Travelling, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos

dantboy

Hi guys i'm off travelling in January and was looking for some advice as i'm sure a few spotlighters will have some good info. Basically the main one i'm looking for are what jabs to get? I've been to my GP and she's given me a loads of leaflets about what jabs etc. to take, and for me to go back and tell her what i want to get. What jabs would you recommend? Also what course of malaria tablets would you advise?

On another note what are the must do's and must don'ts in this region of the world??

Any advice is welcomed : )

I thailand we didnt need malaria tablets as we were in bangkok or on islands not affected.
Jab wise i cant remember but one of them really hurt! was like getting a dead arm from your big brother and it lasted days!

I think you'd want to get a yellow fever jab. Maybe hepatitis if you're a little more paranoid.
You'll probably want to take malaria tabs with you. Malarone is definitely the one you want.

If you tell the Dr the areas you are travelling to they can normally advise of what you will need / recommend to have. My Dr sat there and read through travel notes and told me what things i will need to have etc - cannot for the life of me remember what i had, because i think i was vacinated from previous holidays. I could warble on about thailand, but it really depends on what you are after, so to speak....but there have been other thailand threads kicking about this forum 8)

It's more for Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos i'm concerned about as they are less geared up for tourism, unlike Thailand. Malorone has popped up a few times when i've been talking about it to people, isn't that the one that you take once a day? Will probably only take that if i'm going off the beaten track. I've heard a bad story about Dangue Fever but can't seem to find anything about getting vaccinated for it, has anybody heard anything about this?

Yeah if u can get rabies jab I would, there were ALOT of very dodgy looking dogs who def wouldn't want to get in a tussle with

The rabies jab doesn't prevent you from getting rabies though. Depending on the cost of them all I might get it.

We got Malaria jab and should have got rabies. Malaria for Cambodia and Laos definitely and Koh Chang in Thailand if you go there. We were too late for getting Rabies treatment and the Mrs got scratched by a cat in Bangkok. Cost a fortune and wasted a lot of time getting treatment there.

Check the Centre for Disease Control site - probably one of the best :

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/laos.htm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/cambodia.htm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/thailand.htm

Obviously if you are going to come into any sort of "close physical contact" out there then make sure you take very good precautions and as a cert have Hep B vaccinations. One thing where prevention is very much better than treatment / attempted cure. Tetanus is a must. Cholera only if you're going really rural and basic (it hurts like sh!t and only lasts for 3 months ... we used to pay a doctor to certify we'd had it in Africa - pretty much avoided with proper hygiene and water management - see below).

There's no vaccine available for Dengue Fever and no effective vaccine for Malaria either. You have to take preventive measures as best you can. But the Japanese Encephalitis ones - a series of 3 I think - are worth it.

I don't think any of the countries you are going to are Yellow Fever zones. However, the (alarmingly expensive) jab lasts 10 years (it's a live vaccine so has to be done at one of a number of approved centres) so if you're going to be travelling then it's quite good to have anyway. You must have it at least 10 days before entering a risk zone and can't have any other jabs for some time around it if I remember right. So if the urge takes you to go somewhere very exotic at short notice and your vaccination isn't current, forget it - you won't get entry to the relevant country without a certificate.

Most important thing is to follow the "staying healthy during your trip" advice on those pages .. it's all good advice. I lived for nearly 20 years on a continent with cholera, yellow fever, malaria etc and the best thing possible is to avoid getting insect bites in the first place and be extremely vigilant with your food / water. Take plenty of sanitizing wipes too and use them. They are really effective, easy to carry, cool you off and as a bonus can be used to wipe your bum properly if you get caught short miles from a loo. Nothing worse than trying to find a substitute for soggy bog roll and putting your hand on a vine snake by mistake ;)

I'll probably get completely bashed by the "really green bregade" for this but ... you're only going out there for a short time and with little or no natural antibodies / resistance from childhood exposure to a number of things. So ..... I'd strongly suggest packing a large bottle of this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1P5ZCB0BHEB3FJG0GRFA

