Turmoil at the Bridge

No I was just using Bogarde as an example of someone sitting around earning money for doing nothing.

I think a lot has been learned from those mistakes too.

I know that they have spread their youth catchment net out into sunny old Essex and using ex Ham coaches/scouts etc to lure some of the youngsters their way and away from us.

Fergie was almost out the door but won the FA cup. Think he went 5 or 6 years before he won something.

Wenger seems to be able to do pretty much what he pleases but he won't get away with potential and building forever. Especially if they lose out on a champ league place.

he could have, but he clashed with Roman. only one winner in that outcome.

plus there are only 5 trophies up for grabs each season. he cant expect chelsea to win everything

but that's my point.

morbs will defend roman till the bitter end (that's his job) but he should have done everything to keep hold of mourinho.

Another problem is, there aren't a lot of Fergies and Wengers out there. I mean guys who have settled in to their clubs and are long term. Maybe Moyes and O'Neill in England, Ancelloti in Italy. Can't think of others off the top of my head.

but don't you see, the reason why there aren't many fergies and wengers is because owners like your man roman give people the bullet after 2 minutes.

there are plenty of managers capable of building truly successful football empires, but when you have chairmen and owners who are ready to fire the same people they hire after the slightest hiccup, then you've got no chance.

but don't you see, the reason why there aren't many fergies and wengers is because owners like your man roman give people the bullet after 2 minutes.

there are plenty of managers capable of building truly successful football empires, but when you have chairmen and owners who are ready to fire the same people they hire after the slightest hiccup, then you've got no chance.
I agree with you about 50%, and I think that's a product of the nature of football today. People like Wenger and Fergie are already established, but it's hard for newer guys to get there if the results aren't there (a couple of exceptions noted above)

But on the other hand, when you're looking at the top caliber coaches, a lot of them want to come in and do the job for a few years and then move on. Try Italy, try Spain, try a national team.

Take Mourinho... I personally don't think he would have stuck around for a decade. Of course, we'll never know...

it's not just Roman though, old thaksin was quick to give sven the bullet after our best ever prem season!! look at the league now and 2 teams in particular that are starting to come into their own, Everton & Villa, whats the common denominator? The managers have been allowed time to bed in and build a good team, which is what I believe given time, sparky will do at City, the reality is that because of our foreign owners he probably wont and if we dont start moving up that table and have a good run in the UEFA cup he will be gone come summer, and even if we do acheive the latter, there's no guarantees, either way he must be sweating like a Muscovite journalist!!!

Winston Bogarde :lol::lol::lol::lol:

he DID play at Barca and was 5hit

question for me is when abramovich will get bored of it all. He's taken a hit in the financial crisis and his patience with the club must be sorely tested now.

all academic anyway

Barca/Utd are the only 2 sides in Europe worthy of the top prize this year

The managers have been allowed time to bed in and build a good team, which is what I believe given time, sparky will do at City, the reality is that because of our foreign owners he probably wont
This is a myth perpetuated by your often-nationalistic (or maybe better to say myopic) media that it's only the foreign owners with itchy trigger fingers. In the past couple of years, I'd point to Newcastle, Blackburn, Spurs... I'm sure there are plenty of examples in the lower leagues.

Also a myth that giving any manager "time to bed" will always result in eventual success. Think Southgate.

Last edited by a moderator:
question for me is when abramovich will get bored of it all. He's taken a hit in the financial crisis and his patience with the club must be sorely tested now.
This supposed "hit" is only on paper. Only makes a difference if he sells his industrial holdings. Doesn't affect his cash position.

It's like if you have a house that's lost value. You haven't lost actual money, just maybe some net worth, which is a theoretical number anyway. The money you have in the bank is sill there. (well, I suppose it depends on the bank these days! :lol:)

This is a myth perpetuated by your often-nationalistic (or maybe better to say myopic) that it's only the foreign owners with itchy trigger fingers. In the past couple of years, I'd point to Newcastle, Blackburn, Spurs... I'm sure there are plenty of examples in the lower leagues.

Also a myth that giving any manager "time to bed" will always result in eventual success. Think Southgate.

sorry I should have elaborated for you and attached "with high/unrealistic expectations" to foreign owners!!

Winston Bogarde :lol::lol::lol::lol:

he DID play at Barca and was 5hit

Barca/Utd are the only 2 sides in Europe worthy of the top prize this year

They would have been better off with Dirk.

Barca have played the best football by far this season but don't always work out that way

Back