Turnmills closing down..

All such a blur now..the rampling 'retirement', easter faith, bez/mani and misdemeanours immediately spring to mind. The funniest one was smartie partie when we went to the wrong pier (was supposed to be on the muak boat) and got the s.p. one instead. Fun & games at the 'mills afterwds. I still sometimes miss those big weekenders and the three kings in Clerkwl but would probably recognise nothing now!

The Gallery nights were the first London events I went to and loved them. Went a few times later to the ministry Gallery but it was never as good. Very happy times at turnmills and for the trancey-er side of dance nothing in London has come close. Always thought as an aside that trance didn’t fit London though that well, much better in good honest northern industrial working class town.

The Gallery nights were the first London events I went to and loved them. Went a few times later to the ministry Gallery but it was never as good. Very happy times at turnmills and for the trancey-er side of dance nothing in London has come close. Always thought as an aside that trance didn’t fit London though that well, much better in good honest northern industrial working class town.

the UK-based australians and south africans loved it (and hard house too). generally it was never a trance city apart from graham gold doing peach and one or two other things. London and the north were very different in the 90s. The North just had fun whereas London exuded cool or attitude. Obviously that was reflected at the parties. there's no right or wrong answers here. that tension and clash of cultures made imo for a very exciting overall music scene.

the UK-based australians and south africans loved it (and hard house too). generally it was never a trance city apart from graham gold doing peach and one or two other things. London and the north were very different in the 90s. The North just had fun whereas London exuded cool or attitude. Obviously that was reflected at the parties. there's no right or wrong answers here. that tension and clash of cultures made imo for a very exciting overall music scene.

The scale of drug use among Aussies, Kiwis and South Africans in those days was remarkable. A may have mentioned a Kiwi girl I went home from Turnmills with before, who brought me to an event at Brixton Academy the next night (possibly Heat) which seemed like a consumption competition. I wasn't a stranger to people getting on it, at all, but this was 'one louder'

Oblivion in Clapham on a Sunday afternoon was another full-on end of weekend full of those guys and gals and they yet all seemed to hold down decent jobs. Indestructible youth I guess

In my youth Dance Anthems on Radio 2 on a Sunday evening was like the gospel...Turnmills (Along with the likes of Gotskitchen, Gatcrasher)

????

What I wouldn't do for a good GK \ GC night when it's all over!
My first ever “proper” clubbing experience was at GK’s Code in Birmingham. 2002/2003 I drank far too much Stella and can remember nothing. Did an NYE there too when I was driving and stone cold sober- never quite hit the happy medium!

Back