... and also pre-treating your clothes with this, which is brilliant stuff. I use it whenever I go to the tropics .. it's extremely effective against insects and the worst I've some back with is flu caught on the blooming plane !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nomad-Bugpr...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1352842996&sr=1-1

I also take loads of extra out there in the suitcase and spray bedding/nets wherever possible. Have even used a combo of both the above to spray a strip along the bottom of sliding doors to patios / entrance to rooms where creepy crawlies come in and it zaps the lot. If there is a mosquito net then check it for holes and use it... and always keep doors shut at night if there's a light on in the room. My first exercise on checking in to a room in outlying areas in the tropics is to rid it of any obvious insects by getting them out of the door in daylight - or manually squishing them if they won't go or if it's dusk/dawn/night-time (especially odd-looking tiny hornets etc) and then treating the whole place as above. Not very ecologically sensitive, but you have to put your own health and safety first.

If you're a smoker - enjoy. Mosquitos hate cigarette smoke. They'll hide away until you stop then hone in on the CO2 trail from your breath, especially when the pattern resembles slumber or you are sat still and calm (watching TV for example). They are able to detect the patterns so if all else fails use a dozy mate as a "lure" :lol:.

For a non-tropical veteran (and mostly for those too) - proper shoes, proper socks, long trousers anywhere off the beach (or if you wear shorts / short-sleeved shirts then for heavens' sake use Deet), long sleeves and proper technical fabrics to keep you cool in those conditions and avoid wanting to expose skin in the heat unnecessarily. Really, the poison toads etc are all easy enough to manage. Ribbit. It's the little things you hardly see which pose the biggest problem - and often unseen risk !

Then just pack plenty of Dioralyte, Imodium Plus, Water Purifying tablets and these if you hate the taste of treated water and you'll be as prepared as the next "explorer" :

http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/W...n=GoogleBase&gclid=CPaR2Zz7zLMCFcrItAodFAsAUQ

Oh ... and start getting your jabs now. Some of them are multiple sessions (Rabies / Japanese Encephalitis) and sometimes you can't have jabs simultaneously so it takes a whole load of planning to get them all in. When you've decided what you want do some internet research and construct a timeline .. it can take a while to get an appointment for some jabs too !

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries. Here's a photo of one of those little vine snake fellas hiding out on a Ginger plant, which I took in Central America ... to feed the imagination ;) :

598448_424374807629177_1655313962_n.jpg

No worries. Here's a photo of one of those little vine snake fellas hiding out on a Ginger plant, which I took in Central America ... to feed the imagination ;) :

I don't know which I feel sorrier for in that incident - you or the snake.

Snakes I could handle. Potentially rabid dogs I'd rather stay well away from, like in a (mostly) rabies-free country well away.

Thanks for the info. Did you have malarone?

The whole country of Laos excluding Vientiane is a high risk area for Malaria. Had to take it while we were there and then I think for a bit afterwards. Make sure you take the whole course. I've tried to see what I took while I was there but can't find it, I think it was Malarone though. Just check with your doctor.

Make sure you go tubing in Vang Vieng. Totally touristy but one of the most fun days of my life (and messiest) be careful though.

PS Well jealous, have a mint time :)

Would never change as a person just because i've been travelling. I did find however after my first summer in Ibiza people got slightly annoyed because I kept going "ahh when I was in Ibiza......" i've found myself biting my tongue after this summer haha. Could talk about it forever I think.

Really looking forward to seeing some weird creatures and animals, will probably learn to regret saying this. You say the tubing was messy? what sort of messy?

One other question is whats the score with smoking joints in the above countries? I've heard Thailand is a big no no......

i believe you can buy mushroom shakes etc but tripping is defo not up my street. all i'm bothered about is having a nice smoke on the beach nothing else :)

Back