsettling) hour of TV I've seen in a while.

Finished Yellowjackets last night. I'd highly recommend it.

Also watched the 1st episode of Louis Theroux's Forbidden America. That has to be the best (and most unsettling) hour of TV I've seen in a while.

I might watch it but think I'm done in with freaks and wackos. We used to watch Theroux and Baron Cohen to laugh at these people and now they all seem so normal. Once they've reached the highest offices in the land then where does tv go next with this? where is the value other than clickbait? I think Theroux is self-aware and I don't think it's necessarily his fault but surely this kind of tv can never have the same impact now?

I might watch it but think I'm done in with freaks and wackos. We used to watch Theroux and Baron Cohen to laugh at these people and now they all seem so normal. Once they've reached the highest offices in the land then where does tv go next with this? where is the value other than clickbait? I think Theroux is self-aware and I don't think it's necessarily his fault but surely this kind of tv can never have the same impact now?

I mean, I'm aware of the American far right, but I think I got something new from the documentary or at the very least it underlined a few points. The stuff around live streaming was interesting - it's very much as if there's an incentive to broadcast even more extreme opinions and content to get more likes and more money, and one of the guys is actually out on the street provoking people from minority groups... These ***** are extremely unpleasant, and that doesn't seem to be a barrier to a potential political career. It's also quite interesting because Louis is forced out of his comfort zone and gets a bit more confrontational.

The programme did seem to emphasise a link with gamer culture - something worth being alert to if you have teenage kids who won't get off the Xbox.

I mean, I'm aware of the American far right, but I think I got something new from the documentary or at the very least it underlined a few points. The stuff around live streaming was interesting - it's very much as if there's an incentive to broadcast even more extreme opinions and content to get more likes and more money, and one of the guys is actually out on the street provoking people from minority groups... These ***** are extremely unpleasant, and that doesn't seem to be a barrier to a potential political career. It's also quite interesting because Louis is forced out of his comfort zone and gets a bit more confrontational.

The programme did seem to emphasise a link with gamer culture - something worth being alert to if you have teenage kids who won't get off the Xbox.

in a similar vein, this is well worth a watch too. people not just hating the feds but actually creating their own state within a state.

in a similar vein, this is well worth a watch too. people not just hating the feds but actually creating their own state within a state.

I will watch that later.

This is another good one on the subject of QAnon. You come away with the impression that there are some very rich white men cynically manipulating (shall we say) less well educated and/or traumatised people. It's very interesting, even if the presenter doesn't quite have the skills of Louis Theroux in getting subjects to drop their guard, or at least not for long.

Back