Trains: London To Edinburgh?

Buckley

Embarassingly, it's 15 years since I had to book and pay for a train for myself and I'm struggling:oops:. I'm off to a stag do in Edinburgh the second week in May but the rest of the party are travelling from Manchester and I'm meeting them there.

It appears there are a number of different providers - is there a site that collects them all?

(Beers owed to whoever works as my temp P.A.!:lol:)

I did this very journey a few weekends back - think it took about 5 hours

the only 2 things I really remember were

1. the amazing close up view of the sea as you hurtle through northumbria
2. the hyper-intense army cadet who sat next to me at Darlington and talked non-stop for 2 hours about his excitement at going to afghanistan

I did this very journey a few weekends back - think it took about 5 hours

the only 2 things I really remember were

1. the amazing close up view of the sea as you hurtle through northumbria
2. the hyper-intense army cadet who sat next to me at Darlington and talked non-stop for 2 hours about his excitement at going to afghanistan

How much did it cost you Ollster?

70 rtn on the trainline site, 2nd class up, 1st class virgin pendolino rtn via west coast - I did book sometime in advance, so a fare like that might be unrealistic at this stage

70 rtn on the trainline site, 2nd class up, 1st class virgin pendolino rtn via west coast - I did book sometime in advance, so a fare like that might be unrealistic at this stage

Cheers - I'm not going until 7th May, so I'll have a look

Hello Buckers, key with train tickets and this is useless to you now, is to bag the cheap ones that come out 9 weeks prior to travel. The tickeline website above enables you set an alert & get them cheap. I rarely pay more than 25 quid for an economy & you can usually at the weekend uprade for 15 quid to 1st (albeit no booze or food, just leg room and no working class people;)).

Hello Buckers, key with train tickets and this is useless to you now, is to bag the cheap ones that come out 9 weeks prior to travel. The tickeline website above enables you set an alert & get them cheap. I rarely pay more than 25 quid for an economy & you can usually at the weekend uprade for 15 quid to 1st (albeit no booze or food, just leg room and no working class people;)).

Cheers, will remember for next time. Didn't know about it until last week so couldn't have used this time anyway. Booked at £106.

Any accommodation tips Buckers? (or anyone) - thinking of doing a jaunt myself later in the year.

Any accommodation tips Buckers? (or anyone) - thinking of doing a jaunt myself later in the year.

Kingston Manor - 10 mins out of the centre of Edin - 2 nights £100 - 3rd night free

loads of Premier Inns and that malarky - in the centre - nr Waverley

shame its not glasgow your in on the saturday (8th).

Carl Craig @ the Sub Club
or
Seth Troxler @ the renfrew ferry

Last edited by a moderator:
Embarassingly, it's 15 years since I had to book and pay for a train for myself and I'm struggling:oops:. I'm off to a stag do in Edinburgh the second week in May but the rest of the party are travelling from Manchester and I'm meeting them there.

It appears there are a number of different providers - is there a site that collects them all?

(Beers owed to whoever works as my temp P.A.!:lol:)

Sliding doors this one. The stag was one of my best mates from University. I overdid it on the Friday night, ahead of the planned Saturday trip up and cried off 'ill'. Didn't get invited to the wedding and never ever heard from him again.

the euston-glasgow sleeper was the very last UK trip we did pre-lockdown, with quite a posh onboard clientele/menu (a far cry from the post-Arches post-apocalyptic 7am National Express of years previous)

the euston-glasgow sleeper was the very last UK trip we did pre-lockdown, with quite a posh onboard clientele/menu (a far cry from the post-Arches post-apocalyptic 7am National Express of years previous)
How long's the journey? I went with the missus a couple of years ago, and to a wedding a few years before that, but I can't remember.

How long's the journey? I went with the missus a couple of years ago, and to a wedding a few years before that, but I can't remember.

about 8 hours on the Caledonian + optional 40min extra at the end for breakfast before they kick you off. I really enjoyed it tho my missus didn't sleep that well. Nice to be pampered on a British train!

Looks nice experience but economically I can never make it stack up. Plus I travel to Edinburgh for work and the thought of going into meetings after a sleeper train drills fear into me compared to a 6am start and 9am flight from Gatwick

Back